How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the last 4 months, I have been paying between 12 - 15k for electricity...

I have spoke to the owner of the property, but she cannot understand it either... Ok, I have some big appliances (fridge,stereo and big TV) and have 1 air cond running pretty well constant, but seldom use a lot of lights or anything out of the ordinary....

Seems to be a huge monthly bill and I have even checked if someone is "backpacking" on my wiring and everything looks correct...

not sure, but cannot wait to move out now as I find it all hard to believe... The house rental is 25k per month (semi nice), the elec is 14k on average, then ubc is 2k+, then adsl at 1k per month and water charges of around 600 per month.

I bet she can't :o

TV's, fridges and stereos use nominal juice unless you have a dozen of each. Aircons and showers are the main culprits and I'd say it's all down to your aircon unit. Make sure it is cleaned regularly as if it's clogged up with crap it won't reach temp and the compressor will stay on which is when the juice is used most. May also needing recharging. With that said, even if you had a 5KW aircon (fairly large) running 24/7 that'd only work out at (depending on your per-unit rate) - 3baht x 5kwhr x 24 hrs x 30 days = 10,800 and the other items shouldn't be putting on 2-5k over that. I suspect she is charging you a high per-unit rate as the 3 baht is about the standard gov't rate with tax.

I have 3 bed house with 2-3 computers running all day (negligible), 3-4 fabs all day, aircon hour or so most nights, 3.5KW shower several times day and the usual fridge, TV, water pump, washer running most days. Bill has never been more than 800 baht!

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one VERY large refrigerator, a smaller one, water pump, computer, 5,500 watt water heater, washing machine, microwave, fans and all the other smaller users. The 9,000 BTU air con in the bedroom runs maybe two or three nights a month. My bill this month was 780 baht.

You need to buy or borrow one of those clamp type amp meters to see where all that power is going. You quite obviously are NOT using that much.

House:

1 x Fridge/Freezer - 24/7

1 x PC - 24/7

1 x Notebook - 5-10 hours a day

1 x Aircondition (10.000BTU) beedroom - 10-12 hours a day

4 x Fan - 10-12 hours a day

1 x TV - 8 hours a day

1 x TV - 4 hours a day

1 x Shower water machine (3.5 KW)

and all the Kettle,Toaster,Microwave,DVD players.......

Price around 2000-2500,- /Months.

You ppl need to save energies and money by using less of it. Thailand always make a propaganda about saving energy cause it effects the global warming too not just your wallet.

Thais spend less energies than foreigners for sure! Even my home dont have an airco and i do just fine. Well maybe because i live up north...hehe much cooler then down south. Pls trying to use less on what is not necessary can shut if off. How can ppl sleep with airco on...man its too cold for me.

How can ppl sleep with airco on...man its too cold for me.

perhaps you are not aware that one can adjust the temperature with the thermostat? no rocket science required!

i wonder how people can sleep without aircondition.

:o

Do you have a meter? Have you ever seen your bill? Someone said earlier elec. is about 3 baht/kilowat hour. He is right, in fact I live in Pattaya and just looked at my last bill and it worked out to 3.87B/kwh. Sounds to me like you must be paying some of your neighbors bill as well as your own no matter how right things looks.

As for "You ppl need to save energies " I'm thinking if you want to swelter away while pretending you can sleep, have at it, but don't begrudge me a little bit of conditioned air. If you want to save the planet start with Exxon/Mobil and work you way down to me.

-i use aircon all night

-we run two aircons x hours a day

-i have a 10k btu in my bedroom and an 18k btu in my living room and use them...

=all irrelevant factors. the only factor that counts is "how many hours x-nos. aircons with y-capacity are running in COOLING CYCLE, i.e. how many hours do they run with the compressor on.

mine was 4500 due to the rate being charged of 8baht per unit.

rather than confront the landlord i will move instead..

p.s i live in a serviced apartment.

Well I am paying 6 bht a unit in my bungalow in Koh Samui when the correct rate should be around the 3.7 bht mark.

In my case I have questioned the rate ...obviously to no avail.....all I get back is that they have additional expenses to pay for things such a outside lighting and underground cables that run to the houses on the 3 rai of private land. They have a point since both historically and now the average farangs monthly bill seems to be about the 1000 bht mark, some very energy conscious Charlie’s pay even less despite the inflated rate.(another words most people are not using their a/c ). IMO on these figures an additional 200 bht per month or so per house to cover general overheads would not seem unreasonable.

However the problem for me is that I like my a/c which bumps up the bill considerably(anywhere between 4-6,000 bht depending on use) and as a consequence I would appear to be providing the bulk of the funding towards the "extra overheads" for the private development. (anything up to 2000 bht as opposed to 200bht or less)

On a positive note the landlady has built me a new carport and in my absence I have learned we now have additional security lighting around our house(none of which was asked for) so at least I seem to been treated as a favoured client in view of my exorbitant contributions! There has even been more than a rumour from the resident gardener that they may be willing to drop my monthly rent if I renew my contract so I think even they may be looking for an amicable arrangement to make up the surcharge difference between myself and the other residents.

