Nearly 6,000 THAI staff to be laid off

webfact

1 hour ago, fresher said:

This is a serious point. I hope they choose the right 6,000 people to shed. (by right I mean best for the business)

The airline is going bankrupt and you expect them to choose the right 6,000 people?

Come on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bwpage3 said:

The airline is going bankrupt and you expect them to choose the right 6,000 people?

Come on.

Well getting rid of people that keep the planes airworthy wouldn`t be the greatest bit of thinking would it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Will somebody please tell me who the International Receiver & Accountancy firm is ?

You cannot put yourself into receivership or bankruptcy & than administer it yourself ?

That is ridiculous, as obviously they have no idea how to run an airline

You can if you are owned by the Thai Government.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Not sure what you're getting at, but this is the cancellation email they sent me nearly a couple of months ago:-

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 10:41
Subject: Flight Cancellation TG930/May 21, 2020                                                                                                                            

FLIGHT CANCELLATION TG930/MAY 21, 2020
Booking reference:        TVNDKU    
Dear Valued Customer,
THAI regrets to inform you that TG930/May 21, 2020/ Bangkok (BKK) - Paris (CDG) has been cancelled. 

Previous Flight 
Bangkok BKK Suvarnabhumi Intl        Paris PAR Charles De Gaulle        00:05        07:10        TG930        W    
                May 21, 2020        May 21, 2020    
We do apologize for any inconvenience caused. For further information or any assistance, please contact the travel agent where you purchased the ticket, or THAI office nearby, if you are booked directly with THAI or via THAI’s website.

Thank you for flying THAI. 

Yours Sincerely, 

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited.

I got the same e-mail and THAI owes me 60K baht, which they at the time promised to refund in 5 months time.

Let me know if you ever see dime from them.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I got the same e-mail and THAI owes me 60K baht, which they at the time promised to refund in 5 months time.

Let me know if you ever see dime from them.

correct .... i would just forget about it .... it's gone imo.

51 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes

If operations are to continue as indicated for possibly 12 months, I cannot see how the flight cancellation should not be honoured?

It's not wipe the slate clean from today. 

Unless you are privvy to more information?

All I got was attached..

But an indication that flights were credit until December 2020 and if not used it would role over a further 12 months.

My flight was rebooked by Thai airways to fit into the last flight to Thailand on March 30th.

They pulled out early

Leaving me stranded in Australia.

Screenshot_20200521-223347_Gallery.jpg

Edited by dallen52

3 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

If operations are to continue as indicated for possibly 12 months, I cannot see how the flight cancellation should not be honoured?

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch.

This would indicate cancellation will not be honored .....  imo 

5 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I'll ask you this ......  they owe billions of baht to creditors,  they have declared bankruptcy, they have sacked 6000 employees ......  and you want your air ticket ....  lol

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Indeed. 6,000 should be the minimum. That will cut this bloated and inefficient workforce down to a reasonable size. They have all had their snouts in the far too generous trough for far too long. Aloof, arrogant, just looking at their own personal benefit. Never mind the customers. They probably envisaged the endless perks to last forever. Best to wind the entire operation down and leave commercial aviation to the private market. Works well for others. If there's a market, a new airline will survive and flourish. Af there is no market, it will die off like many a carrier before it. Time will tell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch.

This would indicate cancellation will not be honored .....  imo 

Well I have no insight into Thai bankruptcy law.

But in general it's up to the court how creditors are paid as assets are liquidated.

Maybe they will prioritize passengers with paid tickets.But I'd be in the camp, 'Assume the worst, hope for the best'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

All I got was attached..

But an indication that flights were credit until December 2020.

Screenshot_20200521-223347_Gallery.jpg

After bankruptcy is declared, there is no more guarantee to honor your ticket.

It will all be up to the court, what debts are honored or not and I suspect ticket holders will get the shaft.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was so they could shop for goods overseas and bring them back here to sell and make a profit.  Secondary income.  Do you not remember the 3 female attendants who were nailed by customs not that long ago....

Part of the Amazing Trusted Thailand gang!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I guess you should fly with Qantas the average age of female crew members looks like 65 plus

Ah yes; that excrement airline where you get treated like excrement while trying to eat the muck they call food with your quickly splintering plastic 'cutlery'.   Did it once; never again !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean possession is not 9/10th's of the law.  How will Airbus take them back if the airport's remains closed, under cover of darkness hire the airplane repo companies and pay them a tidy sum for risking their lives....Not sure what will happen, but this country now has some serious egg on it's face....

Seize them the minute they touch down at an airport outside Thailand with appropriate legislation and legal avanues in place. South Africa recently did that to the very last operational Air Zimbabwe aircraft at Johannesburg. Even Perth airport blocked Qantas aircraft with bulldozers in an effort to seize assets as payment / collateral for unpaid airport fees and charges. It will be impossible for Thai to make use of these aircraft on domestic routes only.

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I have no insight into Thai bankruptcy law.

But in general it's up to the court how creditors are paid as assets are liquidated.

Maybe they will prioritize passengers with paid tickets.But I'd be in the camp, 'Assume the worst, hope for the best'

If you read back through several articles published recently. 

Media and Here too.

There is a mechanism required for the Thailand government to basically relinquish its ties into this schmozzle. 

They have 51% ownership. 

But certain conditions have to exist before some action can happen. 

This is all part of the actions.

This would have allowed for further borrowing if that was the chosen path.

I'm no lawyer buy it all seems part of the course of action the adopted to take.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They do realise that by writing off any money owed to Airbus could mean they lose 30 planes. right ? 

They had so many in storage even before the Covid shutdown it shouldn't cause them any problems.  If they had got rid of the 50ish planes they had in storage some for as long as 5 years maybe they wouldn't be so deep in debt.

5 hours ago, crobe said:

Vayapuk - local Thailand pension fund

You can tell who they are, they are the ones with the CEO who has his arm twisted up his back

They tried the same with South African Airways. similar situation. They tried the umpteenth but final government bailout with pension fund money. Luckily it failed. SAA now part of a local Chapter 11 situation. Rescue practitioners are checking it out, they prefer winding it down entirely, unions in opposition of course. Govt contemplating a new airline. Latest news today is that the corrupt ANC cadre govt is, after all, bailing out the airline again. Details sketchy at the moment. A similar path seems pegged out for THAI. Slash some jobs, a bit of restructuring, then back to government subsidised smuggling and nepotism.

• Like 1