I’m annoyed...

I've had this experience myself in Sisaket. 

Also some other farangs from the same office. 

I have a theory that the smaller offices need to justify their existence by making work for themselves, so as not to get merged or taken over by bigger offices in neighbouring cities. 

In my case ubon Ratchathani. 

Ive had these visits twice. 

At first I felt uneasy about the treatment, 

But if I weigh up the pros and cons, it takes me no more than 10 mins to do my 90 day report, and the staff have always been very helpful, and I've never had to pay an agent or a cup of tea. 

So if they drop in on me from time to time, they are more than welcome. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, nongsung said:

Yes, non-o retirement for 12 years now and every time a home visit.

mukdahan office...

I'm on my third year teaching in a school in Muk. just got my first visit from them today, somewhat surprised too...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, nongsung said:

And absurd too that they had to get the directions

to our house from my wife, by telephone.

They have our drawn map, they have 12 freaking drawn

maps.

Is your house difficult to find (ignoring immigration's calls)? Have you supplied exactly the same map to other people - did they manage to find your house?

I'm asking because the couple of times immigration have visited us they have found it using our map.

I drew the map on the PC marking everything in Thai & English, so absolutely everyone is given the same map.

Having said that, I mark the distance from the traffic lights to our house as 3.2km so that's to the nearest hundred metres (not 3km or 3.5km), plus including the name of a soi opposite our house (offset by twenty metres). It also has our GPS location marked on the map too.

Yet others, (Thais and ferangs) have phoned about a km before getting to the house to ask where it is.

I know you can't always win, despite giving very clear information.

As Crossy's footnote on his posts says: "I can EXPLAIN it to you, but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

20 years now and nothing but polite IOs and never ever a home visit...

But, just remember what an average Thai would need to go through to live in your country.. if they could. 

Yes it would be a lot easier

5 hours ago, biggerpill said:

been on a non-o for 6 years. on farm near phayao.( when i,m there).had 1 visit from local police..did not speak english asked too many personal questions and i told my wife to tell him to <deleted>-k himself.all my answers i told him 7-11, shopping food,bank,etc.that was 6 years ago..should have read the writing on the wall...time to say goodbye to thailand

So one local cop that asked you personal questions was a writing on the wall because of this individual story and event, which is very rare? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kenk24 said:

But, just remember what an average Thai would need to go through to live in your country.. if they could. 

They'd only need to go through it once ....... not every year (for 20 years).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

They'd only need to go through it once ....... not every year.

like I said, different... 

my immigration obligation takes a few hours a year... not much time or difficulty, pretty much the same year after year.. a friend spent a year trying to get a green card for his wife to go to usa... far far more difficult... 

your Brit Man friends if they have a passport can just come here and have a month free - no big deal... for a Thai to visit USA it begins with a hefty fee just for the application, which is not refundable and not a guarantee and that is just the beginning of the process.. 

Here on Koh Phangan I had a visit first time ever by three immigration officers from Suratthani I think they a looking at opening an office on the island which is well overdue . I found them very polite they asked me who else lived in the property I told them my wife who was stuck over in the U.K. due to all the flight cancellations they asked to look at my passport and were happy and advised me that although my yearly extension of stay expires in the middle of June I was okay until 31st July I’m hoping my wife could be back by then as she is my dependent one of them might have taken a photo of me I’m unsure and off they went as I said I found them very polite I even exchanged phone numbers with the guy who seemed to be in charge just in case I have issues over my extension of stay but he was adamant that I would be good until end of July it’s very difficult with the current situation to get off the island.

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

advised me that although my yearly extension of stay expires in the middle of June I was okay until 31st July

Although consensus here is that you should extend it when you can and not let it expire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

They'd only need to go through it once

Though if going to Brit... after arrival they get a house, car, monthly stipends and a proper butler... while Brit Man 3,4,5 & 6 have to work all day and then pay tax to watch the telly in the evening... 

Is that available if you come in by plane legally - or just if you arrive unexpected by boat? [I want to know because I am planning my next vacation] 

• Sad 1

Just now, kenk24 said:

Is that available if you come in by plane legally - or just if you arrive unexpected by boat? [I want to know because I am planning my next vacation] 

I don't think it's available for white men, no matter how you arrive.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

Just now, pineapple01 said:

Home visits were caused by Ferangs getting married just for easy long stay. Imo found out these Bums never stayed home up country, just went back to their Bar Stools in Soi 6.

Link to any source that suggests this please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

your Brit Man friends if they have a passport can just come here and have a month free - no big deal... for a Thai to visit USA it begins with a hefty fee just for the application, which is not refundable and not a guarantee and that is just the beginning of the process.. 

But, you also need to remember that the likelihood of a Brit coming to Thailand to be a sex worker, or to set up a knocking shop is quite low. Hence, the extra checks for the Thais. Yes, the majority are fine, but governments need to make immigration decisions on past law breaking.

Compare that the number of 'Brits' relocating to Thailand and setting up unlawful businesses, then that figure is quite low, if non-existent. ????  So, why the hate and the never ending checks?  ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You tell me... why do I never ever never get any hate or checks? About 20 years here too... Immigration has been very helpful to me the couple of times I screwed up through the years... always polite and friendly and sorted things out for me... I am certainly polite to them, unlike some of the people on TVF who brag abt cursing them out etc... Do IO's in your country take <deleted> from immigrants? 

Similar to me, apart from the odd jobsworth asking for documents that are really not required, however, apart from that, no issues from me either.

I was referring to the many people here on TVF that seem to have regular issues. ????

• Like 1

I suggest if you don’t like it, then after covid/19, you can fly out. You are a guest in this country and you have to deal with anything and everything they throw at you. Sorry to say. 

• Like 2