Who pays

mrloy99

On 5/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, bkk6060 said:

I don't know.

Was advised a long time ago that any traffic accident no matter what is your fault.

Why? Because you are here.  If you were not here it would not have happened.

Seems to be supported by some I know who have been in accidents.

So, you called for the sand and should have been present to control the tipping.

Due to these factors, the fault will be yours.

Your wife seems to understand the Thai thinking on these issues.

Not saying any of it is right, just the way it is.

What are you rambling about? Why would he pay for something a sloppy driver caused? You seem to believe everything you read or hear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

We were having extensions done recently when the cement truck brought down the power pole. Found out later that we owned the pole, not PEA. The builder knew it was the drivers fault but did not want to get him into trouble so we agreed to replace the pole 50/50 between the builder and us. 2800 baht for a new pole and the builder did the connections.

Wow. 

Both is kind of right?  I'm more with post #2 the Brit man, this is Thailand got to play the same game they play?

It was an accident the poor driver isn't like he is working for a S.P 500 company in a Union making top dollar and sand company with top notch insurance.  It was only a tug of the wire if this pole was put in the way it should it would have taken much more to get it to tilt or bend.

I like this one, call the Utility and tell them it has been bending for some time after the storm it is getting worse, you call Farang?  the guy might be replacing the whole SOI by the time they are finished with him. You guys do know the due pricing that goes on in Thailand .

What else from a Thai they are so conditioned brainwashed especially when they got a farang in the payroll, just like government when it isn't your money who cares!  Just tell her what I save I will give it to you that will change her tune real quick!????????

On 5/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, bkk6060 said:

Was advised a long time ago that any traffic accident no matter what is your fault.

Well, that's not true, so never start out that way. If you made a mistake, it's your fault, but don't take the above as truth.

• Like 1

Well thank you for all your replies especially wife doubters.It turns out she was correct(up to a point)It was up to me to pay for the repairs to the neighbours property-it was nothing what so ever to do with them,as they did not have a 'contract' with the delivery company,whereas I did...to have the sand delivered....It was then up to me to give the repair  bill to the builders merchants,which I did and  who have now paid up and settled the bill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrloy99 said:

Well thank you for all your replies especially wife doubters.It turns out she was correct(up to a point)It was up to me to pay for the repairs to the neighbours property-it was nothing what so ever to do with them,as they did not have a 'contract' with the delivery company,whereas I did...to have the sand delivered....It was then up to me to give the repair  bill to the builders merchants,which I did and  who have now paid up and settled the bill.

If you have a contract with a delivery company to deliver to your home, and it crashes while still 10Km from your home .......... are you still responsible for any damage they caused?

At what distance from your home do you assume all liability, and they have no responsibility?

On 5/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, BritManToo said:

It'll only cost a couple of hundred baht, why worry?

With all due respect, it's not the amount of money that is relevant, but the principal of the matter. 

The highly trained, professional and ever alert driver carries the sole responsibility of the vehicle he/she is operating. 

If we boil everything down to "it's only a few hundred, thousand, hundred thousand, etc. Baht", then there is absolutely no motivation for them to act in a professional, caring manner or take responsibility. 

They'll never move forwad if they're always chasing their own tails. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1