How Much Do You Pay For Electricity Per Month?

How much do you pay for electricity per month?  

974 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jeez . .where are you, Colonel Mustard?

Phuket. .

Too much air con, pumps for deep bore well, pumps/filters for swimming pool and fish pond, 3 washing machines, 3 fridges, Ceiling fans, electric sprinkler system for the garden, electric gates, burglar alarm, God knows how many TVs and DVDs. lighting, 3 satellite dishes for TV, 1 satellite for internet etc etc etc

Quite depressing when I see what others are paying :o

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket. .

Too much air con, pumps for deep bore well, pumps/filters for swimming pool and fish pond, 3 washing machines, 3 fridges, Ceiling fans, electric sprinkler system for the garden, electric gates, burglar alarm, God knows how many TVs and DVDs. lighting, 3 satellite dishes for TV, 1 satellite for internet etc etc etc

He Col - I also have water pumps, elect sprinkler system, fish pond pumps, 3 sat dishes. elect gates. No burglar alarm , but I do have very powerful sensored security lights which come on frequently. I'm not trying to compete, just comment that my bill is almost half yours. Maybe someone is stealing from you - do you have your own meter?

Phuket. .

He Col - I also have water pumps, elect sprinkler system, fish pond pumps, 3 sat dishes. elect gates. No burglar alarm , but I do have very powerful sensored security lights which come on frequently. I'm not trying to compete, just comment that my bill is almost half yours. Maybe someone is stealing from you - do you have your own meter?

Have my own 3-phase transformer (at least I think that's what the ugly thing in my garden is anyway) and my own meter. No neighbours for at least 500 yards, so I doubt it's being stolen. Wasted? Maybe.

I have my parents living full time in the guesthouse and they seem to have 2 A/C units going pretty much 24 hours a day, we have another A/C unit going pretty much all day in the kids room due to a new born and I guess the one in the living room and my bedroom are on for a fair number of hours per day too.

When I first came to Thailand I was surprised by the size of my electricity bill, with aircon etc.

Then I worked out that what I was paying to keep cool was about the same as I paid back home (as a total fuel bill) to keep warm in the winter.

This put it all into perspective. :o

Phuket. .

Sounds like Doctor No's compound!

When I first came to Thailand I was surprised by the size of my electricity bill, with aircon etc.

Then I worked out that what I was paying to keep cool was about the same as I paid back home (as a total fuel bill) to keep warm in the winter.

This put it all into perspective. :o

Yes know exactly what you mean...I get p+ssed off over the 'over-pricing' at Bangkok supermarkets like Villa or Emporium....but then later realize that even though they charge 20% more it is still cheaper than what I'd pay in most Western countries! All relative..for sure. (except cars!...grrr)

OK, I'll bite: why do you operate THREE washing machines? :o

How much one pays for electricity not only depends upon the amount used, but also the Kilowatt hour charge rate. Therefore, I think it would be a more indicative to conduct a poll on "What is your KIlowatt Hour rate?" In this way, one can easily calculate the usage cost if one knows how many KWh have been used & at what rate(s) have been applied to the usage.

1 bloke says he uses 47 air cons, 4 washing machines, 128 lights, 7 pumps, all of which are used frequently etc etc etc & then says he gets charged 10 000 Baht a month. Another bloke says he has 2 air cons, 1 fridge, no pumps 50 lights, 1 washing machine & he gets charged 4 000 Baht a month. There is no way that these 2 situations can be compared unless KWh's are stated & the charge rate is given.

OK, I'll bite: why do you operate THREE washing machines? :o

We have one in the main house, one in the guest house for my parents and we have a large, heavy duty one for bedding, curtains etc.

OK, I'll bite: why do you operate THREE washing machines? :D

We have one in the main house, one in the guest house for my parents and we have a large, heavy duty one for bedding, curtains etc.

Well, we have four washing machines. :D

Ying - maid number 1 washing m/c for general delicates

Dow - Maid number 2, washing machine for floor cloths, mats and the like

Wife - washing machine no. 3 for her personal, and extremely expensive delicates

Mr Electrolux - washing m/c no.4 for anything that doesn't fit the above catagories, and the wife begrudgingly trusts not to ruin the wash.

