Record spikes in new coronavirus cases, hospitalizations sweep parts of U.S.

webfact

1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

Obviously, DeSantis is observing data you probably don't want to see. For example:

Florida mortality rate: 3.7%

New York mortality rate: 7.8%

Florida infection rate: 0.37%

New York infection rate: 2.0%

Florida death count is over 90% less than New York, despite having a 10% higher population.

Obviously, Florida is doing a better job with the virus than New York. And obviously, the governor is weighing the potential number of deaths against the damage to everyone via a tanking economy. No offense, but given who you think is doing a good job, I think I'll go with the governor's plan. Now, if you have some facts and data to present that would change a rational person's mind, let's see it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-york-coronavirus-cases.html

As any epidemiologist would tell you, New York City is the most densely populated area in all of the United States. So naturally it's rates are higher. But with greater understanding of how the virus is transmitted, New York has drastically reduced the rate of transmission. Florida on the other hand is now experiencing a dramatic rise in rates. What's Florida's excuse? And keep in mind that deaths usually spike about three weeks after symptoms of Covid appear. So Florida is in quite a bout of deaths. Also, all those old white people who voted for Trump last time, aren't so pleased about being offered up for sacrifice for the sake of the economy. The polls show them deserting Trump in droves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trump has record high support from Republicans:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/476978-trump-support-among-republicans-reaches-all-time-high-in-poll

Biden suffers from a HUGE enthusiasm gap (emphasis added for your convenience):

"Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-consolidates-support-trails-badly-enthusiasm-poll/story?id=69812092

Now that you've taken a stroll down memory lane, let's see what a much more recent poll says about Trump's support among Republicans.

Poll: Democrats, Independents, GOP All Turning on Trump Amid Coronavirus, Protests

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-06-10/trumps-poll-numbers-plummet-across-the-political-spectrum-amid-coronavirus-protests

Gallup reports a 9% drop in Republican support.

Obviously, Florida is doing a better job with the virus than New York. And obviously, the governor is weighing the potential number of deaths against the damage to everyone via a tanking economy. No offense, but given who you think is doing a good job, I think I'll go with the governor's plan. Now, if you have some facts and data to present that would change a rational person's mind, let's see it.

There are 2 climbers. One starts off at the bottom of Doi Saket. The other starts off at the base camp of Mt. Everest. The Doi Saket climber gets to the summit first. Therefore, by your kind of reasoning, the Doi Saket climber is the better alpinist. 

ANd foot doctors are far superior to neurosurgeons because they almost never have a patient die on them.

Edited by johnpetersen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Trump has record high support from Republicans:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/476978-trump-support-among-republicans-reaches-all-time-high-in-poll

Biden suffers from a HUGE enthusiasm gap (emphasis added for your convenience):

"Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-consolidates-support-trails-badly-enthusiasm-poll/story?id=69812092

The date of these articles:

The Hill: January 6 2020

ABC News: March 28 2020

Come on Alex...show a little effort, you are just teeing them up here to be knocked out of the park.....it is like you are pitching MAGA Bashing batting practice. 

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai

2 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

As any epidemiologist would tell you, New York City is the most densely populated area in all of the United States. So naturally it's rates are higher. But with greater understanding of how the virus is transmitted, New York has drastically reduced the rate of transmission. Florida on the other hand is now experiencing a dramatic rise in rates. What's Florida's excuse? And keep in mind that deaths usually spike about three weeks after symptoms of Covid appear. So Florida is in quite a bout of deaths. Also, all those old white people who voted for Trump last time, aren't so pleased about being offered up for sacrifice for the sake of the economy. The polls show them deserting Trump in droves.

Nice speech. What you're really telling me is that despite New York sucks at dealing with the virus. Obviously, they've known for decades the challenges of dealing with a dense population. Yet, the morons there did really stupid stuff like keeping the subway open and telling people to go out and party on March 13.

Now as to Florida: their numbers will continue to be far better than New York's. Then of course you have another problem. The shutdowns were implemented for the purpose of not overwhelming hospitals. That is no longer an issue. Now it's purely a balancing act of saving lives versus saving the economy. Stay home off you're scared.

Oh and as for polls: October 26, 2016: Hillary Clinton led by 14 points.

https://time.com/4546942/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-lead-poll/

So you really think rational people are going to worry about polls? Think again.

Just now, Tie Dye Samurai said:

The date of these articles:

The Hill: January 6 2020

ABC News: March 28 2020

Come on Alex...show a little effort, you are just teeing them up here.. 

Yes, I'm sure enthusiasm for Joe Biden has increased dramatically since March. LOL

2 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

There are 2 climbers. One starts off at the bottom of Doi Saket. The other starts off at the base camp of Mt. Everest. The Doi Saket climber gets to the summit first. Therefore, by your kind of reasoning, the Doi Saket climber is the better alpinist. 

ANd foot doctors are far superior to neurosurgeons because they almost never have a patient die on them.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with REALITY versus your fairy tale.

The reality. is that the conditions in New York are not the same as the conditions anywhere else in the USA.

40 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yes, I'm sure enthusiasm for Joe Biden has increased dramatically since March. LOL

As sure as you are that Republican enthusiasm for Trump is at a record level?

40 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Thanks, I think I'll stick with REALITY versus your fairy tale.

