What happens when passport expires?

Hello,

As Joë points out, you must refer to the "passport" section and as soon as the offices are open, get an appointment.
For the renewal, you are obliged to go to BANGKOK, after, for the recovery of the passport, if you have a French consulate or an episodic consular agent, near you, you can make the request. This will save you from having to go to BGKK again.
If you are registered with the French register, it goes faster.
Everything is detailed in the "passport" section.

1 hour ago, PBob said:

My situation is UK passport expires this September and annual extension due this month. New passport applied for in March, before Trendy closed, no sign of application at passport office till this month, current status 'checking details'.

Contacted immigration and they said they would extend till passport expires, just extended and they granted a full 12 months. So happy chappie.

That should not have happened.................................... but well done. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not keep the old passport when a UK passport is applied for. It is returned after the application is accepted.

Yes, but isn't it stamped as cancelled (whether or not it still has time left on it). For example, when I put my application for a new Australian passport in they stamped the old one as cancelled, cut off a length of the front and information page, and gave it back to me.

I'm not sure what immigration would make of a cancelled passport, but presumably they will accept the excuse that the person is still waiting for their new passport (delayed because of Covid restrictions) and not impose any fines etc. if that person's visas/extensions have expired (and cannot be renewed until the new passport is received).

If they wanted to take a hard line that person will have to start the extension process from scratch, at the very least.

2 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Yes, but isn't it stamped as cancelled (whether or not it still has time left on it). For example, when I put my application for a new Australian passport in they stamped the old one as cancelled, cut off a length of the front and information page, and gave it back to me.

They do not cancel the UK passports until the new one is picked up.

They canceled your Australian passport due to you choosing to have it mailed to you. If not they would have canceled it when you picked it up in person.

If you prove that you have requested a new passport that would be accepted if your passport was canceled for that reason. Immigration would not do extension stamps and etc in it though.

@Ubonjoe - On the other visa forum on UK Passport Corvid 19  the reply from the British Embassy to one poster was if they could not wait for the solution to be found was 'you may have to fly back to UK to renew your passport.' No travel plans  - no ETD. How great is that from our Embassy.

Edited by pontious

12 hours ago, USNret said:

By now, certainly someone on here has had their passport expire and unable to get a new one

You answered your own question.  If they have one and it expires, then it isn't a new passport.  They are only issuing replacements.

my aussie passport expires March 2021 and my extension is due in December this year so I will have to get my new passport before hand as I doubt they will renew with only a couple of months still on the PP. The aussie embassy has told me I can go to either Bangkok or Phuket to do the renewal, I emailed them as I was wondering the same thing, will covid slow/stop it getting back in time but they said no. I will be making an appointment to do the renewal in Phuket next month to give it a few months just to be certain

Edited by seajae

12 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

What about British Passports? I am not aware the Embassy will do more than issue a travel document in the event of an emergency. I am aware of 2 people here in Isaan whose British passports (and visas) have expired wuith several more about to expire.

You're not allowed to stay in Thailand with an expired passport. You could have taken care of that months ago. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You're not allowed to stay in Thailand with an expired passport. You could have taken care of that months ago. 

VFS has been shut for over 2 months. That is the only option to renew a British passport. Do you know when they will reopen.? No I did not think so. 

• Like 1

Furthermore, did you know that VFS office would close.  After all, we have been hit with several epidemics in the past from Ebola to Bird Flu, all of which have sent elements of panic through the world in their own way. As I was advised by the HMPO do not worry about the situation too much, we can see services will resume prior to your passport expiring.  I am slightly paraphrasing by the last quote, as I honestly can not remember the exact wording, however with their quip remark and tone it sounded like it was more 'a flash in the pan' rather than an epidemic.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The French embassy website states you have to apply and pick it up in Bangkok.

See: https://th.ambafrance.org/Faire-votre-demande-de-passeport

I think the embassy will be open before you need to apply for it. Just keep checking with them.

More flights should be available at the end of this month. Some airports are open in the South now for domestic flights.

thks... but if flying to BKK still has to be in 14 days quarantine or is it no longer a request

Probably just a rant but: UK Passport / Visa expires September. I applied VFS in March (7 months before expiry). VFS cancelled my appointment and closed. Now, even if they re-open fairly soon and I apply, it's unlikely my new passport will be back before expiry. So I will be in Thailand with no valid passport or visa, unable to do my 90 day, and, technically and really, illegal and overstaying, with applicable penalties including expulsion / banning.

Even if I, as suggested, go back to England and try to get a new passport, I may not get it in time, or may not be allowed back into Thailand in time to renew visa. 

I don't even understand why they closed. Immigration is open and this is the most Covid-friendly service they can provide. I go to Bangkok VFS, hand my paperwork through a screen and somebody in Liverpool sits in an office by him/herself and checks the paperwork. Minimal human contact and we are socially distanced by 6000 miles.

Also HMPO gain renewal visibility - "Oh there are 10,000 people in Thailand wanting renewal, we'd better do something". And I can have a 'Passport Pending' stamp in my expiring passport to allow me to use my 'old' passport for 90 days etc. 

Then our Embassy can negotiate with Thai immigration about handling the 'Passport Pending' category (Fat chance).

Anyway, sorry for my rant. Good luck to everyone. 

Unbonjoe and Essox Essox,

ref 'emergency passport'.

It sounds great but if you read the details it doesn't solve anything.

