How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

bluecat...a consensus on this thread is that falangs require a/c in order to ensure a good night's sleep. Anything less would render the laid back, fully integrated up country falang a vicious maniac that would accummulate WMDs to do damage to their local communities...

also...my wife won't even let me play with her tits if there are other persons, sleeping or not, in the room...

One of the best tricks for staying cool in the bedroom is if the sun is rising on the 'face' of the room (where the windows are) and sets on the building where there are no bedrooms. The heat is lesser in the bedroom (more so if its on the ground floor).

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluecat...a consensus on this thread is that falangs require a/c in order to ensure a good night's sleep. Anything less would render the laid back, fully integrated up country falang a vicious maniac that would accummulate WMDs to do damage to their local communities...

also...my wife won't even let me play with her tits if there are other persons, sleeping or not, in the room...

One of the best tricks for staying cool in the bedroom is if the sun is rising on the 'face' of the room (where the windows are) and sets on the building where there are no bedrooms. The heat is lesser in the bedroom (more so if its on the ground floor).

The sun should always rise on your head and set on your feet, but that has got bugger all to do with this topic :o

• 3 weeks later...

I spend about 3,000- 3,700 a month and i bought a metre in homepro for 400 baht to check that none of the neighbours weren't stealing from me one fiend found a neighbour stealing with a cable from a garden light before through the wall.

If i was building a house i would put an aircon switch beside the light switch as some rooms you never use and the aircon uses electric away on standby. not much but over the years adds up.

My bills for my new place just seem too high. 3500 last month and about 3000 this month.

This is direct electricity, there is no middleman serviced apartment collecting a profit.

I run 1 air whenever I'm around. Probably 15-20 hours a day. My gf watches tv with a fan in another room, I have the radio on, and I'm on the computer almost all the time.

I had a place at Surasak with the inflated utility prices where I had a similar electricity use pattern and the price was in the 2000 range per month.

About how much do you pay per month for electricity? And what sort of use do you have?

It sounds like it's a bit too much, maybe your girlfriend could switch that fan off in that other room. That would surely bring the costs down.....

We live in a moo baan and pay approx. 2200 baht every month, we don'tneed to water the garden anymore so the water is only 25 baht. That used to be 150 baht, we pay further for security and garbage collection approx. 500 baht per month. We use one aircon every night.... seems reasonable, we've got a maid who leaves the fan on all day even if she's not in the room. It doesn't seem to affect the bill that much...

Dutchy

• 2 weeks later...

bmanly; yes when you use that little you have most of your units in the lower bracket which is cheaper. For most, say consuming 1500 Baht/mth and up, the average (with all add-ons/vat Etc.) is now around 4 Baht/unit in avg.

How do you manage to keep the bill so low? Size of condo? Aircon usage? Usage pattern?

Cheers!

bmanly; yes when you use that little you have most of your units in the lower bracket which is cheaper. For most, say consuming 1500 Baht/mth and up, the average (with all add-ons/vat Etc.) is now around 4 Baht/unit in avg.

How do you manage to keep the bill so low? Size of condo? Aircon usage? Usage pattern?

Cheers!

The condo is 64 sqm and uses fluorescent lighting which is low wattage. I do not use aircon as I get sick from it. The TV and computer is on most of the time but that uses very little. My mates bill comes in at around about the same, he also doesn't use air con....cheers.

I just got my electric bill in my condo and I am billed directly to the electric company. For a full month of average use I used 133 units and it cost 422 baht. That works out to be 3.17 baht per unit including VAT.

422B........ :D I wish!

That's only because you're in a bar from opening time to closing time... :o

I just got my electric bill in my condo and I am billed directly to the electric company. For a full month of average use I used 133 units and it cost 422 baht. That works out to be 3.17 baht per unit including VAT.

422B........ :D I wish!

