Flying to Thailand

Unless someone has a crystal ball or is connected at the hip to the Government then the answer is not for the foreseeable future.  THAI Airways just changed there re-opening of flights to August, that should be an indicator that the inbound flights are probably getting pushed farther down the road.  

• Like 1

The "when" will likely depend on your nationality/permanent stay.

They might open per country in "bubbles".

And don't say Italy, UK, Russia, USA, Sweden ....

And even for the "green" countries I would not expect unlimited tourist travel before August.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

I would say late September / October if everything goes well and there isn't a phase 2 of covid coming.

I am pretty sure they will allow entry "per country" but I would not have any hopes for US and other top 20 infected countries this year and well after that (unless a proper cure is found) 

Edited by anon7854
  • Like 1

I agree that high risk countries will very likely not be allowed to enter Thailand for some time. 

Saying that , I read last week that a Phuket tourism official had invited a U.K. official to come and inspect Phuket’s new corona measures to see if they are fit for travellers...

• Like 2

I booked our flights back in Jan to fly out to LOS on July 8th. Etihad emailed today to say they have moved our flights but same day just 6 hours earlier. I do not know if we wll be allowed to fly ( well the mrs will as shes Thai) . I messaged the UK Thai embassy today and will wait for their response. I have a feeling it will be a yes you can come but have to isolate in the Bkk hotel of their choice for 14 days and having to pay through the nose for the pleasure. If so then our flights will be getting moved  to next year as only going for 18 days, so pointless isolating then only having 3 days in Isaan with family. If I get any positive news will post here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickj88 said:

I booked our flights back in Jan to fly out to LOS on July 8th. Etihad emailed today to say they have moved our flights but same day just 6 hours earlier. I do not know if we wll be allowed to fly ( well the mrs will as shes Thai) . I messaged the UK Thai embassy today and will wait for their response. I have a feeling it will be a yes you can come but have to isolate in the Bkk hotel of their choice for 14 days and having to pay through the nose for the pleasure. If so then our flights will be getting moved  to next year as only going for 18 days, so pointless isolating then only having 3 days in Isaan with family. If I get any positive news will post here.

As everyone else I am in the dark regarding the matter but whatever the reply is, please make sure to read the stories of/about the Thai Nationals' spouses forced to fly back to the country of provenance while their family are allowed in the Kingdom. 

I have read there was some hope a week ago regarding that particular situation but not confident it has positively evolved.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, alyx said:

As everyone else I am in the dark regarding the matter but whatever the reply is, please make sure to read the stories of/about the Thai Nationals' spouses forced to fly back to the country of provenance while their family are allowed in the Kingdom. 

I have read there was some hope a week ago regarding that particular situation but not confident it has positively evolved.

That will not help mik88 as neither he nor wive are residing in Thailand they are only visiting.  

As to when it will open I think the UK will be on the no fly list also.  You will probably see them open the skies for Asian countries first to keep it small.  After that I would think that Australia might be newt.  No matter what it is going to be a slow deliberate opening.  

9 hours ago, mickj88 said:

Phuket just opened but not sure if you can get off the island. Might be a thought.

30 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

That will not help mik88 as neither he nor wive are residing in Thailand they are only visiting.  

As to when it will open I think the UK will be on the no fly list also.  You will probably see them open the skies for Asian countries first to keep it small.  After that I would think that Australia might be newt.  No matter what it is going to be a slow deliberate opening.  

I think that you are mistaken as Mickj88's spouse is Thai and if, as you say, none of them is a resident they will not be permitted to enter Thailand as no tourists are allowed in

"Today" (from one of my acquaintances' experience who managed to arrive via KL last week) a few documents are compulsory to be allowed in the Kingdom when one is not Thai, and possess a work permit: a fit to fly certificate, a statement from the Thai Embassy (country of provenance), a 100,000 USD insurance

Also note that even if one of your kids is on your work permit they will not be allowed in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Phuket just opened but not sure if you can get off the island. Might be a thought.

I doubt that was for International flights and certainly not for foreigners. Last I heard it was still part of Thailand.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree, all the top infected countries will not make it in 2020 .  If there is much spike in the 2nd wave from the first batch of countries, and I predict there will be, they will then go for #2 lockdown and wait for  a vaccine  and require certificates for tourists.  But is a vaccine that works 100% just a dream.   But this is just the flu I dont know why my life has been so interrupted.   fools!  all fools  I say 

Edited by Elkski

22 hours ago, anon7854 said:

I would say late September / October if everything goes well and there isn't a phase 2 of covid coming.

I am pretty sure they will allow entry "per country" but I would not have any hopes for US and other top 20 infected countries this year and well after that (unless a proper cure is found) 

Nonsense. Economies aren't going to survive that long. As for "cures" fat chance of that. The flu occurs every year and there is no "cure". We just learn to live with it.

September/October is likely for all countries unless a new lockdown occurs then, as some are predicting. Although if that happens it's anyone's guess as to what the global economy will look like then.

Malaysia only just allowed interstate travel from today. This is to last until 31 august so no in or out until at least then.

So looking like september at earliest for malaysia. I expect thailand to be similar.

7 hours ago, alyx said:

I think that you are mistaken as Mickj88's spouse is Thai and if, as you say, none of them is a resident they will not be permitted to enter Thailand as no tourists are allowed in

"Today" (from one of my acquaintances' experience who managed to arrive via KL last week) a few documents are compulsory to be allowed in the Kingdom when one is not Thai, and possess a work permit: a fit to fly certificate, a statement from the Thai Embassy (country of provenance), a 100,000 USD insurance

Also note that even if one of your kids is on your work permit they will not be allowed in.

arrived via kl? It must have only been a quick stop via transit as no one can fly in or out of kl.

With all of the empty hotels and airplanes I just don't understand why the Thai Government have not by now seriously ramped up their capacity to allow people to come to Thailand and do two weeks quarantine at their own expense in a suitable hotel.   Clearly not many tourists would opt for this but many others with long term visas would.  It would create income for the hotels and airlines.  It would also allow those non Thais who want to come back to Thailand and spend foreign currency to do so without any possible risk in terms of the virus.  This would be a clear win win.  I can't make up my mind if the Thai Governments position is one of incompetence or xenophobia.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

I agree, all the top infected countries will not make it in 2020 .  If there is much spike in the 2nd wave from the first batch of countries, and I predict there will be, 

It is no longer an IF. US opened up too early because masks are Communism, or Fascist Science, I need to get my hair done, or whatever other bat<deleted> going on over there. In today's paper 19 States are seeing cases spike from everybody having a great time on Memorial Day. Woo Hoo! Hoist your beers in the air! Freedom!

22 hours ago, alyx said:

Don't forget the mandatory 14 days hotel quarantine which you have to pay yourself. Self isolation is NOT allowed. This might change in the future depending on where you come from. 

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Don't forget the mandatory 14 days hotel quarantine which you have to pay yourself. Self isolation is NOT allowed. This might change in the future depending on where you come from. 

555 yes but that if one is passes successfully through immigration ????