As regards your situation I understand why you would rather not confront the landlord but should you be asked why you are moving on I see no harm in politely telling him or her that the high electricity prices did influence your decision…after all if you don’t tell ‘em they will never learn…..but then again even if you do tell them the chances are they will never learn!

Here in Saraphi (Chiang Mai province) I pay 3.21 bahts/kilowatt hour (2.21 when I moved in 3 years ago)

I have:

2 fridges

1 electric coffe machine

1 electric owen (not a microwave)

1 toaster

1 rice cooker

1 water heater

2 TV

2 DVD players

2 sound systems (one connected to the PC)

1 PC

1 fax

1 keyboard

1 iron

1 washing machine

About 10 fans

A lot of lamps with fluorescent light bulbs

A few lamps with incandescent light bulbs

The last bill was around 600 bahts.

I know it's out of topic but water costs 4 bahts a cubic meter. When I was living in downtown Chiang Mai, I used to pay 16 bahts.

mine was 4500 due to the rate being charged of 8baht per unit.

rather than confront the landlord i will move instead..

p.s i live in a serviced apartment.

Well I am paying 6 bht a unit in my bungalow in Koh Samui when the correct rate should be around the 3.7 bht mark.

In my case I have questioned the rate ...obviously to no avail.....all I get back is that they have additional expenses to pay for things such a outside lighting and underground cables that run to the houses on the 3 rai of private land.

When I rented my first apartment in Bangkok the landlord explained that there are two rates of electricity: domestic and commercial, and he was proud to be able to offer the lower rate to me, which was B3.5, I believe. But now, for the life of me, I can't remember if the domestic or the commercial rate was lower. Nonetheless, my point is there may still be two tiers of rates from the electric company.

Domestic Rate is - as many people have noted - about Bht 3.5

If you are paying more - the excess is going to the Landlords Pocket

- it can be considered as part of your Rent

Before complaining - check your Agreement

It will probably tell you the rate the Landlord will be Charging

and which you already agreed to when you signed it.

Bill

As I've thought more about it, I think my landlord's point (being proud of offering the B3.5 rate) was that usually serviced apartments were charged the higher, commercial rate by the electric company. Because he offered (optional) on-site cleaning staff and laundry facilities he felt he was offering the equivalent of a serviced apartment, but technically it was not. (Does that make sense?)

• 1 month later...

2 Big A/C's @ 23C - 2 all night, 1 all day

1 Small A/C @ 23C - all night

1 desktop Computer - night use

2 Notebook/tablet - night use

2 big water heaters + pumps - for 4 showers, 2 baths a day, washing, dishes etc.

1 electric oven - rarely used

1 50" LCD tv - around 12 hours a day

2 ~23" CRT tv - rarely used

~40 energy saving lightbulbs

1 Microwave - rarely used

2 showers - 4 a day

1 bath - 2 a day

1 Big fridge - 24/7

2 small fridges - 24/7

3 fans - frequent use

2 Sound systems - frequent use

In a 4 bed, 6 bathroom house in BKK area.

For a family of 4 peaks @ 9,000.- avg @ 5,500.- with no middle man.

Be sure to choose the electric appliance with the green 5 energy saver sticker, will save you loads.

Edited by ukjackthai

Hi,

I am very impressed by what some of you can spend in electricity... :o

I am one of the 10% guys who vote "Less than 500 bahts/month".

In fact, my bill is rather constant and about 300 bahts/month.

For the September-October 1 month period I paid... 276 bahts.

post-34500-1193739880_thumb.jpg

It's 88 units at about 3.14 bahts/unit. Good price for a condo :D

I leave in a 53 sqm condo :

- 1 A/C in the main room, rarely used. (Opened windows and/or ceiling fan) ;

- 1 A/C in the bedroom, 30 minutes every night before going bed, and during non-sleeping-bed-activities ;

- 1 fridge 24/7 ;

- 1 washing machine, every 2 days ;

- 1 water heater in kitchen, rarely used. No cooking ;

- 1 water heater for shower, 3-6 per day ;

- 3 ceiling fans, equivalent to one at 4 hours/day ;

- 1 computer (laptop), 8-10 hours/day ;

- 1 TV, very rarely ;

- lights, CD/radio, kettle, iron, microwave, ...

I know for a guy with similar apartment in my condo who spend more that 3,000 a month.

Always door and windows closed and A/C 12 (or even 24?) hours/day :D

Hi,

I am very impressed by what some of you can spend in electricity... :o

I am one of the 10% guys who vote "Less than 500 bahts/month".

In fact, my bill is rather constant and about 300 bahts/month.

For the September-October 1 month period I paid... 276 bahts.

i am quite impressed as it seems you can draw electricity from thin air and use it. i don't doubt the authenticity of your bill but there is no way that you could have used 88 kWh only with the consumption and consumers you have listed. anyway, be happy... until the electricity man knocks on your door and says "velly soll Sir Farang but habb big mistake when leading meter yours. prease pay outstanding bill of x-thousand Baht".

