Atorvastatin 10 mg.

Why Me

from MIMS a couple more are listed:

For the past several yearsI've been using Atorvastatin 20mg split in half and taken every other day. my Atorvastatin (by Sandoz) costs me 700thb in a box of 30 so by splitting them and skipping a day I get 120 days out of the package .  I'm going to check the price on Sheryl's suggestions.

• Thanks 1

I bought my my first statin yesterday.

Atorvastatin Sandoz 40mg .....bought 3 cards of 10 tabs from which I plan 40 doses per card when quartered....cost 190bt. per card at Cargo CM.

Just took the first dose.

Problem is its a coated tablet and did not quarter at all well it crumbled as I cut into the skin.

If it is coated am I even supposed to cut it? or is it supposed to go through to th intestine before digestion?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It is OK to split atorvastatin (the coating is not medically functional).  However, I suggest using a pill splitter next time, rather than a sledge hammer.

Perhaps he used a hammer and bolstet.

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

I take Beastatin 10. Doc says only need to take half now. You try splittin those tiny 10s . i take one every other day now.

Not a good idea.  Simvastatin has a very short half life (<5 hours), so taking double the dose on alternate days does not give you the same protection as taking a single dose every day.  This rough chart shows (with a few simplifications) the dose remaining in the body for the first 48 hours.

dosage.png.66522b5f59a13e0b63ea71bca59e0dc2.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Not a good idea.  Simvastatin has a very short half life (<5 hours), so taking double the dose on alternate days does not give you the same protection as taking a single dose every day.  This rough chart shows (with a few simplifications) the dose remaining in the body for the first 48 hours.

dosage.png.66522b5f59a13e0b63ea71bca59e0dc2.png

True but the pill thing makes it shatter it so small

Another question:

I’ve read one shouldn’t mix statins with grapefruit

I love to eat Som-O (pomelo?)

It is definitely similar to grapefruit… I would hate to give it Up we have two trees in the garden most refreshing taste

What is there a specific chemical in grapefruit To avoid

14 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Another question:

I’ve read one shouldn’t mix statins with grapefruit

I love to eat Som-O (pomelo?)

It is definitely similar to grapefruit… I would hate to give it Up we have two trees in the garden most refreshing taste

What is there a specific chemical in grapefruit To avoid

You have two basic options. One is to avoid eating pomelo and drinking pomelo juice. The other is to keep enjoying pomelo but talk with your doctor about switching to a statin that isn't affected by grapefruit, such as fluvastatin (Lescol), pravastatin (Pravachol), or rosuvastatin (Crestor).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/does-pomelo-juice-affect-drugs-the-same-way-grapefruit-juice-does

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The issue is only with simvastatin and lovastatin and with high quantity of grapefruit (the study thst showed the interactioninvolved consumption of 2 qts of grapefruit juice a day).

But no one knows exactly what amount if grapefryit would be safe.

Best option is to change statin as other poster suggested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

I only need 20mg and pay 630thb for 30 tabs

So would save you about 150 baht a month to cut - but from my experience they are not the best tablets to cut so expect I would pay the extra.

Atorvastatin is so cheap in the US, that my insurance company doesn't even charge the normal $10 co-pay for a 90 days worth supply

Cannot find any information on why since I do not have Part D (drug coverage) but someone must be providing some type of assistance for this particular drug since they certainly don't wave co-pay for any other drug    

9 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Does anyone know what Bestatin does. Ive Googled it and its too complex for me.. I take it for some blood lowering reason.

That is the local and inexpensive brand of simvastatin (normally used to control lipids but does also reduce blood pressure).  

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is the local and inexpensive brand of simvastatin (normally used to control lipids but does also reduce blood pressure).  

Thanks, thats nice n Clear, Google overkill had a pic of an explode head in one  section about it. NIMS wanted some sign in nonsence Another was about sex diseases and at 76 im clear of them i think.????

On 5/19/2020 at 9:44 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Just purchased Atorvastin 40 mg, at Fascino, in Pattaya for 951 THB for 30 tablets

Well I normally bring enough with me for my 7 months trip, but now having to buy until I get back home. I have to take 80mg so have to buy a box of 30 x 40mg and take 2. Fascino can be expensive sometimes. I get a box of 30 of 40mg at the pharmacy next to the Avenue on 2nd road opposite Lek Hotel. Price is 850 baht for Chlovas 40mg.

Edited by jimn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best heart protection is the Atozet a combination of ezetimibe and atorvastatin (Lipitor) calcium trihydrate, Atozet helps to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It is used in people whose cholesterol and triglyceride levels are too high and when diet alone cannot lower these levels adequately to provide extra protection for the heart, i have been on it for several years now, not sure if it can be bought in Thailand though...

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I find the side effects if statins  very hard to take.

I get tremendous pains in my upper arms a few days after I commence taking them.

Does anybody else get this problem?

does the pain disappear if you stop taking the tablets,

i have been taking simvastin for a few years, always have pain in top of arm and shoulder but put it down to manual work that i do for a living in the UK, been in Thailand 9 months this trip and the pain has got worse, and no work other than jobs around the house. was only thinking as i woke up this morning with pain in both shoulders 'is it the simvastin' , any thoughts from anyone