Does phuket suffer from jellyfish?

noiceonemate

We were kin phuket 2 years ago, went swimming in the sea no problem. Enjoyed it.

Last december we were in langkawi (malaysia), on the travel forums we were warned of jellyfish, apparntly they are the box type (not as deadly as Australian, but will take you to ICU/ITU). it ruined our holiday as we had a baby by then and weren't taking any chances.

Made me wonder, whether we were just irrationally fearful or there was genuine cause.

Looking back, phuket was no far away from langkawi and we enjoyed the waters thoroughly because we didnt hear of any jellyfish problems. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Jellyfish are random. Sometimes lots of them show up and sometimes none in the water. You can usually tell if it's a time with more of them as they wash up on the beach. Sometimes they are tiny but still cause stings and skin irritation. The deadly ones are actually rare if you see how few people have been stung by them around here but it can happen. There are first aid stations at some beaches for care if you get stung. I've been in the water around Phuket many times and stung twice. 

High season no issues in Phuket. Low season can't tell I wouldn't go to beach anyway because beaches and sea are trash. Low season also saw Portuguese man-o-war stranded on beach according to news in Phuket. 

I love it. Sandwiched between expertise on high season and ignorance on Jellyfish in low season is an admission that he wouldn’t/ doesn’t go to the beach. 

• Like 1

I've never been to either Phuket or Samui, but it was only a few years ago that two German backpacker girls got badly stung by 'chironex' (scientific name) box jellyfish when swimming on Samui. Both girls were aged about twenty. One died within hours and the other was critical for days and was scarred for life. As a now retired army Officer, I used to warn all my soldiers that "anything you do in LOS can get you killed, including doing nothing." I've lost count of my jellyfish stings, as I was a surfer in my younger days, but the government in LOS has never to my knowledge ever put up signs warning about box jellyfish, (or any other thing for that matter). Box jellyfish are seasonal and are translucent or clear, so are very hard to see - in Oz they are rampant in the north between November to March. They love dirty sea water and there is plenty of that in LOS in rainy season. Wearing any sort of skin cover will prevent a sting and pantyhose or a wetsuit are the preferred things for surfers, plus surf shirt and hood. I wouldn't be game to wear pantyhose in LOS though - might attract a nice ladyboy ! 'Blue bottles' - also known as Portuguese man-o-war, can be nasty too, as there is a stinger (nematode) every 5mm and their tentacles are metres long, but are really only a threat to those who suffer allergies, as they can affect your ability to breathe if you are stung enough or, are stung in the airway. These and ordinary common jellyfish just hurt like hell - I usually just rub a beer or two on them, internally. Use vinegar or a product called "Stingose" (aluminium hydroxide) on the sting. I'm 70, so I'm more worried about sharks, especially the common female land-shark that is prevalent in LOS. You'd be better off asking Mr NCC about them though.

• Like 2

Years ago on Kata beach there were a lovely retired Lufthansa couple who got so fed up of being stung, they bought dive suits to swim in. Everyone laughed but they were the only ones who never got stung.

• Like 1

There are over 2000 varieties of jellyfish and, like sharks, they inhabit every marine environment on earth. The vast majority are harmless to man, some can cause painful stings, but only one or two varieties can cause death. 

Jellyfish do kill more people than sharks, but you are still much more likely to die driving to the beach.

If you have a genuine fear of becoming one of their very rare victims, don't go into the ocean, and keep off Thai roads to ensure you have a chance of getting through the day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Jellyfish do kill more people than sharks, but you are still much more likely to die driving to the beach.

If you have a genuine fear of becoming one of their very rare victims, don't go into the ocean, and keep off Thai roads to ensure you have a chance of getting through the day.

It's not about death, although jellyfish can kill. They can vary from minor burns, deaths and a whole host of stuff inbetween. Amputations, permanent nerve damage, partial paralysis etc.

Because people are ruining turtle habitat (turtles eat baby jellyfish and control the population). It exacerbates the problems.

Most people in the west can afford 1x2 week holiday a year. They have to organise the trip over a long 3 month period. Last thing you want to do is end up in hospital for a week out of your holiday. Maybe it's not a big issue for an expat whose 25 whose living there long term - a week in hospital is no big deal. With a family which a young child who might get far worse affects it's a much bigger deal.

was swimming yesterday and was "stung" a few times  it just itches for 5 minutes or so

walking on the beach, saw a few washed up... Jelly fish to me....:-)

Their in the water every year

4 hours ago, noiceonemate said:

It's not about death, although jellyfish can kill. They can vary from minor burns, deaths and a whole host of stuff inbetween. Amputations, permanent nerve damage, partial paralysis etc.

Because people are ruining turtle habitat (turtles eat baby jellyfish and control the population). It exacerbates the problems.

Most people in the west can afford 1x2 week holiday a year. They have to organise the trip over a long 3 month period. Last thing you want to do is end up in hospital for a week out of your holiday. Maybe it's not a big issue for an expat whose 25 whose living there long term - a week in hospital is no big deal. With a family which a young child who might get far worse affects it's a much bigger deal.

