No confirmation on when international tourists can return to Thailand: PM

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

It's fascinating to watch the leadership of a country literally destroy that country's economy. //

Always easy to criticize the one who has to take decisions when yourself have no responsability if something goes wrong because of these decisions...

Rather than only criticize Thailand and its government, please tell me how it's different for nearby countries : Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, ...

My opinion (as a stranded abroad) is that nearly nothing will change for several months, but they will try to have tourists back before high season (December... 6 months... :( )

Only thing who could accelerate the process is if one of nearby countries decides to widely open to tourism again. In such case Thailand very probably would quickly follow the move.

Let's wait & see.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wagsthedog said:

by lifting the restriction to allow tourists from bubble countries will mean the Thai government is saying its totally safe here. With the amount of what you can and cannot do including not going to the beach (Phuket) why would you want to come here. On holiday you want a bit of adventure, go for a swim go out at night and have a drink. This is not possible.

1. the government are suppressing the masses by keeping the restrictions on, so when lifted the proletariat will be so grateful,  OR....

2. the amount if infections recorded are falsely played down, i.e. there are more infections and deaths than is recorded and the government have to keep the restrictions in place.

3. the ordinary Thai person is busting to back to work and earn some cash, if Thai people cannot earn money there will be more crime as people get desperate.

Its not the same as it was even 5 years ago ( bars entertainment) now there are many chinese who charge anything they buy back to china, have you seen them in 7-11 or Tesco or family mart, there are many indian tourists but they dont spend any money. When the indians book a hotel room at an agreed price they always ask for more discount on arrival!!, I'm glad I sold my hotel 3 years ago, I couldn't stand the BS anymore  

Until covid I  hardly get the till at 7-11 for large groups of Chinese.

Any whilst present in smaller numbers they cut the queue!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

So I can not leave LOS and go to Europe and/or the US and then return to LOS after 2 to 5 weeks (my frequent pattern) sooner than October at best, which is what I've been expecting.

Sadly I'm kind of in the same boat, U.S. certainly will not be on the list until the end of the year if we are lucky!  The operable word is travel bubble?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

It's very SIMPLE when you think outside the norms. I left Hong Kong a few weeks back, and at the airport they were testing every single passenger that arrived into Hong Kong. Yes it was a long process (mainly due to the security, and admin involved) but it could also have been streamlined. 

There are now quick instant tests available, being carried out in America (even in the White House), Japan, Hong Kong. You aren't going to see 30 million tourists a year, so the numbers are going to be down. A flight arrives, and you test each passenger before letting them leave. Any costs associated could be passed onto the passengers. 

Back in the day, asking passengers to wait hours for immigration would have seemed insane too. But it happens.

Testing at airports is a simple solutions, and about to be adopted in many european countries who are so reliant on tourism. Thailand is massively reliant on tourism when you look at their GDP. 

Those that rely on tourism for so much of their economy, have to lead the ways in innovations. Sadly, i don't think Thailand will adapt. 

Countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, UK, will take hits but a loss of tourism won't hurt them like it would hurt a Thailand, Italy, Maldives, Caribbean etc 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Don't get mistaken. The Chinese ordered their people not to travel. China will tell Thailand when they are going to arrive, not the other way round. 

Correct, there is no guarantee that mass tourism from the China will be allowed. Maybe the rich Chinese and CCP hangers on will b e allowed to travel, but I doubt the hordes of tour groups will be around this year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

The UK has never had 10,000 cases a day. It had 1600 yesterday. Still horrendous, but it's nowhere near 10,00 and never has been.

Furthermore it is carrying out testing on mass than most other countries in the world so it's bound to find alot of cases. 

However in saying all that, they have handled the epidemic terribly. 

check out around 16:20, the UK has had higher daily totals many times, but you believe who you like..

9 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Correct, there is no guarantee that mass tourism from the China will be allowed. Maybe the rich Chinese and CCP hangers on will b e allowed to travel, but I doubt the hordes of tour groups will be around this year.

The estimate is that 77% of Chinese tourists, on resumption, will be independent travellers.

That matches previous trends so it might be an idea to drop the 'tour groups' fascination. You're out of date.

CPC members aren't allowed foreign travel without special dispensation  either.

I know too many thai people in Pattaya who are starving now.

I start to have an unsafe feeling now. I hope they will at least allow 1st of jully the chinese tourists to come back.

Edited by Spellforce
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Those that rely on tourism for so much of their economy, have to lead the ways in innovations. Sadly, i don't think Thailand will adapt. 

Countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, UK, will take hits but a loss of tourism won't hurt them like it would hurt a Thailand, Italy, Maldives, Caribbean etc 

they'll adapt, and in the end be much happier..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Meaning that the Thai tourism industry will continue to be in the crapper and millions who depends on it for their survival will continue to suffer and lose their life's works and investments witch will take years to recover from, way to go PM...

Even if they open the country today, with no restrictions at all - who could come?  

Australia and New Zealand have also discussed plans to resume travel between the two countries, potentially starting from September.

So Aussies and kiwis won't be able to leave Australia and NZ without government approval before then. 

Other countries plan putting similar restrictions in place as well. 

On the other hand, many countries are talking about opening up with conditions such as allowing tourists from only covid 19 clean countries, restricting tourists to some locations only and so on. 

1 minute ago, AndrewMciver said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Like i said, they had 1600 cases yesterday. That is a stark difference to your claim they had 10,000 - which is false. They have never had anywhere 10,000 infections a day, which is a gross exaggerated lie. 

As i said the UK has carried out nearly 5 million tests on the population, with them now ramping up to 200,000 a day. Antibody tests rolling out next week. Thailand meanwhile has only carried out 400,000 tests in total, and zero antibody tests. Both similar populations sizes.

The UK rate is also high because of the problems they have had in care homes for the elderly. 

That's why no one can really be sure how many people in Thailand actually had the disease. But it's fair to say it's has not succumbed to the pandemic like many European countries. Be it luck, climate, health of the population (namely weight issues), density of the cities they have done well. 

choose to believe what you want if it makes you feel better..

9 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

But they are planning for Songkran to be held in july? What would happen if massive amounts of (drunk) people would flock together ? Do they expect it will not breakout again?

That is only the Culture Ministry so far. Anywhere else a senior leader would have stamped that out already or the announcement would not have been cleared by the higher office. We wait to see what happens there, clearly lunacy in my opinion.

Edited by Bluetongue
SPELLING
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

But they are planning for Songkran to be held in july? What would happen if massive amounts of (drunk) people would flock together ? Do they expect it will not breakout again?

Are you panicking? A few might get “covid”, a few may get sick for a few days. Such is life...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robbioff said:

Are you panicking? A few might get “covid”, a few may get sick for a few days. Such is life...

No, who has 6 days off, 3 days after returning from a 3 month shutdown, mostly without pay

Edited by Bluetongue
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

It's not the individual choice. The likelyhood, China will not want returning tourists with infections, hence they will keep a lockdown on mass movement for the time being. They have said as much. 

Sorry I as talking the opposite direction. There's been just under 2000 returnees to China found to be infected (and transmissable) so you have a good point.

So if you leave the UK, considered an unsafe departure point but transit through a so called safe point, can they efficiently monitor that, without having to go through all your travel arrangements. Even so if you stopped over a couple of days somewhere I don't see how they can really pin point your actual original departure point if there is no stamp in your passport as would be the case if you transferred through an EU safe country as it stands right now.