Thaksin says Thai lockdown a mistake

snoop1130

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

two thousand people were murdered within one month during takhsin's "war on drugs".

so i don't think he could care less about few thousand more dying of covid to "save the economy".

Do you have a link for that claim that 2000 people were murdered? Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Unfortunately drugs always bring bad news but you notice something in Thailand today there's no longer a drug problem.
Now google 2010 crackdown those were civilians killed and not drug dealers.

think you need to open your eyes or at least read more, drugs are still a problem here and have been for years, if you have lived here for a few years you should be well aware of it 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What bush have you been hiding under. There are drugs everywhere especially in every small low rent housing area. Also loan sharks and other pillars of society.

But you can't compare it to 2003 and a lot less people being killed by drug dealers

yes of course you still some you hear it on the news funny they always seem to Foreigners.
Funny some foreigners hate Thaksin about the war on drugs but most Thai's think it was the best thing he did wonder why.

Edited by DirtyHarry55

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:
9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And does the GF know what Thaksin did to enrich himself? Of does GF only listen what the red-shirts and facebook tell her?

In my experience there are lots of Thais who support him. And most of them don't know the truth. They believe his propaganda. Ask any of them for details about Thaksin's crimes and most of them don't know or deny, deny, deny. 

So you know better then?

Yes, better than most I would think. Because it seems most Thais don't follow the news. Maybe they follow some very one-sided shows like truth today or some facebook red-shirt stories.

I am in Thailand since before Thaksin came to power. I read national and international news every day. And I remember lots of news about Thaksin. I remember at that time thinking often: How long will Thais accept this kind of behavior. It was not only that he was corrupt like many, it seems he really tried to rub it in and show everybody how corrupt he can be and get away with. A prime example was the loan from Thailand to Myanmar to buy equipment from his private company. And he as PM decided to add some extra money to that loan for his private pocket.

I was here when the 2006 coup happened. The military was on the streets and everything was peaceful. People were happy and gave the soldiers flowers and soft drinks.

And I was here when the red-shirts brought chaos to town. When they burned down a bus and at that time we though how bad will it get. And it got a lot worse.

Later, in 2010, I worked sometimes in an office in the red-shirt controlled center of town and I had to ask them at their bamboo and tire barriers if they allow me to pass. And the police did obviously nothing.

I could go on and on. Thaksin divided the nation like nobody before him. He did a couple of good things but it seems his main motivation was to give out crumbs so that he could get the cake.

From time to time I ask Thai people what they think about him. And I asked them about specific scandals. Most Thais didn't know. And if I asked them where they think Thaksins money comes from their only answer was something like: Abhisit has more money - which is not true.

I am happy that the military removed Thaksin and that they removed his little clone sister. Unfortunately lots of red-shirt leaders never went to jail.

Prayut is obviously not perfect but compared to Thaksin I prefer him every day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Unfortunately drugs always bring bad news but you notice something in Thailand today there's no longer a drug problem.
Now google 2010 crackdown those were civilians killed and not drug dealers.

:cheesy:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Who cares what Thaksin thinks? Isn't he a criminal like his sister? Typical greedy nature.

Actually his sister is a criminal like him as he was first.....

I agree with him regarding the wrongs of the lockdown as the economical hardship will hurt way more people than the covid, however, it's not like Thailand is the only country nor was it the first under lockdown, and as the whole world is basically under lockdown and there are hardly any flights going anywhere it would make no difference if Thailand would have stayed open. 

As for SARS - he wasn't here during that outbreak so he didn't deal with it. And the bird flu - 1. His way of dealing with it was to say there is no such thing and to "prove" his point he arranged a chicken bbq for all members of parliament at sanam luang (only no one knows if he used Thai chickens or imported chickens...) and 2. Chicken flu didn't spread from human to human as far as I can remember. 

But he was already very good at sweet talk....

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, thai006 said:

taksin is right by the way  thailand is not country like france , germany , UK  

when you no work in thailand u not got money like these other country    , oh yeah 5000b  what a joke some people just spend that mount of money in just one night here lol 

But when you’re in Thailand you usually have family to fall back on.... not like in Western Europe. It’s where south east Asia easily puts the west to shame.

More TV warriors at play! Isn’t it amazing that In UK Boris is being lambasted by Sir Kier for not locking down quickly enough and killing tens of thousands needlessly, and here in Thailand Prayut ( who’s NOT on my Christmas card list by the way) is being lambasted for locking down early and only losing 56? 
everyone who DIDNT have yo make the decisions is now an expert. Well done guys. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings,

Thaksin, he has a mild case of dementia and he's a criminal, so we just need to tell him shut-up and don't forget to take his morning medications!

He was also responsible for the tak bai massacre on October 25 2004, which we will not forget.

Edited by fxe1200
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Thaksin brought the first sense of democracy to the country. He was also a master at exploiting populism to serve himself through that same democracy. The others had no idea how to compete in this new era, so they reacted in the only way they knew, with fear and repression.

As a parallel to the COVID controversy he has addressed, would it have been better to let the fledgling democracy go through the growing pains needed for it to mature; i.e let the virus run a more natural course, or was the country better served by destroying democracy with autocratic rule...again? Their actions express their belief that Thais cannot be trusted with a democracy.

Hopefully, the transition to greater freedoms and democracy is inevitable. Unfortunately, the country has lost 20 years of valuable maturation of the democratic process as a result. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2