I fully accept my ignorance. I'm just reading what they say.

I've quoted relevant sections: 

"Eligibility - You can apply for an emergency travel document if ALL the following apply: ... 

(1) - your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, is full, has recently expired or is with HM Passport Office or a foreign embassy
(2) - you do not have time to renew or replace your passport before you travel
(3) - you can provide proof of your travel plans, for example booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you cannot book ahead)"

So, I've currently got a passport. This is a 'travel document'; NOT a passport. It does not replace a passport. It's not the old one year passport. I have to wait till my current passport expires, then this is tied to travel plans, and is time limited. (see below).

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/what-to-do-if-you-lose-your-british-passport-abroad/

"The document itself is valid for seven days from the date of issue, although if you have specified a travel plan it may be tied to that."

You try and explain all that to Thai immigration, so that they will renew your visa stamp and permission to stay stamp on this temporary travel document.

I REALLY hope i'm wrong and I'm just being an idiot. But ...

13 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Has anyone managed to get a UK Emergency Passport without any specific travel plans, i.e. for the purpose of staying/ renewing their extension to stay in Thailand?

Good question.  I doubt it, as I was under the impression that a flight "home" had to be booked in order to get one.  If this is not the case, it would be good to know.

1 hour ago, Morakot said:

Has anyone managed to get a UK Emergency Passport without any specific travel plans, i.e. for the purpose of staying/ renewing their extension to stay in Thailand?

No. The BE insist - no travel plans -no ETD.

Read my previous post  number #35.

That is what a BE official told someone who asked for advice.

Edited by pontious

20 hours ago, Stevemercer said:
21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not keep the old passport when a UK passport is applied for. It is returned after the application is accepted.

Yes, but isn't it stamped as cancelled (whether or not it still has time left on it).

No, it is not.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

Joe...not everyone has the foresight and intelligence that you (and I ) have.????????

Some leave it till late. I helped 6 people to renew their passports last March, and the new ones have not yet come back as VFS is shut. 2 of the old ones have now expired.  HMPO will neither send the new ones to the Embassy nor direct to the customer.

I really doubt the Embassy care any more than HMPO.

With all due respect you don’t need too much foresight or intelligence to do some forward planning for the renewal of these important items, I really wonder how some of these people live their lives.

Do they also forget to renew their driving licence, insurance and registration on their car/ motorbike ?

These people must be on some sort of permission to stay and therefore the last time this was renewed they would have looked at their passports and seen the expiry dates.

At the very least they could have stuck a big notice on the inside of the door.

My Thai wife only today advised me that both her a Thai and Australian passports together with the three passports our daughter holds expire next year.

No sympathy, sorry.

hey guys what about me  my passport will expire on 21 july 2021  i plan to do single entry non 0 on november and 60 day extension  and stay until april to thailand , do you think they will do my extension  in february to stay until april  or not ? 

6 minutes ago, thai006 said:

hey guys what about me  my passport will expire on 21 july 2021  i plan to do single entry non 0 on november and 60 day extension  and stay until april to thailand , do you think they will do my extension  in february to stay until april  or not ? 

They will issue the 60 day extension since your passport will be valid until it ends.

The only restriction for issuing a extension is that it will only be issued with a validity up to the day your passport expires.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, Saltire said:

Surely VFS will be back up and running soon.

Not so sure that will be the case. I don't know how they make their money - perhaps on numbers of customers processed. It would be intersting to see the details of the contract between VFS & the BE. What is their legal and or contractual obligation to provide a service. Can The BE force them to open up?

Will the BE be prepared to pay VFS to provide a service even if the demand for their services is very low for upto a year or so?

The few times i have been to the Trendy building for my and my kids passport renewals their office has been full of Thais seeking visas for the UK & Australia. The passport section is tucked away in the corner and in the times I have been there there has only been one other customer.

With basically no international passenger flights leaving the demand for visas should be at an all time low. Even when flights start up once again I see the demand staying low for sometime.

This leaves only expats renewing passports or applying for new family members. Passports last 10 years (5 for children). 

This doesn't look like a business model that will result in fortunes being made by VFS unless they are being paid a flat fee for providing the service for the BE

3 hours ago, pontious said:

No. The BE insist - no travel plans -no ETD.

Read my previous post  number #35.

That is what a BE official told someone who asked for advice.

Thanks, I was more hoping for a concrete case, where someone was actually issued an ETD or actually had their application rejected.

Sound like the official read out some generic statement.

Edited by Morakot

When you apply for a new UK passport your existing passport is invalid for travel, This was confirmed with the passport office in the UK when I chased my application.

The old passport is physically cancelled when you collect the new passport from Trendy.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, USNret said:

Thanks Joe. Yes, I meant March 2021. Too late to edit my OP.

Wondering if anyone here has followed the emergency procedures yet to get the EDPD.  How did it work out? 

A friend recently  applied for and received his emergency passport from the USA Embassy.

He says it looks exactly like the normal passport except fewer pages. He also received a letter from the Embassy asking Thai Immigration  transfer any stamps from his existing passport to the new one. The new one is good for one year "from date of its issue." The Embassy said he would be notified when the Embassy would be renewing passports and he could return his emergency passport and receive the new one. Go to US Embassy website on procedure for requesting a passport. He said the Embassy letter to him was very polite.

The friend also included a letter to the Embassy giving details as to why  he needed the emergency passport to extend his retirement.

Edited by kokopelli