Did I Pay Too Much for a Gold Bracelet?

SeaMike01

I wouldn't go anywhere near a gold shop at the moment.

They're desperate and not displaying the buy/sell price, just the sell price, they dont want to buy.

The buy/sell price over the years has been 100 baht difference, now I see 200 baht and have been told by a friend 1000 baht recently.

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I wouldn't go anywhere near a gold shop at the moment.

They're desperate and not displaying the buy/sell price, just the sell price, they dont want to buy.

The buy/sell price over the years has been 100 baht difference, now I see 200 baht and have been told by a friend 1000 baht recently.

They don't want to buy at the moment as a lot Thais selling their gold to get cash and the gold shops are running out of cash. Apparently a lot of the gold they buy is melted down and sold overseas but they are having troubling doing this due to limited flights. This info is from a few articles I have read.

I follow gold almost everyday. The spread did goto 300 baht spread but did not see it go any higher than that,

19 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

That price is the spot price for pure gold or .9999. Thai gold is only 96.5% and is NOT that price you quote.

The point is....if he paid 14,000 baht for half baht weight, he didn't get ripped off! More relevant, will she still have it in a few days?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The point is....if he paid 14,000 baht for half baht weight, he didn't get ripped off! More relevant, will she still have it in a few days?

Its not the point for your post. He bought Thai gold or 96.5% pure. You quoted 99.99% pure gold not readily available in Thai gold shops. 

If he paid too much or not or she has is in a few days has nothing to do with your misleading price quote,

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Its not the point for your post. He bought Thai gold or 96.5% pure. You quoted 99.99% pure gold not readily available in Thai gold shops. 

If he paid too much or not or she has is in a few days has nothing to do with your misleading price quote,

I really don't give a rat's toss, Daz, I didn't buy gold for anyone and you seem more affected than the buyer!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Besides the price of the gold they add bahmnet = commission to jewelry.  You can ask them beforehand what the bahmnet is for the piece.  And it is possible to bargain that down a little bit.

Also most are predicting gold to go up to $3,000/ounce in the next couple of years.  So even if you did overpay you might still be able to sell it later for a profit.

Edited by rwill

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

More relevant, will she still have it in a few days?

Ok guys, it's storytime.

Awhile back, the wife got an iPad from a friend she wanted to sell for her. Said she just needed money. We went to a few shops and got prices. At the last place they wanted to check it out. It started up, and immediately streamed in messages from a bunch of poor blokes. They even had places next to them so she could remember, "Kuwait", "Sweden". I later found she does this often, sells electronics to get cash, then asks the BFs for new ones, saying they were broken or stolen. Not saying this is happening to this guy, but be careful out there.

But on a more positive note, after this virus got going and I got word I wouldn't be working the next few months, I had to make a large withdrawal (for me, anyway) from savings. This concerned the wife, and thus she sold the gold necklace I got her without hesitation, and gave me the money. It's been said the Thais see their gold as a savings account. Nice to know that sometimes, it's not just for them.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
clarity

22 hours ago, SeaMike01 said:

Yeah, I know how to find the 1 baht price. I'm just trying to figure out what other nuances might cause the price to be more than 1/2 the 1 baht price. For instance the shop 'fee'.

People often under value the cost of converting raw gold into finished jewelry. You really can't compare the cost of gold per baht to the cost of finished jewelry per baht. You probably got exactly what you were promised. A nice solid 20 Karat gold bracelet for 566 bucks.

22 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Who buy now gold it's most exbensive in decade!

Maybe after few years your GF have to sell that and get 7000 bth and be really angry to you lol

Is it the gold that's expensive or the fiat currency that is becoming worthless?

22 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

People often under value the cost of converting raw gold into finished jewelry. You really can't compare the cost of gold per baht to the cost of finished jewelry per baht. You probably got exactly what you were promised. A nice solid 20 Karat gold bracelet for 566 bucks.

I just use app. Top 2 number s are bullion sell and buy, bottom are jewellery. Plus some gold shops charge a commission on buy and sell.

Thai gold is 23 karat.

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 9.44.21 am.png

Edited by Dazinoz

Just about every other gift you could buy her in that price range will be close to worthless in a few years, so in that context, if she gets to enjoy it for a while and has the option to cash in, it's a pretty good present.

• Like 1

Don't forget the karat of the gold.  Like 10K, 14K, 18K, 20K, 22K and 24K.  Many Thai (and Asians in general) want only 24K.  However, 24K is very soft and not suitable for jewelry.  My GF just bought a very nice 1 baht chain with pendent for 27500.  I don't know and she didn't even know to ask what K it was.  From looking at it, it does not appear to my untrained eye, to be 24K.  Usually when I see 24K it looks like a darker gold than the others.  At 27500, it is definitely a 24K price.  But to an Isaan partially educated girl, you can't expect them to always make an good choice.