That's only because you're in a bar from opening time to closing time... :o

Hmmmm, you got yer spys out again have ya?? :D ... :D

"electricity consumption"

during the construction period of my home we lived in a rented penthouse. flat roof, no insulation whatsoever, glass from ceiling to floor whereever one looked, used (airconditioned) area approximately 150m², electricity bill varied between THB 6.500 and 9.500 a month.

now we are six weeks in our new home (single family, detached), built with "superblock", proper roof insulation, forced roof ventilation and mirror glass windows. first bill was shockingly high (12.400 baht for 19 days) whereas my calculation was approximately 12.500/month. the second bill for a full month was 11.500 which sounds much more reasonable but we had and still have rather benign cloudy weather and relatively cool nights. based on these few weeks experience i have to budget at least 14-15.000 baht for electricity. the home is rather big (~ 600m²) but we have at any given time not more than 200m² airconditioned and during the night less than 75m² (master bedroom and maid's quarters). my estimate is that not more than 50% of the electricity bill is aircondition, rest is a couple of huge fridges, pool pump and pond waterfall/filtration, 2-3 PCs on for 16hrs a day, TV, lighting, etc.

interesting to mention is that we lived in a subtropical climate before in a centrally airconditioned home which was kept at 25ºC but have adjusted now without any problems to an ambient temperature of 27ºC except when sleeping. in the bedroom the thermostat is set to 25ºC.

"electricity consumption"

during the construction period of my home we lived in a rented penthouse. flat roof, no insulation whatsoever, glass from ceiling to floor whereever one looked, used (airconditioned) area approximately 150m², electricity bill varied between THB 6.500 and 9.500 a month.

now we are six weeks in our new home (single family, detached), built with "superblock", proper roof insulation, forced roof ventilation and mirror glass windows. first bill was shockingly high (12.400 baht for 19 days) whereas my calculation was approximately 12.500/month. the second bill for a full month was 11.500 which sounds much more reasonable but we had and still have rather benign cloudy weather and relatively cool nights. based on these few weeks experience i have to budget at least 14-15.000 baht for electricity. the home is rather big (~ 600m²) but we have at any given time not more than 200m² airconditioned and during the night less than 75m² (master bedroom and maid's quarters). my estimate is that not more than 50% of the electricity bill is aircondition, rest is a couple of huge fridges, pool pump and pond waterfall/filtration, 2-3 PCs on for 16hrs a day, TV, lighting, etc.

interesting to mention is that we lived in a subtropical climate before in a centrally airconditioned home which was kept at 25ºC but have adjusted now without any problems to an ambient temperature of 27ºC except when sleeping. in the bedroom the thermostat is set to 25ºC.

Wow that is high. We live ina 254sqm home in Pathum Thani (Chuan Chuen Golf Avenue), aircons in the living room and bedroom and our bill that just came was 2300 Baht. I don't usually sit in the aircon, ceiling fan works for me except for night time when the bedroom aircon is on all night.

Helps having thai wife who hates aircon.

Dan

"ceiling fan works for me"

10 minutes under a ceiling fan and i catch a bronchitis and cough a few weeks if i don't take immediately hard antibiotics. i don't have a thai wife but mine loves the ceiling fan on turbo-speed AND aircondition. when i explain to her that this is energy wise nonsense i get for an answer "BUT I LIKE IT LIKE THAT. LEAVE MY ROOM."

it's not really the lower temperature i enjoy with aircondition but the lower humidity. lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and West Africa with much higher temperatures than Pattaya and did not suffer. but then i was 20-25 years younger. old age takes it's toll.

:o

Got (and paid) my most recent bill today 420 kilowatt nuay tii khai -----

1524.26!.... soooo cheap!

That's an AC running at night ....

