Thaksin says Thai lockdown a mistake

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I see you are back to the but, but, but comments once again.

I clearly remember the furore when Thaksin declared his assets at his first election win.

BTW has Prayuth declared ALL his assets as required by law or is still under the impression that he is above the law of the land?

And do you remember all the bribery that went on with the PPRP? How some ex MPs were offered large sums of money to desert their previous parties and join the PPRP.

How the current government abused the laws to get legally elected MPs banned from standing in parliament and even getting their parties disbanded.

Do you remember how Thaksin the current government is doing the same and worse using the law, threats, intimidation, to try and stifle critics and opponents?

I suppose that you are OK with that. 

And 74 to The £... Yep I remember.

• Like 1

He's totally right; not often I find good things to say about him, but let's not shoot the messenger.

However, I think his comments are a little naive in the sense that it's not the Thai government calling the shots, but the WHO. No country at the time of SARS or bird flu locked down their country. The world was open and it was pretty much business as usual. A few countries wore masks but apart from China I don't think they were mandatory anywhere else and temperature checks certainly didn't happen (except in China).

That being said, governments do have some leverage in deciding how much they want to lock down their economy, as we've seen with Sweden essentially not locking down anything (but still closing their borders).

Were Thaksin in power now with the attitude he has expressed in his comments, then I suspect Thailand might have done one of several things: 1) only had a partial lockdown, similar to Cambodia; 2) or essentially no lockdown or social distancing campaign (similar to Mexico, Brazil, Belarus and Sweden) with the western liberal press strongly criticizing this decision and essentially asking why Thailand is not exercising power to control it's citizens (under the guise of "protecting" the public of course - which is how it has responded to the decisions made by these 4 countries to not lockdown); 3) a more measured response with quick re-opening of the economy, perhaps sooner than even Vietnam has proven.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Thaksin wasn't perfect but he would have taken care of the people

Made sure they had Face Masks for protection and food to eat and not just sold them to the highest bidder for profit.

I presume with the comments he just made, he would NOT have made face mask wearing compulsory either. That's the key - making anything mandatory with threats of fines and prison sentences is nothing less than an gross abuse of power. It's tyranny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

Is that a serious question?

I can think of loads, here are some samples: 

With all of the major airports running at extremely low capacity, then the 10's of Thousands of workers that support this industry.

Support industries for car manufacturing etc.

Offshore support industry hit very badly.

Domestic shopping outside of food has dropped enormously.

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions affected outside of tourism, if you include tourism it is close to 30% of the total workforce in Thailand.

Yes!

Airports were suffering reduced usage before the lockdown.

Domestic auto suppliers ground to a halt because the Auto Companies shutdown due to incoming part availability.... happens when china takes an extended new year holiday.

ETC ETC ETC.

Basically everything you have stated was already heavily affected before the lockdown.

So I ask again... Other than domestic tourism what else has been affected by the lockdown ?

2 hours ago, yasin said:

This planneddemic thing is the biggest scam of all times! I cant believe people are still falling for it.

The same people that "believe" the current agenda are the same people who believed that the 911 three "Twin" Towers fell down, now they are reaping the rewards of their beliefs as they empowered the people behind that scam, stage two of the "New World Order; now in progress!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Had he served his time like a man, they could possibly have had him.

have you been watching a lot of "B" grade movies during the lockdown? ???? 

37 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Funny though, Thaksin wasn't prepared to let any kind of media criticize him. He was happy for people to think for themselves as long as they agreed with him. He completely squeezed the life out of the growing press freedom in the years before he came to power. He was in a position to do so much more for the people of Thailand but after his early gifts to the people decided to help himself, and didn't want that to come under scrutiny. 

Good point. I can't comment much on the development of censorship and press restrictions in Thailand back that far, since that takes me to an era when I was too young to remember or even have any idea of such things. Doing some research on his time in power, I concur with you that he was simply a lesser version of what we have now. We can compare him with say Obama, since Thaksin was definitely more left-leaning (just like Obama was): make lots of promises, promise reforms and more freedoms, but once you are in power you start cracking down on these freedoms in order to prevent any scrutiny of your handling of various situations (for example, his horrible handling of the southern crisis and the war on drugs).

I don't think there was ever a time in Thailand's history (and the same can be said for most Asian countries) where governments didn't rule with an autocratic fist. There are several reasons why Thailand may have appeared to be "free" back then, one of which is it didn't have the resources, and was too poor to enforce every single little law. Also, corruption ensured that few laws were properly enforced.

Over the years, law enforcement has been strengthened and crackdowns on freedom have occurred regularly. They definitely pre-date the current government.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Airports were suffering reduced usage before the lockdown.

Domestic auto suppliers ground to a halt because the Auto Companies shutdown due to incoming part availability.... happens when china takes an extended new year holiday.

ETC ETC ETC.

Basically everything you have stated was already heavily affected before the lockdown.

So I ask again... Other than domestic tourism what else has been affected by the lockdown ?

80-90% of Thai auto parts are produced locally; they are not that reliant on Chinese parts, unlike Vietnam and other countries who merely assemble vehicles. Thai vehicles are built from the ground up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, drbeach said:

That's the key - making anything mandatory with threats of fines and prison sentences is nothing less than an gross abuse of power. It's tyranny.

I do like that anarchist tone, but that statement includes all laws such as registering in a civil system.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

That's a very good point. The information and knowledge age we live in makes much more information readily available to a wider audience.

Not only modern and current politicians across the globe, but also some of those revered from the past, are shown to be less than pristine, honest, ethical, moral characters when reviewed.

