I’m annoyed...

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Link to any source that suggests this please.

Why? touched a nerve has it. Only 27years of being marreid here and listening to the nice Imo Chaps reply to my questions on the subject when these visits started.

A personal attack flaming a member and a reply to it have been removed.

Forum rule.

"7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed."

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I didn't say things are the same and don't know why you would think so... I did say it is more difficult for most Thais [actually impossible] to even visit a Western country - than it is for us to come and live here... 

And sorry, but I just don't find the repetition to be difficult - I am glad how easy it is to live here. 

Do you actually know what you are talking about?Thais like to overstay their Visa and disappear.If a Thai can prove he has reason to return to Thailand and has enough money to support himself/herself they will always get a visa,of course Jeerapha from Buriram with a soi 8 job will have a problem to obtain a visa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Home visits were caused by Ferangs getting married just for easy long stay. Imo found out these Bums never stayed home up country, just went back to their Bar Stools in Soi 6.

Why would it be cheaper/better to get married, than pay 12K for a no-financials, no-landlord-docs, no-home-visit, 5-minute processing-time, retirement-extension from Immigration's agent-partners?  

You are kidding, right?  Some of the worst treatment stories are from "up-country" - where those who Actually Moved There apply for extensions.  

The worst extension-process-hell is reserved for those of us who support a Thai wife.  The anti-farang Immigration clique (not all of them) hate us supporting Thais they consider "unworthy."  They use most of their venom on your Thai wife - as if she did something very wrong by marrying you.  There is no sane reason for this, but insane reasons include envy, racism, xenophobia, and agent-money greed.  Take your pick.

50 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Why? touched a nerve has it. Only 27years of being marreid here and listening to the nice Imo Chaps reply to my questions on the subject when these visits started.

I've been reading here too, but never read ANY case like that here in years.  Perhaps you can link to one, instead of repeating the "immigration training manual" lies/propaganda they use to manufacture abusive IOs, to maximize agent-money returns.

At some point in one of those discussions, someone sent me a link to an article about some guy from India, who paid for a marriage, so he could work here illegally as an "underground appliance salesman." 

Ahhh, I thought - yes, that is surely what those with passports from higher-wage nations (much higher) marry Thai gals to do - so totally explains how they treat us.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wmlc said:

I suggest if you don’t like it, then after covid/19, you can fly out. You are a guest in this country and you have to deal with anything and everything they throw at you. Sorry to say. 

Abandon his wife?  Well, that is exactly what many immigration offices aim to achieve - with every dirty trick in the book possible ... unless you use a payoff-agent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You do realise Thailand is in the Northern hemisphere?

Bangkok shows at about 1,000 miles from the Equator. Thailand could have adopted a culture more assimilated to the Northern Hemisphere. Could.

And I also realise that Aus and NZ are there in the south. They chose another way of life.

Other countries in the northern hemisphere have also adopted a different way of life. Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Kenya, and Somalia. Not exactly USA or Great Britain...

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

A number of things come in to play, inconsistency among the offices and regions, type of visa applied for, changes to visa, why etc ? and of course, everyone has a bad day occasionally.

That said, in my own recent experience, they are unjustifiably rude, arrogant and intimidating.

14 years no real issues, change to Marriage visa and all over me and the wife like a rash, 80+ pages of application, witnesses, statements, more copies, 45  minute interrogation home visit and more. Disgusting what we were put through, when you consider I have already been here 14 years !!

I had no idea... Not only have I had complete ease and clear sailing but everyone I know too... 

My home visit many years ago only entailed immigration coming to the house , not entering but asking two of my neighbours if I lived there and then they left never to be seen again.

1 minute ago, Andre0720 said:

Bangkok shows at about 1,000 miles from the Equator. Thailand could have adopted a culture more assimilated to the Northern Hemisphere. Could.

And I also realise that Aus and NZ are there in the south. They chose another way of life.

Other countries in the northern hemisphere have also adopted a different way of life. Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Kenya, and Somalia. Not exactly USA or Great Britain...

I think it's that different races with different cultures are the driving factors behind the differences between countries and not so much Geographical location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Thailand is not on this Wikipedia Third World country list....... so that is that.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/third-world-countries/

Yes this is the politically correct view of the world.

Such as 'developing country'.

A country that has no laws on the roads, corruption as a way of life for too many in a position of authority, no concept of 'responsibility', no caring for other people's life, where so many men do not care to know about children they have procreated, let alone having a will to support them.

So I do think that the list there above must be missing some countries...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I had no idea... Not only have I had complete ease and clear sailing but everyone I know too... 

It boils down to these factors:

• The type of extension for which you apply
  • What office, including what personnel handle that specific type of extension in that office
  • If for marriage-based: what the district-office, which must approve the extension, imposes on the offices in its jurisdiction

Then, the degree of corruption and/or corruption-strategy in that chain, determines your relative ease or difficulty.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, thequietman said:

Had a visit on first application - never again after that. ????

I only got one visit after applying too. Unless you report a change i don't know why they need to keep visiting. I had a couple of very professional guys visit. No issues. You can check with immigration if annual visits are in the regulations. I suspect not.

Just don't speak to anyone.  Cover your face, wear an old torn hat, faded clothes, don't smile or chat to staff.  They won't notice you.  I've learnt over time it's best not to speak to anyone unless they friends.

Edited by johnray

17 hours ago, kenk24 said:

apples and oranges - - there are costs involved in getting a green card and many requirements to meet.. much much more difficult to do then flying in to the airport and getting stamped in for 30 days free... one friend met all the qualifications for his wife and it still took a year to get... and if not married, she had no chance... 

Far easier to meet requirements here... 

do you actually know the requirements in the UK for example 

Here's a starter

- visa type 

- financial 

- 90 day reports 

- annual renewals and finances 

- age limits 

- married unmarried 

- home visits 

how does that line up with the UK for example - I don't know which is why I am asking "you" you seem to have knowledge of such things

Edited by smedly

On 5/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, nongsung said:

Yes, non-o retirement for 12 years now and every time a home visit.

mukdahan office...

What!!!! I've never had a home visit in 21 years....for retirement? Maybe they like your wife's cakes or maybe....are you hansum??? You never know with Thai immi??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wmlc said:

I suggest if you don’t like it, then after covid/19, you can fly out. You are a guest in this country and you have to deal with anything and everything they throw at you. Sorry to say. 

does that mean we can't share and discuss it - are you telling everyone on this thread to effectively shut up ?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, kenk24 said:

20 years now and nothing but polite IOs and never ever a home visit...

But, just remember what an average Thai would need to go through to live in your country.. if they could. 

No stupid 90 day reporting to keep the power trippers happy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

just say hi ... and treat it as a welcome visit ... don't stress ... no issues .... just laugh and wai ...  

it's all over in no time and it wasn't that painful now was it   !

How do you know Steven, are you not always too p!ssed to remember? ????

• Haha 1

Just now, pineapple01 said:

More Rubbish. Not a detail if why you have a prob.

Every Single Documented Requirement.  Every Single Time they invent more "undocumented" requirements.  When you meet those and return, then they add additional new "undocumented" requirements.

• Like 2