2 fans, 2 Fridges, running all the time

Microwave

29" TV and a computer running 18 hours a day

"ceiling fan works for me"

10 minutes under a ceiling fan and i catch a bronchitis and cough a few weeks if i don't take immediately hard antibiotics. i don't have a thai wife but mine loves the ceiling fan on turbo-speed AND aircondition. when i explain to her that this is energy wise nonsense i get for an answer "BUT I LIKE IT LIKE THAT. LEAVE MY ROOM."

it's not really the lower temperature i enjoy with aircondition but the lower humidity. lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and West Africa with much higher temperatures than Pattaya and did not suffer. but then i was 20-25 years younger. old age takes it's toll.

:o

Dr Naam,

Interesting what you say about ceiling fans. I live in Spain. I don't have A/C because I hate it but do have ceiling fans. Last summer I was sleeping with the bedroom fan on and developed a horrible throaty infection. I guess it must be the downdraught.

Cheers,

James

• 3 weeks later...

Just a word of warning. I was 5 days late paying my bill this month and i was disconnected. Absolute nightmare as a whole day of work was lost due to no internet, pc's etc. Took 8 hrs to come back on after i went to pay.

5 days late - Amazing Thailand.

I usually run my air cons in dehumidify mode. This will drop the humidity to a very comfortable level but the temperature will not change.

This mode should be a lot cheaper than running in cool mode and personally I prefer this, feels like a nice European summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to pay about 600-800 baht per month.

I have a PC running 24/7 and usually there are at least 2 TV's running more than 12h a day.

No Air-Con, even though I am Falang, I have no problem with the heat, and use fans it gets to hot.

I moved into a new house and I kept all my equipment, except the old refrigerator, I have a brand new one that officially uses a little over 100 Baht electricity a month.

My electricity bill is 2500-3000 baht now... I have no clue why.

Was thinking to unplug and tunr off all the appliances one time and see if the meter is still running, but never got around to do it.

I live in a large condo with all the usual appliances. The aircon is usually on in at two large rooms every evening and all day weekends, and in one bedroom all night.

The lowest my bill has been is around 1700. Upper level is usually 3000. I can't complain about that.

"I was 5 days late paying my bill this month and i was disconnected. Absolute nightmare...5 days late - Amazing Thailand."

Yeah, I agree with you. How dare the electricity company insist that I pay for electricity that I use! Who do they think they are? As a farang, I think I should get at least an extra 45 days to pay my bills!!

Been living here for 6 years. Never realized at first that the Management of our townhouse was marking up the electric. We are paying 4 baht/kwh. Years ago when a coworker was living here the electric was actually more than the rent. Luckily at the time the co. was paying for it. He left everything on and air con on 24/7.

A few yaers ago the wife and I were gone nearly the entire month. Expecting a very reduced bill but it turned out to be the average amount. When I wentr to talk to the lovely lucky she's so cute and sweet girl ast the office I demanded to know why bill was same as we had been gone all month. She looked around looked down , bite her lip, deer in the headlight look.

When she seen I was not backing down she says to me'This is a business". I said oh its a business Oh Ok now I understand. Then she perked up and smiled yes a business.

I remebered that and it made a big impression on me . sort of an inside joke among friends when some thing come up , must be a business.

Now with 1 old ancient air in our bedroom electric runs a bit over 2000 Bt/month.

No matter how we try to save never lass thgan that

Don't think you can compare upcountry rates for detached homes with the rates for similar places in Bangkok. The latter is a lot more. Both Thais and farangs I know with 3 bedroom houses - 2 AC on at night, fans on during the day, fridge, washing machine, etc, pay 5,000 - 6,000 per month in the hot season. Drops as low as 3,500 in 'cool' season.

The mobi mansion - 4 bedrooms, 2 bed annex, masses of lights, waterfalls, pool, etc costs between 5.5k to 7.5 k a month. Averages about 6k, but goes up when I have a lot of visitors.

I normally run one a/c at night and another, smaller one in my office during the day. Loads of fans, 4 fridges, 4 T.V's, 3 computers.

All in all, I'd say the cost is reasonable.