How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the evening we open up every window to let the warmer air flow out.

Cheers, Claude

what if the air outside is warmer than the one inside? :o

Did this ever happen to you? So keep the windows open and open the fans.

Everybody is talking about green house effects, but in Thailand they built up houses without any insulation, the discussion is just about "What size of aircon I have to buy and is 5.000 bahts for electricity bill is okay?".

This is ridicolous.

it happened and still happens to me 355 out of 365 days a year in Thailand.

Sorry, I forget you are the guy who proudly showed his 9000 Bahts electricity bill. You will not be able to understand my arguments.

for the record: i did not show my electricity bill "proudly" but because this thread is How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month? and that means i just have answered the question.

you Sir however, try to teach others what lifestyle they should prefer and that others should adapt and act according to your opinions.

as my mother taught me long time ago not to use foul language i refrain from telling you that you can shove your opinions and views up to that location where the moon doesn't shine.

:D

p.s. my "record" electricity bill was slightly above 14,000 for 19 (NINETEEN) days.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the evening we open up every window to let the warmer air flow out.

Cheers, Claude

what if the air outside is warmer than the one inside? :D

Did this ever happen to you? So keep the windows open and open the fans.

Everybody is talking about green house effects, but in Thailand they built up houses without any insulation, the discussion is just about "What size of aircon I have to buy and is 5.000 bahts for electricity bill is okay?".

This is ridicolous.

it happened and still happens to me 355 out of 365 days a year in Thailand.

Sorry, I forget you are the guy who proudly showed his 9000 Bahts electricity bill. You will not be able to understand my arguments.

p.s. my "record" electricity bill was slightly above 14,000 for 19 (NINETEEN) days.

Uhm, maybe you could try closing the windows? :o

Uhm, maybe you could try closing the windows? :o

most of my windows are fixed panes and can't be opened but the whole house is aired daily for 15-20 minutes by a powerful whole-house-fan. i prefer to live in a comfortable environment (temperature 26ºC, variation ±½ºC and a relative humidity of 60-65%). achieving that environment for ~460m² living area costs money which i am willing to spend whether some people like it or not.

:D

Dr. Naam I like your style and every credit to you. I too like to control my environment and I am happy to pay an average of 3,000 baht per month electric bill for my more modest 100 sq mtr abode, even if it is the largest electricity bill in my neighbourhood. :o

I too like to control my environment and I am happy to pay an average of 3,000 baht per month electric bill for my more modest 100 sq mtr abode, even if it is the largest electricity bill in my neighbourhood. :o

that looks a bit expensive to me Nomad. i had the advantage of planning and building my house from the scratch and tried to focus not only on floorplan but also on saving energy. if that was not the case my cost for airconditioning would have doubled.

perhaps it is of interest to mention that the share of airconditioning is only about 55% of my total energy consumption.

I should add that the average monthly cost of 3,000 baht is for the hot season and this drops to around 1,500 baht per month during the cooler season of the year. A year ago the average cost was some 4,500 baht per month during the hot season but, after insulating the ceiling earlier this year, I have seen a very significant drop in the monthly electricity costs. For sure, following insulation there was an instant benefit with a better and more even temperature controlled environment within the home. The cost of insulation will be recouped within the first few months of this hot season.

most of my windows are fixed panes and can't be opened but the whole house is aired daily for 15-20 minutes by a powerful whole-house-fan. i prefer to live in a comfortable environment (temperature 26ºC, variation ±½ºC and a relative humidity of 60-65%). achieving that environment for ~460m² living area costs money which i am willing to spend whether some people like it or not.

Considering that your home is 7x the size of my 2-bedroom condo, I'd say your monthly expenses are not so bad.

I also make sure that I air out my condo once daily. Especially when the paint was new, but even now, I like to expel the toxins that would otherwise accumulate indoors in a sealed environment.