In spite of all these machines, many of my clothes seem to end up ruined :D

BTW Col, your stated use of A/Cs would certainly push your elect bill way above mine. Those a/c's are a killer.

I'm having a house full next month and I'm thinking of politely introducing a daily a/c charge. :o

Has anyone noticed that visitors from abroad never turn off a/c's when leaving their bedrooms, no matter how many times you remind them?

Wow, I'm impressed. Four washing machines. And, here I bought one that has different cycles for different types of loads. :o

A bit of laundry trivia I was told by a laundry shop owner who also sold washing machines:

Different types of soil/dirt has different alkalinity. Some comes out with plain water, but could be "burned in" by detergent. His example was ink on his white dress shirts: he would soak them in a pail of plain water before laundering them, and the ink would be gone. If he simply threw the shirt in the washer with detergent, some ink would become a permanent stain.

He said the reverse was not true, i.e. that stains that required detergent would not be affected by a plain water soak or rinse first. So, what I do is run the laundry through a rinse cycle with just plain water before I do the "real" wash cycle with detergent. Out of guilt for "wasting" water, I use a lower water level for the pre-wash rinse than I use for the actual wash cycle.

After both reading this thread and checking with friends; If one pays the standard rate per KWH (almost 4 Baht when add all the "extras", taxes Etc.) a resonable rule of thumb is that a "standard" size aircon (for a 30-40 m2 room) running 24/7 will cost about 3000 Baht/mth. If only on half day(going to work) then 1500 Baht/mth. Try out the calculation and see how it fits.

"Others"(PC,fridge,lights,aircleaner,tv) seems to be in the 500 Baht range for me (condo).

Cheers!

I haven't read any of these posts so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but it was recently pointed out to me that I am burning the baht by putting on my aircon for a mere five minutes just to cool down when I arrive home.

Apparently it costs the same as having it on for an hour.

Jeez, this is an ancient post!

I was curious about my electric charges here at my Jomtien condo, and never realized that the reception desk kept a file full of my bills. I had previously thought the condo staff just walked around and read the meters and charged whatever they wanted, but it looks like the power company actually issues separate bills for each condo unit. Anyway, I got a stack of a few years' electric bills handed to me this afternoon, the first time I'd ever seen one.

Am I reading this correctly:

elecbill.gif

I used 473 units for a basic charge of B1223.52 (~B2.59/unit),

plus a surcharge (fuel?) of B404.13 (B0.8544/unit),

for a pre-tax total of B1627.65 (~B3.44/unit)?

If not, what is that .8544 figure? And, what is the "unit"? Kwh?

This was my Sept bill. My October bill was only for 97 units, and my November bill was for *ZERO* units. I think my meter stopped about one week into October! :o

Yeah you got the unit right; KWH.

So forgetting all the details: Baht 1742/473 units = 3.7 Baht/unit.

That is the same I pay when use in that range. If you use MORE the price per unit goes up also.

Your Oct/Nov bills sounds SWEET! :o More beer money! CHeers!

FYI, the bill for November for zero units was B43.76.

elecbill_0.gif

What do you suppose the electric company will do when they catch on? Is it in my best interest to contact them about the meter is not working?

FYI, the bill for November for zero units was B43.76.

elecbill_0.gif

What do you suppose the electric company will do when they catch on? Is it in my best interest to contact them about the meter is not working?

I would tell them ASAP because the electricity company are well within their rights to estimate the usage (based on previous usage) for the period the meter wasn't working. Usually, it will be a slight over-estimate. It would not be very pleasant suddenly receiving a 4500 Baht bill after 3 months of "getting away with it".

• 4 weeks later...

