Insulin Resistance Test

4MyEgo

Hi Guys 

@Sheryl

I am looking to get an Insulin resistance test done around Udon Thani (hours drive) if anyone knows of any places there, (private hospital is ok) or further out if required like at Khon Kaen University Hospital (two hours drive), if there is nothing available in Udon Thani.

The last two I had done were a while ago and back in my homeland, and I was told back then that I was borderline insulin resistant at that time and should change my diet, exercise and lose weight, I was seeing a dietician at that time who ordered the tests, much to the disapproval of my Dr who disbelieves the dietician and that the results meant nothing, which pretty much left me in limbo.

Over the last 18 months, yes, quite sometime later, I changed my diet and do exercise, having lost about 10kg on average. My BMI is in the normal range for my age, weight and height and my body fat is in the average range based on the above, plus neck, waist and hip measurements.

The previous results are below, I am also looking at getting a Leptin test and finding out what my vitamin D levels are if possible. 

Thanks in advance for all suggestions, and perhaps alternative measures if any, like blood tests, if they can produce the results as I know the insulin resistance tests that I did were time consuming.

2011 Resultsimage.png.271abd7c6ec3dcd9d2e07b98700e8c82.png

2012 Results

image.png.4ad855744b8f607c046a2afea2a36f12.png

In that region the Khon Kaen University Hospital (Srinagarind) would be the most likely to be able to do this but I doubt they will do it on demand.  These tests aren:t really used in clinical practice, just in research.

Insulin resistance AKA metabolic syndrome can be diagnosed without these tests and, most importantly, does not need these tests to be managed.

Having lost weight and gotten your waist measurement and %body fat into normal range (and, I assume, continuing to have normal HbA1C)you can be sure your glucose metabolism has improved and having a test isn:t going to have any real clinical application.

Tests for insulin reisistance are, as you know, time consuming, and are mainly used in research, nto clinical medicine. 

Continuing to exercise, maintain good weight, eat healthily are going to be the recommendations regardless. That and regular (at least once a year, more often if results elevated) HbA1C tests and lipid profile.

For D3 level, any private hospital or large lab can do this.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Continuing to exercise, maintain good weight, eat healthily are going to be the recommendations regardless. That and regular (at least once a year, more often if results elevated) HbA1C tests and lipid profile.

For D3 level, any private hospital or large lab can do this.

Thanks for that Sheryl

I usually get 6 monthly blood tests for my cholesterol, tri's etc etc in an Udon Thani lab, however they could not do the vitamin D test last time I was there, so I will look into the private hospital side.

With regard to HbA1C tests and lipid profile, can you please elaborate on that, is it as simple as ordering these tests at the same time as the vitamin D test and will they tell me what range/level I am in with regard to diabetes ? 

As for lipid profile, my ranges are quite good, I suppose what I am looking for is to find out how good my immune system is, if there is such a test, e.g. am I insulin resistant, Leptin resistant and if my vitamin D levels are good.

This has to do with me making sure I am at a healthy level should I come down with you know what, call me paranoid, but I have a family and want to make sure I am as healthy as possible to be able to be here for a few years longer, even though they are now realising the CV-19 isn't as bad as originally expected, some are suggesting outside normal channels that if your not insulin and leptin resistant and have a good vitamin D level, they reduce your chances by a lot if exposed ?

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Have you been watching some of Ivor Cummins videos.  he's been hitting the insulin resistance and lepkin tests pretty hard on his videos and how this plays into a lot of health issues.

Actually it's Dr Berg with Ivor Cummins a guest on his Youtube broadcast.

My dietician years back told me that the insulin resistance was related to all sorts of health issues, and my Dr laughed it off, go figure.

• Like 1

Insulin resistance is mainly due to consumption of sugar everyday. Stop taking sugary drinks (fast food), sugar in food, sugar in coffee, high carbo diet (like bread, french fries) etc.

Nowadays, our food is laden with high sugar no thanks to the fast food industry.

Whenever, I go out to buy Thai food, I would say 'no sugar and no MSG' because Thai loves to put those into the food.

It has nothing to do with lack of exercise

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I

Insulin resistance AKA metabolic syndrome can be diagnosed without these tests and, most importantly, does not need these tests to be managed.

If we have high insulin resistance, does Metformin really help and is there any bad side effects?

Edited by EricTh

18 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Insulin resistance is mainly due to consumption of sugar everyday. Stop taking sugary drinks (fast food), sugar in food, sugar in coffee, high carbo diet (like bread, french fries) etc.

Nowadays, our food is laden with high sugar no thanks to the fast food industry.

Whenever, I go out to buy Thai food, I would say 'no sugar and no MSG' because Thai loves to put those into the food.

It has nothing to do with lack of exercise

Thanks, yes well aware of the above, zero sugar where possible, although we do need a hit every now and again to prop us up in this heat, so I will have the odd ice-cream, biscuit, but avoid the breads, rice and pastas unless the rice is Basmati, or its whole grain pasta. 

I keep my calorie intake low, maybe 500 calories a day, enough to keep my motor puring along, the rest are protein and good fats.

85% of weight loss is achieved through the kitchen, 15% through exercise, the latter helps as well.