Mark Wahlberg's hate crimes history resurfaces after Black Lives Matter post

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Those who can read have a distinct advantage. Wahlberg's own bodyguard said he has not changed in his attitude to Asians and Blacks.

"Mark Walhberg's former bodyguard has revealed that he does not believe the star deserves a pardon for the violent assaults he committed in 1988. 

Leonard Taylor, who worked as an unpaid bodyguard for Wahlberg for three and a half years, said that he does not believe the actor has changed his ways, but 'he just has money now where he can cover it up'."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2877186/Mark-Wahlberg-s-former-bodyguard-says-star-NOT-pardoned-viciously-beating-Vietnamese-man-26-years-ago.html

of  course there  was NO incentive with Leonard  Taylor a  confessed  drug addict also. Unpaid no grievance there then?

in a $2 million civil lawsuit at the time that Wahlberg punched him in the face and bit him on the arm. But Taylor later dropped the suit, and no criminal charges were ever filed. But Taylor, who’s battled drug addiction, said, “I’m gonna be here every six years doing something to remind people, I’m gonna be in my 70s telling people he attacked me. This is not about money, this is personal.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

He's a devout Roman catholic going to mass almost daily..

Be  careful he'll become a  paedophile  next and then Ill deserve another good witch hunt  beating

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I don't see  his comment as defending a wrongful act. What Wahlberg did was  wrong. However, he came from a very white trash  upbringing in a  heavily segregated city. He said what he was taught to do. When Mark grew up and started performing he came into contact with afro americans. His attitude started changing at that time. If a kid is taught hate, and sees only hate from a young age, how do you think he would turn out?  He's a devout Roman catholic going to mass almost daily.. Consider the impact of such a religious position on a  young kid. He confessed to a priest and all was forgiven in his world.

Kids  especially are very  prone to peer  pressure this is why so many drink and smoke and why religion spreads so easily. If  all your mates ( and I really didnt have any when young and still  dont to not go along with their <deleted>) are kicking the hell out of someone then  the tendency is to do it  also for fear of your group out casting you . 

A movie star's only relevance is during the 1.5 hours or so of a movie's duration, and even then it is only as the character he's playing. Once the movie is over I don't need to know anything more about him. I don't want to know about his political opinions or anything about his private life. This goes for musicians too.

Are a movie star's opinions of any more value than your local plumber or carpenter (for example)? If anything, as privileged individuals they are less able to understand reality and you'll learn more from your plumber.

They should stick to what they are good at. Period. For example, I think Mel Gibson is extremely talented and just because he's an *hole and alcoholic in real life doesn't diminish his talents as an actor or director. We lost out on a lot of good movies because people were too obsessed with his private life.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

A movie star's only relevance is during the 1.5 hours or so of a movie's duration, and even then it is only as the character he's playing. Once the movie is over I don't need to know anything more about him. I don't want to know about his political opinions or anything about his private life. This goes for musicians too.

Are a movie star's opinions of any more value than your local plumber or carpenter (for example)? If anything, as privileged individuals they are less able to understand reality and you'll learn more from your plumber.

They should stick to what they are good at. Period. For example, I think Mel Gibson is extremely talented and just because he's an *hole and alcoholic in real life doesn't diminish his talents as an actor or director. We lost out on a lot of good movies because people were too obsessed with his private life.

I agree, Mel Gibson is supremely talented.

However you're missing out on not reading biographies of people like Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant,  Jerry Lewis, it's fascinating reading. Often more interesting than the films or music they made.

Not that Wahlberg belongs in that list, his films are trash and he's a disgusting human being.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bodga said:

of  course there  was NO incentive with Leonard  Taylor a  confessed  drug addict also. Unpaid no grievance there then?

in a $2 million civil lawsuit at the time that Wahlberg punched him in the face and bit him on the arm. But Taylor later dropped the suit, and no criminal charges were ever filed. But Taylor, who’s battled drug addiction, said, “I’m gonna be here every six years doing something to remind people, I’m gonna be in my 70s telling people he attacked me. This is not about money, this is personal.

Actually there is a different reason for the grievances between Leonard and Wahlberg.

Leonard was a friend of Wahlberg, he would party with him. However turns out that 13 years after his attacks on Asians and Blacks Walhberg had not changed, as he threw a racial slur at Leonard. That is the reason they fell out.