:D

I was discussing utility bills with pals who live in Thailand the other week and how mine are so much cheaper in Singapore than they pay in Thailand

My bill for September was 114 SGD or 2565THB at 22.5 THB to the SGD

That is for water, gas. electricity and refuse collection

I have a two bedroom condo with study.

I use air con all night in the bedroom and in the living room when I am there.

Hot water for showers and washing - gas for cooking

• 2 weeks later...

I conclude that the only thing which realy makes any difference to the amount of electric used is the aircon. All the rest are minimal and will vary very little. The next two are the showers and the washing machine but probably only a couple of hundred baht a month. A pool will eat more for sure but I don't know how much.

In my studio condo, I could have the aircon run 24/7 at 23c and get a bill of about 600 units or some Bt2000. How you guys get bills of Bt6000 for a small condo is beyond me unless you are paying like Bt10 per unit.

I used to pay about 2200 baht a month. Recently I changed the seal for the refrigerator which I suspected wasn't closing properly. Now I pay about 500 baht less per month. I credit the difference in the bill to fixing the refrigerator, since it uses electricity like an air con if not properly sealed.

I conclude that the only thing which realy makes any difference to the amount of electric used is the aircon. All the rest are minimal and will vary very little.

I could have the aircon run 24/7 at 23c and get a bill of about 600 units or some Bt2000

in my case not so minimal Torrenova. i maintain a fully airconditioned (big) home but the share of my aircons is less than 50% of the total consumption. it all depends what other gadgets are running and consuming electricity.

your statement "aircon" does not say much. how big is your studio? do your have direct sun on walls and/or windows? what capacity is your aircon? your setting is 23ºC but is the room temperature as low as the setting? are you referring to may/jun outside temperatures of 35ºC or jan/feb 27ºC?

Edited by Naam

some bitching :o, not directed at Torrenova's posting but in general. most of the postings in the thread "electricity consumption" are as explanatory as the statement:

"i use my car three days a week and am quite happy with it's fuel consumption and i always fill up for 1,000 Baht."

Save the planet. Global warming. But we can not do without electricity. Back home (Aust) I live in 5 bedroom house, the bill $250 every three months (7500 Baht). Aircon in summer and heater in winter. So the price in Thailand is, much much more expensive !!!!!!!!!

perhaps in your individual case. i would pay in Germany for my home triple the amount am paying in Thailand.

"it uses electricity like an air con if not properly sealed."

Actually, the refrigerator will "use electricity like an air con", even if it is properly sealed. A refrigerator and an air conditioner work on the same principle. A refrigerator is an air conditioner for food.

I'm renting my place out and looking for an agreeable and fair arrangement with my tenant on the juice.

In many western countries there is a base "subscription" charge to look after infrastructure maintenance and repair etc.

The metered consumption charges are usually shown separately.

Is there such a base charge on the EGAT bill?

Thanks for any help offered.

post-6392-1196101513_thumb.jpg

post-6392-1196101647_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnnyk

Domestic Rate is - as many people have noted - about Bht 3.5

If you are paying more - the excess is going to the Landlords Pocket

- it can be considered as part of your Rent

Before complaining - check your Agreement

It will probably tell you the rate the Landlord will be Charging

and which you already agreed to when you signed it.

Bill

I agree with you 100%. For years at my house I used to check the price per kw/h. It was always +/- 3.4 baht per kW/h.

Now however I am living with my girlfriend in a condominium. My landlady is very fair. I pay by the meter. Over the last 2 months I see that EGAT has moved to a sliding scale. ergo your first 500 units are charged at a very low rate & subsequent blocks of 500 units get charged at ever higher prices.

Social engineering krap. I will get my bill scanned & post it here. Anyhow. I live on a high floor - shady side & it was 5500 baht last month. My house runs between 8000 to 12,000.

Those of you who can live on 300 a month. I'm not impressed I hope the mosquiotes are feasting on your under your pathetic fans. Backpacker types. My big house has 6 aircons- biggest is 30,000 btu - smallest is 12,000. The humidity in BKK is a killer. & GE said "Let there be light".

Edited by dotcom

I'm renting my place out and looking for an agreeable and fair arrangement with my tenant on the juice.

In many western countries there is a base "subscription" charge to look after infrastructure maintenance and repair etc.

The metered consumption charges are usually shown separately.

Is there such a base charge on the EGAT bill?

Thanks for any help offered.

Fair is to charge the tenant as per the invoice from EGAT.

That's what my landlady charges me. Many places in BKK have shafted renters to the tune of 6 baht per unit for years. Highway robbery.

My landlady pays the condo association 2k per month for trash lifts common lighting & swimming pool. She pays that out of the 17k I give her a month in rent.

To move in I paid first + last + 1 month damage deposit + 5000 elec deposit. (56,000 baht) She treats me right & I look after her condo like it was mine. My contract says I have to give her 6 months notice.

Edited by dotcom