Jump to content

Nearly 6,000 THAI staff to be laid off


webfact

Recommended Posts

Nearly 6,000 THAI staff to be laid off

By The Nation

 

800_b0509ce65ae2741.jpg?v=1590036351

 

Thai Airways (THAI) will have to dismiss more than 6,000 employees after entering a bankruptcy procedure and a debt moratorium of Bt200 billion, the government said on Thursday.

 

The Cabinet decided to push THAI into a bankruptcy procedure under the Bankruptcy Act BE2483 (AD1940) and ordered the Ministry of Finance to sell its majority stake in the airline.

 

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch, the government said. According to the size of its debt, 30 per cent of its over 20,000 employees, or over 6,000 people, will have to be dismissed. They will receive a 10-month compensation as per the labour law.

 

The rehabilitation of the airline has to be approved by the creditors and it is likely to take at least one year, sources said.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30388241

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-21
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, webfact said:

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch,

Typo.

 

Should read :

 

Thai will stop repaying all debt and start accumulating more from scratch.

 

New Thai Airway will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes but will ultimately meet the same fate as Icarus.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch

I don't think the international creditors will be very happy

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Many of them were illegally importing stuff into Thailand. I know a family who runs an Italian style wine store based on regular smuggling of wines from Europe. 

 

Many of them were in on it. Clothing, wines, anything they could illegally smuggle and illegally resell in Thailand. 

 

Facebook was a common sales market for their goods 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

It was so they could shop for goods overseas and bring them back here to sell and make a profit.  Secondary income.  Do you not remember the 3 female attendants who were nailed by customs not that long ago....

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

30 per cent of its over 20,000 employees, or over 6,000 people, will have to be dismissed.

Question: How many among these laid-off employees are going to be grossly overpaid top executives?

 

I think I know the answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never liked the cabin crew, very condescending, especially to Thais. Most got their job through some kind of nepotism or cronyism and find it hard to wait on others, especially below them on the hierarchical social ladder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

THAI will stop repaying all debt and start from scratch

They do realise that by writing off any money owed to Airbus could mean they lose 30 planes. right ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Many of them were illegally importing stuff into Thailand. I know a family who runs an Italian style wine store based on regular smuggling of wines from Europe. 

 

Many of them were in on it. Clothing, wines, anything they could illegally smuggle and illegally resell in Thailand. 

 

Facebook was a common sales market for their goods 

 

Reminds of the big stocks Thai crockery, cutlery, glassware etc., regularly on sale on Silom Road footpath markets, at Chatujuck market etc., for many years, haven't seen any for a few years.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

They do realise that by writing off any money owed to Airbus could mean they lose 30 planes. right ? 

You mean possession is not 9/10th's of the law.  How will Airbus take them back if the airport's remains closed, under cover of darkness hire the airplane repo companies and pay them a tidy sum for risking their lives....Not sure what will happen, but this country now has some serious egg on it's face....

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Grumpy John said:

OK,  6000 people is a substantial chunk of the workforce...but is that going to be across the board or just some of the workers at the bottom? 

Lots of their cabin crew look like they must have been working there 20-30 years. Unlike Air Asia, beautiful young ladies!

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

somebody just posted about goods being smuggled into the country by the staff. how far that is true no  one knows for sure, other than the staff involved, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sahibji said:

sad to see Thai airways headed that way. it is a good airline.

No it's not that is why it's where it is now

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sahibji said:

somebody just posted about goods being smuggled into the country by the staff. how far that is true no  one knows for sure, other than the staff involved, of course.

So what's your guess?

Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll be brushing up on their language skills, no doubt. A few thousand passable English speakers pushed into the workforce might not be a bad thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good News indeed. Time to get rid of some of those stuck up pseudo HISO cabin crew.  The ones that used to sit on their ass€s most of the time during long haul flights. Second income smuggling goods will go as well as all the free flights. I used to be a Platinum Member of Thai traveĺling around Asia on business. No sympathy for them. Very very lazy condescending people.  Thai Airways not a patch on the Middle Eastern carriers in my view. I wouldn't mind betting it's the younger, good looking cabin crew working hard at the back of the plane that get fired  The older lazy hags will likely keep their jobs. I'm glad Thai Airways doesn't owe me money for canceled flights  ......

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Cabinet decided to push THAI into a bankruptcy procedure under the Bankruptcy Act BE2483 (AD1940)

A move which will no doubt ensure that those of us booked on THAI flights which have subsequently been cancelled (like mine to Paris in the early hours tomorrow) can now kiss goodbye to any chance of refunds, ticket validity extensions, vouchers, etc. 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully some of them will of the indifferent, aloof and oh' not so young anymore cabin crew... and why on earth are they always lugging these huge suitcases even on a single overnight trip i could never understand...

Beauty aides, most of the staff really need a ton of it

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was so they could shop for goods overseas and bring them back here to sell and make a profit.  Secondary income.  Do you not remember the 3 female attendants who were nailed by customs not that long ago....

We always order a lot from them, and so do all our friends...we will miss it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Lots of their cabin crew look like they must have been working there 20-30 years. Unlike Air Asia, beautiful young ladies!

Working there since 1970.

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

OK,  6000 people is a substantial chunk of the workforce...but is that going to be across the board or just some of the workers at the bottom? 

There all at the bottom. Take they up high give them parachutes, throw them out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...