I should add that the average monthly cost of 3,000 baht is for the hot season and this drops to around 1,500 baht per month during the cooler season of the year. A year ago the average cost was some 4,500 baht per month during the hot season but, after insulating the ceiling earlier this year, I have seen a very significant drop in the monthly electricity costs. For sure, following insulation there was an instant benefit with a better and more even temperature controlled environment within the home. The cost of insulation will be recouped within the first few months of this hot season.

during the construction of my home i lived in a rented penthouse which was built like an aquarium. glass (and therefore heat transmission) wherever one looked, all over outside walls and roof, no insulation whatsoever. size around 300m² but used and airconditioned area only 150m². electricity cost around the same what i am paying now, i.e. a factor of 4 as now i have a much bigger area, a pool, a pond with filter pump and waterfall, a well, pump for irrigation, more and bigger refrigerators, pressured water system, fence and garden lighting and four instead of two people using energy for cooking, hot water, washer/dryer, lighting, etc.

i estimate that the electricity consumption in the penthouse was 85% for airconditioning. in my own house it has dropped to 55% which is not too bad.

during the construction of my home i lived in a rented penthouse which was built like an aquarium. glass (and therefore heat transmission) wherever one looked, all over outside walls and roof, no insulation whatsoever. size around 300m² but used and airconditioned area only 150m². electricity cost around the same what i am paying now, i.e. a factor of 4 as now i have a much bigger area, a pool, a pond with filter pump and waterfall, a well, pump for irrigation, more and bigger refrigerators, pressured water system, fence and garden lighting and four instead of two people using energy for cooking, hot water, washer/dryer, lighting, etc.

i estimate that the electricity consumption in the penthouse was 85% for airconditioning. in my own house it has dropped to 55% which is not too bad.

Dr. Naam,

did you ever think about installing solarpanels on your huge place to produce electricity?

There is a new law in Thailand for "Very small power producers" (VSPP), they can sell electricity for 11 Bahts/kWh to the energy agency if the electricity is produced by renewable energies. As far as I know, the investment will pay back after 15 years... not teaching, just asking!

By the way, insulating the roof in Thailand seems to be a very good first solution to reduce energy costs.

Maybe somebody knows if it is common now.

Cheers from Samui,

Claude

My energy usage is about 600 units per month, thus about 7000 per annum. Thus, at Bt11 minus cost Bt4 (rounded) I would receive Bt7 * 7000 = Bt49,000 per annum.

I cannot see this and question where you get this information from. I doubt very much whether solar panelling would cost Bt735,000 to install to generate 7000 units per annum.

It has nothing to do with your bill but with the size of solar-panels you will install. And you dont use the electricity for your own house but you will sell it to the national grid (EGAT). Meaning you are a small power plant! It is very common in Germany these days.

For Thailand, I give you an example:

You install 50 m² of solar-panels on your roof (south directed). Costs are about 1.500.000 Bahts.

You will produce about 18.000 kWh per year and you will sell them for about 200.000 Bahts a year.

After 12 years, your investment (4 % interests rates) is worth 2,4 mill. bahts but you have earned 2,4 mill. bahts of revenue from EGAT meanwhile. With 5 % it is more difficult!

I can send the law in english by mail if you like to read it.

Dr. Naam,

did you ever think about installing solarpanels on your huge place to produce electricity?

Claude,

i had all kind of fancy ideas what hi-tech gadgets to install but was already brought down to earth during the first weeks of construction when i had to check and make sure that 50% of the basic construction was done in a minimal satisfactory way. that one year construction time has most probably cost me five years of wasted nerves. it seems that anything that could go wrong went wrong, most of the jobs had to be done twice or even three times and now (after living in my house for 10 months) i am still trying to get all the bullsh*t rectified which i overlooked.

now i am happy not having implemented all my ideas otherwise i would face even more problems daily.

your idea using photovoltaic modules might work in Europe. here in Thailand the technical setup for the average daily consumption of 85 kilowatts would have been not only expensive but a nightmare. the same goes for the feed of excess electricty back to the grid.

by the way, your calculation misses an important factor. photovoltaic cells have a limited life span and their capacity goes down around 5% each year after the third year (based on initial rated capacity). besides that i would have had to spend approximately 2.6 million Baht (based on your cost estimate) to produce the capacity i need for personal consumption. and that does not take into consideration that my power demand fluctuates a lot with peak demands 50% above the average demand, i.e. i would have draw from the public grid too, especially during the rainy season. i also have no idea how much per fed back kilowatt i would get. this is Thailand! would i have to hire an agent to collect my money?

but let's leave all these considerations aside and concentrate on capital expenditure without maintenance.