"Taylor says he spent three-and-a-half years protecting and partying with the former rapper, despite the fact he "didn't pay me a dime."

Their relationship ended in 2001 when the two got into a headlines-making fight outside a downtown Manhattan club.

Taylor, who's African-American, claims Wahlberg started the scrap when he directed a racially insensitive remark at him.

He eventually sued Wahlberg, who he alleges bit him during the scuffle, but dropped the legal action because, he says, "I genuinely like Mark.""

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ex-bodyguard-tell-all-throws-book-mark-wahlberg-uma-thurman-article-1.1050686

10 hours ago, dddave said:

The Wahlberg's grew up in Dorchester, Mass., a very tough, working class neighborhood of Boston during the very racially polarized 1970's/80's.  Involuntary school busing as part of a court ordered desegregation plan was causing huge social unrest and riots around schools were a daily event.

It was a very racially charged time and working class neighborhoods were seething with resentment as their elementary school aged kids were being forced to attend schools in other parts of the city, sometimes many miles away.  Local politicians fanned the flames and deep racism  was commonplace.

The mark of a mature adult is the ability to overcome such feelings learned young and grow.  I think Mark Wahlberg has done that and should not be viewed as a racist for things said in a different era.

I agree with your post, and with forgiveness as a general principle. As others pointed out, if he remained silent, he surely would have been condemned, probably more harshly. I believe there should always be room for redemption, especially when the moment is so big and the opportunities there for taking some real steps forward. 

But I think it is also fair for him to be held to account for what he did. 

42 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Actually there is a different reason for the grievances between Leonard and Wahlberg.

Leonard was a friend of Wahlberg, he would party with him. However turns out that 13 years after his attacks on Asians and Blacks Walhberg had not changed, as he threw a racial slur at Leonard. That is the reason they fell out.

"Taylor says he spent three-and-a-half years protecting and partying with the former rapper, despite the fact he "didn't pay me a dime."

Their relationship ended in 2001 when the two got into a headlines-making fight outside a downtown Manhattan club.

Taylor, who's African-American, claims Wahlberg started the scrap when he directed a racially insensitive remark at him.

He eventually sued Wahlberg, who he alleges bit him during the scuffle, but dropped the legal action because, he says, "I genuinely like Mark.""

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ex-bodyguard-tell-all-throws-book-mark-wahlberg-uma-thurman-article-1.1050686

Be  honest, you nore I can NEVER  know the truth here but as usual there are 2  sides to every story.

And then again a ,  "tell  all book"

He  feels "used" surely its  his  job as hired muscle. I didnt expect my customers to help me after my work with them was  done.

Bronx native Leonard Taylor , 43, tells us he feels "used" by a number of his former clients and is almost finished with a memoir about protecting Mark Wahlberg , Uma Thurman and other big names and egos that will even the score.

Edited by bodga

13 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Let's just hit those actors who survive #MeToo with something new and then finish the rest of them for being heterosexual

Yeah those  annoying heterosexuals, dunno what the world's  coming too, sick of hearing about them,darn em all!

5 minutes ago, bodga said:

Be  honest, you nore I can NEVER  know the truth here but as usual there are 2  sides to every story.

And then again a ,  "tell  all book"

Bronx native Leonard Taylor , 43, tells us he feels "used" by a number of his former clients and is almost finished with a memoir about protecting Mark Wahlberg , Uma Thurman and other big names and egos that will even the score.

The fight between Leonard and Wahlberg was in public. Plenty of witnesses. Wahlberg called Leonard a racial slur. Why would they fall out so bad otherwise? They were friends.

Looks like Wahlberg used racial slurs in 2001, when he was 30 years old.

45 minutes ago, Logosone said:

but dropped the legal action because

He  probably had no evidence  or was  told it would be a hopeless  cause, like two kids in a playground  saying he started it to the teacher.

You may not  like the man and I  have never seen one of his  films and have no  opinion of his character today,  doesnt mean he's as he was 30 years  ago. I  know Im not, are you?

11 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Why would they fall out so bad otherwise?

Leonard has already stated some reasons why, saying Mark offered to take care of him then didnt.

Edited by bodga

54 minutes ago, bodga said:

He  probably had no evidence  or was  told it would be a hopeless  cause, like two kids in a playground  saying he started it to the teacher.

You may not  like the man and I  have never seen one of his  films and have no  opinion of his character today,  doesnt mean he's as he was 30 years  ago. I  know Im not, are you?