34 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Don't forget the karat of the gold.  Like 10K, 14K, 18K, 20K, 22K and 24K.  Many Thai (and Asians in general) want only 24K.  However, 24K is very soft and not suitable for jewelry.  My GF just bought a very nice 1 baht chain with pendent for 27500.  I don't know and she didn't even know to ask what K it was.  From looking at it, it does not appear to my untrained eye, to be 24K.  Usually when I see 24K it looks like a darker gold than the others.  At 27500, it is definitely a 24K price.  But to an Isaan partially educated girl, you can't expect them to always make an good choice.

Thai gold jewellery bought in Thai gold shop is 23 karat or 96.5 %. 

• Like 2

The problem is the re-sale, you (she) might only get offered 13,000 if you ever want to upgrade/sell.

4000 B is a lot of money in Thailand.

I often buy gold in Thailand, I collect coins, banknotes and amulets, there's some great deals in local pawn shops, 2 in Pattaya I use all the time, might be worth a look next time, you'll get more for your cash.

• Confused 1

If you  didnt shop around  you will never know.   At MBK I had a guy quote me a price.  Another day I was told a much lower price by a woman at the same  shop.   There is different qualities of finish on jewelry.  I have very good eyes.  Take a magnifying glass when you shop for gold.  Dont just buy for weight.   Thai people think Thai gold is the only good gold in the world they don't understand 14 karat makes much more durable jewelry and is sold in the rest of the world.  I do have to say the price of Jewelry in Thailand is even cheaper than buying jewelry at a pawn shop locally here in USA.  in my opinion the price for labor is very low.  If a jeweler has to work on a piece of jewelry for a day in Thailand that maybe $30 of Labor.  So it doesn't add much cost.  I tell my girlfriend i buy you  gift of jewelry and if you have man like me and we plan our finances you will never need to  sell it.

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, they do not advertise or display this spread.....1000 baht.

My friend asked within, the shop owner.

I have done a lot of buying/selling gold over last few years. The normal spread is clearly advertised on their board or Thai Gold app plus some commission which can be negotiated and is not displayed. I look at my app just before I go into shop and check their board as I go in. Nearly always the same, sometimes just has not been changed yet as gold price can change many times in a day, especially lately. See my previously posted chart and you will see that gold jewellery can be 1000 spread but never on bars (bullion). As I previously said i have been following almost daily for a few years and highest I have seen is 300 (on bars).

I don't buy jewellery so I don't know commission on it but an interesting thing is if I buy a 5baht baror bigger bar there is no commission. Bars under 5 baht I get charged 200 (commission not spread) at the shop I use. Recently sold a 5 baht bar back to them and expected to pay commission on sell back but no, just paid advertised price. Don't know how they make money there. I guess mostly on jewellery.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Heppinger said:

Is it the gold that's expensive or the fiat currency that is becoming worthless?

Probably a bit of both but does it really matter? I buy goods in fiat currency so if I get more of that selling gold I don't care if gold up or fiat down, end result is all that matters.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

If you  didnt shop around  you will never know.   At MBK I had a guy quote me a price.  Another day I was told a much lower price by a woman at the same  shop.   There is different qualities of finish on jewelry.  I have very good eyes.  Take a magnifying glass when you shop for gold.  Dont just buy for weight.   Thai people think Thai gold is the only good gold in the world they don't understand 14 karat makes much more durable jewelry and is sold in the rest of the world.  I do have to say the price of Jewelry in Thailand is even cheaper than buying jewelry at a pawn shop locally here in USA.  in my opinion the price for labor is very low.  If a jeweler has to work on a piece of jewelry for a day in Thailand that maybe $30 of Labor.  So it doesn't add much cost.  I tell my girlfriend i buy you  gift of jewelry and if you have man like me and we plan our finances you will never need to  sell it.

Most Euro every day ring type stuff is 9k. No reason but ive allways wanted a nugget from Alaska rather than a smelted thing.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Probably a bit of both but does it really matter? I buy goods in fiat currency so if I get more of that selling gold I don't care if gold up or fiat down, end result is all that matters.

For now. though gold has been used as money for 5000 years, where as all fiat currency have an expiry date. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

For now. though gold has been used as money for 5000 years, where as all fiat currency have an expiry date. 

And I think that expiry date is rapidly approaching.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

And I think that expiry date is rapidly approaching.

Possibly.  The problem is all fiat currencies are pegged to the US dollar, so can only assume they all must go down together? Solution: one world currency? ????