How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just wonder that you have the highest bill during hot season...

No over the winter months..

You are sure nobody in your house is using aircon while you not stay home?

my 3 dogs and 100+ fish have no idea how to switch this on......

if the electric meter is turning then the problem inside your house.

with the mains switched OFF the meter still ran fast....... Leaving it OFF for 5mins was still running fast.... checked at 15mins 'meter' was no longer running...... so far still running normal check every few days

What type of meter is it? Can you provide brandname, part number etc. What you describe "with the mains switched OFF the meter still ran fast....... Leaving it OFF for 5mins was still running fast.... checked at 15mins 'meter' was no longer running...." is NOT conducive with a standard 'induction disc' KWH meter.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thoiught it was some sort of con......... but!!

My bill has just arrive 10mins ago, 1,684 baht, so it is now back to where it was....

Just been outside to the road to the block of 4 meters...... says 'Holley Group Electric Thailand' and supplied by Metropolitian Electric Authory...

Could not help but notice another running very fast, the house is owned by a couple that have not yet moved in !!!!!!!!

as they still have another 5 months of work before retireing, they come over most Sundays [we live some 50km from BKK]

Strange ?? NO they DO NOT have air con fitted yet... they will have a shock with the bill..

On a different point...... I appear to have a connection problem on my ADSL, and have to most weeks to re put in the Server DNS, but still the TV will not work........ Found that after re entering the DNS, if I switch off the Router for 5 mins then switching on again the TV is back working again [Dreambox via internet/Sat TV]

I thoiught it was some sort of con......... but!!

My bill has just arrive 10mins ago, 1,684 baht, so it is now back to where it was....

Just been outside to the road to the block of 4 meters...... says 'Holley Group Electric Thailand' and supplied by Metropolitian Electric Authory...

Could not help but notice another running very fast, the house is owned by a couple that have not yet moved in !!!!!!!!

as they still have another 5 months of work before retireing, they come over most Sundays [we live some 50km from BKK]

Strange ?? NO they DO NOT have air con fitted yet... they will have a shock with the bill..

On a different point...... I appear to have a connection problem on my ADSL, and have to most weeks to re put in the Server DNS, but still the TV will not work........ Found that after re entering the DNS, if I switch off the Router for 5 mins then switching on again the TV is back working again [Dreambox via internet/Sat TV]

It sounds very much like you have some rather strange electrical supply problems.

Anyway, is the brand of the KWH meter 'Holley Group Electric Thailand' or is that the name on the box that all the meters are in? I need the name of the actual KWH meter (Mitsubishi or Siemens usually) along with the part/model number.

1) Unless the KWH meter is electronic, switching the meter on or off should not make any difference to how it works.

2) I notice that in Thailand that the consumers mains isolator is usually placed on the consumer side of the KWH meter. This means that if the isolator is switched off, power is still available at the KWH meter. Also, this method of isolation/protection is dangerous & non-effective - the KWH meter is not protected from faults, it is always live so it cannot be removed/worked upon safely.

If the KWH meter belongs to you, make sure that the consumers mains isolator/fuse is upstream of the KWH meter so that it has some protection & can be replaced etc safely. If the isolator is upstream of the KWH, turning off the isolator will remove all power from the KWH meter.

OUCH, 2,684 KWH ... that is extreme. We just had the most expensive electricity bill ever, 924 KWH. This included running 4 A/C units for a total of around 80 KBTU more or less full time.... How can you use that much? Serving the whole community? :o

OUCH, 2,684 KWH ... that is extreme How can you use that much? Serving the whole community? :D

quite a big and fully airconditioned home, four persons (wife, me and two live-in servants), washer, dryer, two huge fridges, fifteen aircons (several of them continously in operation), three computers, three TVs, deep well, irrigation pump, pool pump, pond pump, waterfall pump, two water supply pressure pumps, lights... :o

more than 50% of the bill is for airconditioning. i hate fans, i hate cross ventilation and i hate humidity.

by the way, i also hate sun, crowded beaches and sex tourists. that's why i selected Pattaya, Thailand :D

Electric Charge Table

The above link should bring up a fairly current charge rate table but there is an additional charge for fuel that changes fairly often which will make the true rates paid higher. I paid about 3.7 baht per KWH on an 8,000 baht bill last month.