3 bedrooms, 250 sqm condo in CBD Bangkok : 7-8 K electricity bill

3 bed 2 bath bungalow in pattaya with 2 aircons, refrig, and 3 tower fans runs me about B800 per month. the past month or so, have not unse the air cons much. in hot season, maybe 4-6 hours per day, usually at night to fall asleep.

i just paid 400 baht and i live in a new studio condo 30 square feet, I live alone, have a pc, tv, fridge, and air-con, + microwave, last year i lived in another condo was paying around 1000 baht for it sometimes up to 1500 and the least 1000, i like my bill now :o

i just paid 400 baht and i live in a new studio condo 30 square feet, I live alone, have a pc, tv, fridge, and air-con, + microwave, last year i lived in another condo was paying around 1000 baht for it sometimes up to 1500 and the least 1000, i like my bill now :D

to get a 400 baht electricity bill with a broken aircon and drinking lukewarm beer shouldn't be a problem.

:o

p.s. i pay 400 baht a day during the hot season and now it has dropped to ~300 baht a day.

Edited by Dr. Naam

I only pay on average 400 baht a month. Thats a fridge, fish tank, fan or two fans running sometimes, TV on in the evening, computer on all day. Rarely use air con except for the hot season then run it at night. Still don't reach a 1000 a month though.

Aircons the pricey one, change a few settings on it should help.

i just paid 400 baht and i live in a new studio condo 30 square feet, I live alone, have a pc, tv, fridge, and air-con, + microwave, last year i lived in another condo was paying around 1000 baht for it sometimes up to 1500 and the least 1000, i like my bill now :o

Is the 30 square feet a typo , because if not you would have

to live alone as you don't even have enough floor space left for

a bed.

Useful information on here.

Could we have a similar poll to this based on the amount per unit we all pay.

One of the problems with renting is that the landlords jack the electricity bills up to maximise profits as most foreigners don't look until to late or don't botehr checking until it crops up in conversation at a much later date.

I own and pay about 2.4ish per month. When I go to Bangkok on Business for a few months on occasion, I have been presented with retyped bills charging electricity 9 baht and 12 baht a unit. This in the Rangsit area so am sure there is potential for even bigger mark ups further into town.

My bills for a 4 bedroom house (5 aircons) are between 900 and 1500 baht per month and I know this is a lot less than some of my friends pay in one room appartments.

Edited by Dupont

• 2 weeks later...

:o

Just moved into a one bedroom townhouse (what we would call in the States a row house) and my first electric bill was in the mailbox today, it is for 600.31 THB and I have been here since the 8th of Jan. The only dates that I can decipher on the bill is 21/1/50 and 01/2550. Since today is the 21st they either read my meter today and printed out the bill and put it in the mail box or this is an estimated bill!! Since I cannot read Thai could anyone post a facsimile of a typical government issued bill and annotate which each box means. My concern is that part of this 600.31 THB MAY be owed by the landlord for electricity that was used before I moved in.

Since I don't know Thai I don't dare scan this bill and have the experts comment on it.

It has 3 boxes on the top. Reading left to right I have 0806101, next box is 198-138101, last box is A0956157

Next row has 4 boxes. First box has 11, next box has a Thai symbol, next box has 21/1/50, next box has 08:21 and another Thai symbol and last box has 01/2550

Then there is a bunch of Thai writing. (which is probably the landlords name and address)

We then have three large boxes, the first has 1158, the next has 971, and the last box has 187

We then have some Thai symbols and 0.000 following across the bill we have another box that has 414.39

Then another line with Thai symbols and 0.7842 following across the bill we have 146.65

This large box then shows 561.04 followed by 39.27 which I can tell is VAT since it is preceded by 7 %

Then the final box which has *********600.31

Any help in deciphering this bill will be appreciated and to add information for the survey have a new fridge with small freezer compartment on top. Two new air conditioning units. One in living room and one in bed room. Three ceiling fans (2 in living room) one in bedroom. One oscillating fan in kitchen which is separated from rest of house by a door. On demand hot water heater in the back bathroom that seldom works since it has a low pressure cut off switch and since am on "city" water pressure is very low. Usually take cold showers and only use A/C on very warm days or when kids next door are very noisy. Two TV's both of which are new but have only used the living room one sparingly. Computer is laptop with power brick and ADSL modem. Gas stove top and a small coffee maker. Finally all light are low wattage fluorescent circles or screw ins.

Thanks in advance.

Langsuan Man