I have the same view now about beating Vietnamese people on the head with a stick which I had 30 years ago, yes, I don't care for it.

And no, I don't like Wahlberg, ever since I found out he was a vicious little thug who beat up children and old men for kicks.

Of course his wooden acting and terrible films didn't help. Horrible little man.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I have the same view now about beating Vietnamese people on the head with a stick which I had 30 years ago, yes, I don't care for it.

And no, I don't like Wahlberg, ever since I found out he was a vicious little thug who beat up children and old men for kicks.

Of course his wooden acting and terrible films didn't help. Horrible little man.

So  in all  things your'e  the same now as 30 yrs  ago? I  know I'm not in fact Im so different Im glad  I never  got  married  before  40 as I would  have had umpteen divorces.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Which makes you as credible as his 20+ years ago bodyguard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought the whole idea of the current protests was to cause people to reflect on their previous bad behaviour and have them change for the better individually, thereby becoming themselves part of a movement for institutional change.

wahlberg has already admitted to doing wrong in his early years and as far as I can see, has indeed changed. Why then castigate him? He is a role model for what needs to happen with a lot of other people. Admission of intolerant acts and attitudes, coupled with change for the better.

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I thought the whole idea of the current protests was to cause people to reflect on their previous bad behaviour and have them change for the better individually, thereby becoming themselves part of a movement for institutional change.

wahlberg has already admitted to doing wrong in his early years and as far as I can see, has indeed changed. Why then castigate him? He is a role model for what needs to happen with a lot of other people. Admission of intolerant acts and attitudes, coupled with change for the better.

Well, his associates don't think he changed for the better:

"Leonard Taylor, who worked as an unpaid bodyguard for Wahlberg for three and a half years, said that he does not believe the actor has changed his ways, but 'he just has money now where he can cover it up'."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2877186/Mark-Wahlberg-s-former-bodyguard-says-star-NOT-pardoned-viciously-beating-Vietnamese-man-26-years-ago.html

17 hours ago, bodga said:

Im sure many people  have done stupid things they regretted in later  life, give it a rest baying  mob.

Well I guess they have to make room for the virtue signaling masses ... they make me as sick as the racists, what hypocrites.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Marks drug dealer?

More like hired muscle, cause you know guys like Wahlberg like to kick a guy in the face when he's lying down and being held down firmly by a 6 foot 4 associate.

They always take on anyone....provided they have back-up from 3 other guys.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Well, his associates don't think he changed for the better:

"Leonard Taylor, who worked as an unpaid bodyguard for Wahlberg for three and a half years, said that he does not believe the actor has changed his ways, but 'he just has money now where he can cover it up'."

Could you post that again. Id like to read it a 4th time.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mr mr said:

stupid things for sure who hasn't. there are stupid things and then there are things that define who you really are as a person.

a tad more than stupid wouldn't you say. i mean come on man you have had to at least done some things like this when you were young right ? ????

an eye for an eye eh funky bunch ? 

https://reelrundown.com/celebrities/Hate-Crimes-of-Mark-Wahlberg

Nearly two years later, on April 8, 1988, Mark decided to turn his hatred towards Asians. Thanh Lam, while carrying two cases of beer from his car to his home, was struck by a large wooden stick wielded by Mark Wahlberg; Mark, at this time, called Thanh a "Vietnam <deleted>--ing sh-t!" The blow knocked the man out.

Mark and two others left the scene. Mark then ran into another Vietnamese man named Hoa Trinh; at first asking the man for help in hiding from the police, when police came along, Wahlberg punched the man in the eye, knocking him to the ground; Trinh ended up losing that eye.

While in police custody, Mark continued to refer to "Slant-eyed g--ks" and other such slurs

So let's see.

Mark Whahlberg, as a teenager got into trouble for racial abuse. He, as a mature adult now, moved on from that, and more importantly speaks out against racism.

But you say, no, can't change. His teenage actions defined him as a person.

George Floyd. As a young man robbed housed at gun point. including deliberately pointing his gun at a pregnant lady's belly; smashing an old lady's skull in with his pistol and served prison time. 

In later life, he was unlawfully killed by a police officer. And some are trying to turn him into a martyr.

But I guess you see George Floyd as a criminal armed thief and illegal drug abuser who couldn't have changed because his significant actions as a young person defined him?

Or are you saying white people can't change but black people can?

Or just applying double standards?