I just bought a townhouse in Samui and I have seen your link from 2004 re the rate table. It won't let me in so I guess it changed since then. Can you tell me how to access such a site again or how to find it . You won't believe it but I am getting charged 8 baht per unit from the manager of the developement. There is a third party involved who owns the transformer (A Farang). We are all trying to get it down but they are sayin it is around 5-6 baht per unit charge from the government and we all know this is Bulls**t.

but they are sayin it is around 5-6 baht per unit charge from the government and we all know this is Bulls**t.

5-6 Baht is indeed bull. but the surcharge fluctuates (it's based on a mix of oil price AND consumption). i had monthly bills with an average of up to 4.21 Baht. last month's average was 3.844 Baht/kWh.

"There is a third party involved who owns the transformer"

that doesn't sound very encouraging (for you). as the owner of the trafo he might have the right to levy a surcharge to obtain a yield from his investment. but 100% is usury!

Electric Charge Table

The above link should bring up a fairly current charge rate table but there is an additional charge for fuel that changes fairly often which will make the true rates paid higher. I paid about 3.7 baht per KWH on an 8,000 baht bill last month.

I just bought a townhouse in Samui and I have seen your link from 2004 re the rate table. It won't let me in so I guess it changed since then. Can you tell me how to access such a site again or how to find it . You won't believe it but I am getting charged 8 baht per unit from the manager of the developement. There is a third party involved who owns the transformer (A Farang). We are all trying to get it down but they are sayin it is around 5-6 baht per unit charge from the government and we all know this is Bulls**t.

Look at your contract! How can a farang own a transformer? Kick his a.. and get your own meter by EGAT, you can make your private contract with EGAT in Nathon.

I know there are many landlords on Samui who charge 10 B/unit. I am tired of this monkeys business here.

Electric Charge Table

Look at your contract! How can a farang own a transformer? Kick his a.. and get your own meter by EGAT, you can make your private contract with EGAT in Nathon.

I know there are many landlords on Samui who charge 10 B/unit. I am tired of this monkeys business here.

Electric Charge Table

But you have got to be some sort of numnut to enter into a contract at Bt10 per unit haven't you ?

If the meter is still going around after you've disconnected all appliances, then someone else is / maybe using your electric.

15 aircons ? Some sort of hotel you live in ?

people who live in Europe or other cold climates have a heater (or two) in each room of their homes. give me one good reason why should i not have an aircon (or two) in each room of my home which is located in a hot and humid climate?

people who live in Europe or other cold climates have a heater (or two) in each room of their homes. give me one good reason why should i not have an aircon (or two) in each room of my home which is located in a hot and humid climate?

No, It's cool. Really! :o

Im paying about 5000b for 1 aircon that has been on most of the time because my gf is pregnant, some flouresent lights, a computer and sometimes a fan. The aircon did need cleaning but still it seems a little excessive to me

hi guys,just a new slant on the meter(i've checked and can't find it mentioned?) while staying in pattaya a few months back,i checked my first elictricity bill for one room one air con around 4000 bht!!! when i looked at the meter i noticed

it had 6 figures and the last one on the left was seperate,in the uk this signifies not a full unit but one tenth,and the manager was counting this digit as whole units,meaning she was adding a zero to my ussage!!i asked other residents if

they were charged in the same way?but none seemed to understand what i was trying to explain?after a month of argueing(i emailed the makers of the meter ,no help, i eventualy got a well dressed thai lad to take pictures of the meter i knew the manageress was watching on cttv)i gave the manageress the impression that i had confirmation that the meter had been missread, and paid the revised figure of more than 50%less than the original!!