2,600,000 Baht are equivalent to 75,000 US-Dollars invested at 8.5% (that's the minimum i am making just leaning back and without lifting a finger) = 6,000 dollars p.a. = 500 dollars per month = 17,250 Baht = more than enough to pay for my electricity bill even if i lower the temperature in my house to a "freezing" 23ºC. so where's the beef?

for a foreigner investment in Thailand is a gamble. i prefer to have my money offshore, do with it as i please and limit my exposure to the quite substantial sum i have invested here already.

You will produce about 18.000 kWh per year and you will sell them for about 200.000 Bahts a year.

now to the details. the power company sells 1 kilowatt to me for 3.8 Baht but pays me 11.1 Baht for every kilowatt i feed back into the grid???

:o

After 12 years, your investment (4 % interests rates) is worth 2,4 mill. bahts

that calls for an explanation Claude. one installs a technical product which "decays" over a certain time period and at the end of its life span is scrap and worth zero, a similar product will be available (because of increased production gets cheaper and cheaper AND more efficient) but the old product APPRECIATES in value?

When I was building my house I really wanted solar heating. I had a couple of companies come by and I said, give me your pitch and if I will save money, or at least break even, I'll buy. Couldn't get them to show me that I would break even or save by going the solar route. That was 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.

2 TV's, the computer, air con, and the usual things like lighting, toaster, fridge, water boiler etc... 840 B a mth on average now.

The family pay 100 B and 80 B .... so they think the g/f and I are using way too much LOL

Still cheaper than Farang rates by a long way :o

January : 8,400 Baht (the highest yet)

February: 5,700 Baht (the lowest yet)

It usually runs between 6,500 and 7,500Baht per month.

Very large,. two storey house on a rai of land. 4 a/c'd bedrooms; 2 non a/c bedrooms in the annex; 4 fridges; swimming pool; fish pond with illuminated water fall; many external garden lights; ceiling fans; 4 T.V.s; pumps for house water, sprinkler system and water features (2); 3 computers, a/c'd office; elect front gates. Can't think of anything else.

I usually only one run a/c at night in the master bedroom, and another in the office from around 11 a.m. till early evening. But I had a lot of visitors over Xmas/ New year and all the bedroom a/c's were running at night.

I have my own meter and pay directly to the elect board.

UPDATE:

March 7,881 Bht

April 9,307 Bht (new record)

May 7,576 Bht.

In April it got a bit hot and we ran an 2 A/c's in my lounge for a few days, plus a lot of family came to stay.

I have cut down a bit on evening external lighting, and have reduced the wattage of my driveway lighting. Just tinkering really - nothing much I can do to reduce it further short of living in the dark and turning off all the 'luxury' as opposed to 'essential' electrical appliances etc.

I am aware and concerned about the effects on the environment, and am certainly not proud of my high bills, but I have a large home and there's no point having all this stuff if it remains permanently shut off.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

now to the details. the power company sells 1 kilowatt to me for 3.8 Baht but pays me 11.1 Baht for every kilowatt i feed back into the grid???

YES!

Thats the law. The intention is to promote renewable energies.

But the law is new and I dont know if outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai it is well known at the EGAT-offices... suppose they will tell you: "Sorry, no have". I will ask about mid june when I am back in Samui.

This law was invented in Germany, now about 50 countries did copy it - Spain, Italy and more and Thailand.

In Germany you pay about 15 Cents per kWh and you can sell PV-electricity for 50 cents per kWh. Thats why there is a booming Solar-industry now - and it is the only reason.

After 12 years, your investment (4 % interests rates) is worth 2,4 mill. bahts

that calls for an explanation Claude. one installs a technical product which "decays" over a certain time period and at the end of its life span is scrap and worth zero, a similar product will be available (because of increased production gets cheaper and cheaper AND more efficient) but the old product APPRECIATES in value?

Just wanna compare your investment - if you keep it on your bankbook - and the "inpayment" from the electricity you can sell. To be fair, PV-panels with good quality have a guarantee for 20 years. The manufacture gives also a guarantee that the performance will not decline more than 20 %.