Just stay home mate. There's hundreds of things more likely to hospitalise you or your family in this big bad world.

or, perhaps you could swim here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McO9tP0uy3s

OP I understand your concerns about jellyfish, specially with a toddler, it's good to ask and get more info...

Phuket beaches in low season have more of these nasties than high season, but I was stung in Apr, and my friend in Jan so no hard rule. But generally speaking here it's better than some other places in Thailand, Hua Hin is worse and in Ao Nang near Krabi this March I saw guys on tail boats were fishing for jellyfish, they told me they get paid 80b for a kilo now, so not bad work for covid season..., when dingy sailing there sometimes, the rudder hits one every few minutes ! 

Now back to Phuket, its rare people get stung,  but extremely rare by a really bad / dangerous one, as far as I know. So no need to worry about that, usually it's just a few hours of burning and red skin for a a week or two.

Check the beach first, when in water look around a bit and see if any of them floating around, then get out, also wetsuits helps a lot, maybe for toddler if you really worried.

Apply vinegar right away, all lifeguards have it, 2 or 3 times every 15min, and never eat seafood for a couple of days after being stung...

I'm in water every other day here, visit various beaches , so it's really not bad...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I'd also worry about the rip current or undertow. I once upon a time swam in one down at Karon and had a 45 minute escapade getting back in. Taught me a real lesson.

Karon is the only really bad one on this island, I  swim every other day on various beaches,  but never ever in Karon, last time was maybe 10 years ago and I could feel the rip after a minute...

They should just ban swimming there in low season and done with it, much safer, avoid...

Just now, Agusts said:

Karon is the only really bad one on this island, I  swim every other day on various beaches,  but never ever in Karon, last time was maybe 10 years ago and I could feel the rip after a minute...

They should just ban swimming there in low season and done with it, much safer, avoid...

Been about 18 years for me and as I was and am still a real strong swimmer I will never swim there again. Easily can see how people go in but never make it out.

• Like 1

The OP is not actually planning a visit to Phuket he was just wondering what could of happened when he visited years ago! 

Jellyfish have been discussed on this local forum many times, all he had to do was a little research.

He's just another anti Phuket troll.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:50 PM, Old Croc said:

The OP is not actually planning a visit to Phuket he was just wondering what could of happened when he visited years ago! 

Jellyfish have been discussed on this local forum many times, all he had to do was a little research.

He's just another anti Phuket troll.

This is your third antagonistic post aimed at me on the same thread.

Why don't you just move on and find something better to do with your time.

I am planning a holiday, and looking at my options.

I tried to ignore your posts, and you didn't get the hint and now your inferring my intentions and telling other people to not post or reply to me because I'm supposedly trolly. Who is the real troll here, just read the thread back?

The site search does not work well. I learned after the pimsleur thread that you're supposed to google phuket site:thaivisa.com. As you can see from my post count I'm new here, so I don't know that.

2 hours ago, noiceonemate said:

I tried to ignore your posts, and you didn't get the hint and now your inferring my intentions and telling other people to not post or reply to me because I'm supposedly trolly. Who is the real troll here, just read the thread back?

The site search does not work well. I learned after the pimsleur thread that you're supposed to google phuket site:thaivisa.com. As you can see from my post count I'm new here, so I don't know that.

Read your opening post again and point out where you said you were planning a holiday and not just wondering about what terrible things could have happened 2 years ago.

Phuket Province has an economy based almost entirely on tourism, which is currently defunct. The wife's DIL, along with all other staff, have just been asked to hand back their uniforms by the large Resort she works for. An indication the place will not be opening again. Apparently they have no bookings even into next year. The son's future with another large complex is also in doubt. We will probably be supporting them and their 2yo until they again find regular work. This downturn is affecting thousands in Phuket.

The last thing needed on social media is a Frightened Freddy inventing stories about killer jellyfish lurking behind every wave on the tourist beaches.  It stinks of someone with an agenda to scare others of his ilk away from returning. 

Why don't you move on,  plan your holiday, if that is a factual statement, and don't start scare campaigns aimed at a place you are too frightened to visit.

10 hours ago, noiceonemate said:

Glad to hear you're planning on coming this direction. But not replying to someone's posts and trying to see that as 'ignoring because I disagree' will never work, "I tried to ignore your posts, and you didn't get the hint".

On 6/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, Aussiepeter said:

the government in LOS has never to my knowledge ever put up signs warning about box jellyfish,

On 6/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, Aussiepeter said:

(or any other thing for that matter)

BS

AE074531-5B73-41E6-890F-B742698A57C1.jpeg

3AE4A995-002C-499F-A6C0-C49AD03FFAA3.jpeg

6D8E3947-3C51-44B4-BD1E-8164C1C094F4.jpeg

396E0E8A-57E3-4440-A9CF-0E592478B8EB.jpeg

6FC87771-FC64-4241-A98D-2C3579886FC9.jpeg

82F54B6A-1677-4324-9979-EC4C7BBB388C.jpeg

• Like 1