And many, at the time were incredibly popular; excellent motivators and many delivered some very good things.

Human nature?

But even with all that information lots of people vote for the corrupt and incompetent. Amazing!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, drbeach said:

80-90% of Thai auto parts are produced locally; they are not that reliant on Chinese parts, unlike Vietnam and other countries who merely assemble vehicles. Thai vehicles are built from the ground up.

Ford Thailand shutdown both plants initially due to running out of stock of parts that are China sourced.

Edited by Don Mega

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But even with all that information lots of people vote for the corrupt and incompetent. Amazing!

Yep. Have you notices how many elections seem to be about choosing "the least worse; best of a bad bunch"?

Sometimes, the anarchists seem to have some valid points! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Thaksin wasn't perfect but he would have taken care of the people

Made sure they had Face Masks for protection and food to eat and not just sold them to the highest bidder for profit.

Dream on! He and his little sister screwed many of the poor farmers they promised to make millionaires!

And made themselves and their clan very rich in the process. 

He doesn't give a monkey's chuff about "the people". They are expendable - as he proved with his cowardice when making sure he and his family were well away during any trouble.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Dream on! He and his little sister screwed many of the poor farmers they promised to make millionaires!

And made themselves and their clan very rich in the process. 

He doesn't give a monkey's chuff about "the people". They are expendable - as he proved with his cowardice when making sure he and his family were well away during any trouble.

more than likley; too many middleman Public Servants jumped in to sabotage the pig trough's fund drainage... 

3 hours ago, yasin said:

This planneddemic thing is the biggest scam of all times! I cant believe people are still falling for it. There's no such virus that you can catch coming close to people or taking a walk at the park. Viruses don't even cause sickness and actually are excretion of our cells under stress from environmental toxins and dead cells. They are by products of our bodies cleansing efforts. The "germ theory" is only a theory that serves the dirty & evil pharma industry perfectly hence being pushing by them. No one has ever isolated a virus and been able to infect another  with the same exact disease. What they are actually doing is taking some genetic material from aborted fetal tissue, monkey kidney etc. Mix it up with poisonous heavy metals and tens of different chemicals, mix em up and inject it into others bodies what causes an extreme shock since things that are not supposed to be there in ones body and have no chance to get in there under normal circumstances. This so called vaccine raises all the alarm bells in the body and can cause extreme shock and death! So The only way to give someone a virus is to"inject" it into them.

This all corona thing is the biggest lie of our life times. There are no people dying out of ordinary hence the general death rate is lower than even years prior to 2020. They're just re classifying normal deaths as Covid 19. That's how they're come up with those numbers. Even the test has shown that it's a complete joke by Tanzanian president who ordered samples taken from motor oil, a goat, a papaya fruit and a quail and put human age and names on them, the papaya and goat samples returned positive! If not enough people wake up to this fact we will all be herded into extreme tyranny and dictatorship that no one has ever seen before, all because of "nothing"! 

You hit the nail on the head. These fools are going to March directly to their deaths. It boggles my mind that are so many stupid sheep, unbelievable

52 minutes ago, johng said:

Why would anyone want to serve time for "trumped up" charges  brought forward and pushed by the very people who stole the country  in a military coup :wacko:

They would be the charges that he actually didn't dispute? 

First he tried to give the money he and then wifey made back. Thinking that would end it.

Then he tried to bribe the judges with the famous pastry box filled with money for which his lawyer served time.

And you don't find it suspicious that his wife was one of very few bidders on a tender for government land, won with the highest bid out of all the very very low bids; and then sold the land for a massive high price?

He most certainly isn't the only corrupt politician in Thailand. But most certainly was one of the worst.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, yasin said:

This planneddemic thing is the biggest scam of all times! I cant believe people are still falling for it. There's no such virus that you can catch coming close to people or taking a walk at the park. Viruses don't even cause sickness and actually are excretion of our cells under stress from environmental toxins and dead cells. They are by products of our bodies cleansing efforts. The "germ theory" is only a theory that serves the dirty & evil pharma industry perfectly hence being pushing by them. No one has ever isolated a virus and been able to infect another  with the same exact disease. What they are actually doing is taking some genetic material from aborted fetal tissue, monkey kidney etc. Mix it up with poisonous heavy metals and tens of different chemicals, mix em up and inject it into others bodies what causes an extreme shock since things that are not supposed to be there in ones body and have no chance to get in there under normal circumstances. This so called vaccine raises all the alarm bells in the body and can cause extreme shock and death! So The only way to give someone a virus is to"inject" it into them.

This all corona thing is the biggest lie of our life times. There are no people dying out of ordinary hence the general death rate is lower than even years prior to 2020. They're just re classifying normal deaths as Covid 19. That's how they're come up with those numbers. Even the test has shown that it's a complete joke by Tanzanian president who ordered samples taken from motor oil, a goat, a papaya fruit and a quail and put human age and names on them, the papaya and goat samples returned positive! If not enough people wake up to this fact we will all be herded into extreme tyranny and dictatorship that no one has ever seen before, all because of "nothing"! 

read up on smallpox 4. Smallpox—A European Disease Ravages the New World

https://www.history.com/news/pandemics-end-plague-cholera-black-death-smallpox

10 minutes ago, tifino said:

more than likley; too many middleman Public Servants jumped in to sabotage the pig trough's fund drainage... 

The rice scam was designed like that from the very beginning.

The farmers voted for it. And the middlemen and politicians profited.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1