You told a lot about your bad experiences with the construction of your villa - I understand that you want to be quiet for a while! Last year, I had to supervise the construction of our new building in Samui - I was really lucky with the construction company, there was nothing to complain to my surprise! But normally it is a nightmare.

When I was building my house I really wanted solar heating. I had a couple of companies come by and I said, give me your pitch and if I will save money, or at least break even, I'll buy. Couldn't get them to show me that I would break even or save by going the solar route. That was 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed since then.

Solar heating in Thailand is rather expensive, same price like in Europe! Next problem is the lack of engineers/technicians to dimension /install the collector / tank /pipes.

Suppose you have a cold water pipe and a water heater in the bathroom. If you want to upgrade a solar heater you need a second warm water pipe. It has to be well insulated because water is up to 80°, meaning a buried water pipe. Thats not nice for your bathroom tiles!

By the way, a reliable company will always show you an excel-sheet to calculate how much you can save.

A solar water heater will pay back after 8-10 years or quicker if grid power gets more expensive.

For those who are interested: June 6-9 is a fair in Bangkok (BITEC) about renewable energies. The entrance is free. Just Google for "entec pollutec asia".

Edited by ClaudeFeller

I have a 3 bedroom detached house, the electric bill for 2004 and 2005 was never over 2,000baht per month, [seldom use the air conditioners as like it warm] then is started going up every month to more than 3,000baht + beginning of April 2007 was 4,690 baht..!!!!

Phoned the Electric Company to ask for a engineer to call to find out why……. They told me to turn off the main switch for 15 mins…..

Just received the new Bill for May [3weeks after the mains switch off] 2,902 baht

Anyone heard of this before? Or is it a con?

I have a 3 bedroom detached house, the electric bill for 2004 and 2005 was never over 2,000baht per month, [seldom use the air conditioners as like it warm] then is started going up every month to more than 3,000baht + beginning of April 2007 was 4,690 baht..!!!!

Phoned the Electric Company to ask for a engineer to call to find out why……. They told me to turn off the main switch for 15 mins…..

Just received the new Bill for May [3weeks after the mains switch off] 2,902 baht

Anyone heard of this before? Or is it a con?

I just wonder that you have the highest bill during hot season...

You are sure nobody in your house is using aircon while you not stay home? If yes:

Disable the central fuse and check your electric meter - if it is still turning somebody else is using on your bill. If not: Enable the fuse and disable all your electronic devices - if the electric meter is turning then the problem inside your house.

• 2 weeks later...
We are getting an awesome deal in Pattaya right now last month our electricity went from 1350 baht down to 323 baht, this month it will be better. looked at the meter & it is stuck on the same numbers at the close of the billing cycle .......looks like a 1 & 1/2 month rebate to me. I am sure they will figure it out this or next billing cycle, but Thailand is a little slow- they took 3 months to fix our dead water meter!

###### meter it turned itself back on. I guess the one & a half month rebate is over!

I just got hit with 6,900 baht bill for may. I use a lot of electricity, but I wasn't even here for half of May? Any way to check what's up?

Switch off at the mains switch for 15min........ Now loads of people have told me that this Re-Sets and the following months should be back to normal..

No over the winter months..

You are sure nobody in your house is using aircon while you not stay home?

my 3 dogs and 100+ fish have no idea how to switch this on......

if the electric meter is turning then the problem inside your house.

with the mains switched OFF the meter still ran fast....... Leaving it OFF for 5mins was still running fast.... checked at 15mins 'meter' was no longer running...... so far still running normal check every few days

No over the winter months..

You are sure nobody in your house is using aircon while you not stay home?

my 3 dogs and 100+ fish have no idea how to switch this on......

if the electric meter is turning then the problem inside your house.

with the mains switched OFF the meter still ran fast....... Leaving it OFF for 5mins was still running fast.... checked at 15mins 'meter' was no longer running...... so far still running normal check every few days

What type of meter is it? Can you provide brandname, part number etc. What you describe "with the mains switched OFF the meter still ran fast....... Leaving it OFF for 5mins was still running fast.... checked at 15mins 'meter' was no longer running...." is NOT conducive with a standard 'induction disc' KWH meter.