Bill for the house only (office on different meter) always comes to < or > 100Bt of 1800Bt

There is 1 A/C , not used often, 2 TVs, 3 fridges, approx 6 fans (not always on), washing machine (used every day), numerous lights, 3 hot showers, rice cooker, microwave, iron and other things such as phone chargers.

Quite frankly I don't think they bother to read our meter, they just put the same amount as the previous month.

• 2 weeks later...

We pay around 4000 per month here in Hua Hin for 350 sq. mt. condo. We use the aircon a lot , but only the living room and bedrooms at night. I really don't see how the electricity is so cheap here in Thailand with the price of oil so high.

I guess the bills are so low just because we use less electricity then. I know most folks back home can't believe how low our bills are. My Dad's bill is about 11,000 baht / month for a relatively small house in California.

electric is not cheap in thailand as many post have suggested

I have just looked at my last three months bills.

787 kWHr.......total cost including tax B2885 gives about 3.66B/kWHr

495 kWHr.......total cost including tax B1768 gives about 3.57B/kWHr

656 kWHr.......total cost including tax B2407 gives about 3.66B/kWHR .

The slight different in cost is caused by the FT.

To me the price is ok as I came from the UK where it was 14p/kWHr or more when I left and that didn't include VAT.

The washing m/c runs a couple of times a day..step daughter clothes! mainly. One large air con unit in our room and a smaller one in the other bedroom at night. TV maybe 3 hours a day. Fan some of the day..maybe large air con in evening if its hot.

The variations in usage are caused by whether we are at home or not and how hot it is.

However I will say that we use a lot more electric/month on average here than in the UK. Our UK electric and gas bill was about £480/year.

Our maid says her electric bill in burma was cheap 0.

• 2 weeks later...

For the last 4 months, I have been paying between 12 - 15k for electricity...

I have spoke to the owner of the property, but she cannot understand it either... Ok, I have some big appliances (fridge,stereo and big TV) and have 1 air cond running pretty well constant, but seldom use a lot of lights or anything out of the ordinary....

Seems to be a huge monthly bill and I have even checked if someone is "backpacking" on my wiring and everything looks correct...

not sure, but cannot wait to move out now as I find it all hard to believe... The house rental is 25k per month (semi nice), the elec is 14k on average, then ubc is 2k+, then adsl at 1k per month and water charges of around 600 per month.

For the last 4 months, I have been paying between 12 - 15k for electricity...

I have spoke to the owner of the property, but she cannot understand it either... Ok, I have some big appliances (fridge,stereo and big TV) and have 1 air cond running pretty well constant, but seldom use a lot of lights or anything out of the ordinary....

Seems to be a huge monthly bill and I have even checked if someone is "backpacking" on my wiring and everything looks correct...

not sure, but cannot wait to move out now as I find it all hard to believe... The house rental is 25k per month (semi nice), the elec is 14k on average, then ubc is 2k+, then adsl at 1k per month and water charges of around 600 per month.

do you pay to the owner or do you pay the official bill? my best guess is that the landlord is cheating you BIG!

i have a rather big home, run several aircon units continously, two huge fridges/freezers, pool and pond. take a look at my last month's electricity bill:

post-35218-1185670444_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

just checked ---

average over past 9 months ThB1047 pm

I try to be frugal with Aircon but do use it in the bed room before sleeping then switch to fan (sometimes) or don't bother and use fan / open window.

Use small aircon plus ceiling fan in Office three to four hours on average per day

Aircon is usually set to somewhere between 26 - 29 degrees depending on mood i am in

Rest is lights / ceiling fans / One fridge freezer / TV etc

I live in two year old 200sqm house near Chiang Mai

hope it helps

2 Aircons Both 24,000 btu Running about 12hrs a day Between the two

2 fridges One large 12.5 One small 6.9

Two t.v's One 40'' lcd One 29'' tube Running most of the day, Between the two

Computer running almost all day

Washing machine load or two a day

Few lights, dvd home theatre.

Biggest bill 3100bht

Average 2200bht