I was just trying to make things simple for you. The fact is that New York City is the most densely populated portion of the United States. Or maybe you think Montana should be congratulated for its low incidence of coronavirus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, johnpetersen said:

I was just trying to make things simple for you. The fact is that New York City is the most densely populated portion of the United States. Or maybe you think Montana should be congratulated for its low incidence of coronavirus.

No need to make things simple. I am perfectly capable of acquiring and analyzing data. And given you have been reduced to bringing up Montana, clearly I can assume you have no effective rebuttal of the facts and data I have presented you. I will leave it to you to post your thoughts on Montana.

6 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

The reality. is that the conditions in New York are not the same as the conditions anywhere else in the USA.

Yes, I agree that things are far, far worse in New York than most other states in the US. Kudos.

53 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Nice speech. What you're really telling me is that despite New York sucks at dealing with the virus. Obviously, they've known for decades the challenges of dealing with a dense population. Yet, the morons there did really stupid stuff like keeping the subway open and telling people to go out and party on March 13.

Now as to Florida: their numbers will continue to be far better than New York's. Then of course you have another problem. The shutdowns were implemented for the purpose of not overwhelming hospitals. That is no longer an issue. Now it's purely a balancing act of saving lives versus saving the economy. Stay home off you're scared.

Oh and as for polls: October 26, 2016: Hillary Clinton led by 14 points.

https://time.com/4546942/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-lead-poll/

So you really think rational people are going to worry about polls? Think again.

What rational people do not do  is not cherry pick one oulier poll and generalize it. Here is a running average from real clear politics of the state of the polls:

image.png.f6430ce8279ca059c5f968b2338e4968.png

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

10 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yes, I agree that things are far, far worse in New York than most other states in the US. Kudos.

Not to acknowledge that population density is a crucial factor in rate of transmission in a pandemic means that you must believe that viruses and bacteria are transmitted how? By mail?

1 hour ago, johnpetersen said:

What rational people do not do  is not cherry pick one oulier poll and generalize it. Here is a running average from real clear politics of the state of the polls:

image.png.f6430ce8279ca059c5f968b2338e4968.png

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Thanks for showing that despite Hillary Clinton consistently leading in polls, she still lost to Donald Trump. Well done!

1 hour ago, johnpetersen said:

Not to acknowledge that population density is a crucial factor in rate of transmission in a pandemic means that you must believe that viruses and bacteria are transmitted how? By mail?

I acknowledge population density is a significant factor in how a virus spreads. It is up to governments in such areas to deal with that. Obviously, De Blasio and Cuomo have failed miserably. Do you think the families of over 30,000 dead people in New York are saying anything like, "gee, it's OK my _____________ is dead. New York is a densely populated area. It's OK De Blasio told everyone to party at bars on March 13. It's OK they never shut down the subway system!"

Let's keep it real, shall we?

As Fauci recently said, the USA is obviously still in the first wave, not the second wave. 

Infections are obviously at different stages in different parts of the country. Just as Latin America had almost no cases while Europe was ravaged. In the U.S. the shift now is more with the sunbelt so called red states rather the blue states. The virus cares not about any borders, certainly not state borders, and certainly not about partisan politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/17/coronavirus-has-come-trump-country/

Coronavirus has come to Trump country

After being centered in blue states, cases are now being added faster in red ones

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Most deaths have been in states run by Democrats. You know, "An Inconvenient Truth".

Most deaths have been in states with large, densely packed cities and lots of international travel.  You know, the way infections spread.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Your sources show a dramatic rise in new infections in Florida and a dramatic fall in New York.  Thank you for making my point.

I'm glad you're happy, though your point is minute.

Like Governor DeSantis and other rational people, I'll focus on the big picture.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Most deaths have been in states with large, densely packed cities and lots of international travel.  You know, the way infections spread.

Yes, because there are no densely packed cities in Texas or Florida, nor lots of international travel. Sorry, but the fact remains the states hardest hit by the virus are run by Democrats. There is no amount of spin you can apply to change this simple reality.

Yes, because there are no densely packed cities in Texas or Florida, nor lots of international travel. Sorry, but the fact remains the states hardest hit by the virus are run by Democrats. There is no amount of spin you can apply to change this simple reality.

One the main key factors is population density.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

• Like 1

There are certainly no cities as densely packed as New York in Florida and Texas.

Trump Rally in Tulsa and those that were actually "brave" (yeah lets go with that adjective) enough to show up for it (USA Today and The Oklahoman) and the Oklahoma State Department of Health Covid 19 curve for new cases. Look at all those masks being worn...sure, lets have four more years of these decisions.

902334cf-f2a0-4ec3-a4f6-9123ec4a8f16-Trump_Tulsa_1.jpg

2020-06-22 01_59_52-Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) _ Tulsa Health Department.jpg

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 5:29 AM, candide said:

Another one is international airports. These were a huge factor in the spread of Covid. NYC metropolitan area has 3. And the strains of coronavirus that infected NY overwhelmingly came from Europe. After President Trump shut down flights from China, he waited another 40 days to shut down flights from continental Europe. And another 4 to shut down flights from the UK and Ireland. Clearly his motive for shutting down air travel with China had nothing to do with public health issues. And because of his delay with regard to European travel, was ineffective in curtailing the spread of Covid.

Edited by johnpetersen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2020 at 4:14 AM, Crazy Alex said:

And the fact remains that these states have a lot more information now on what to and what not to do and still adopted a program of denial until now when the facts prove too overwhelming to contest. The governors of Texas, Arizona, and Florida have now confessed that the rise in the covid infections is real and not the merely a statistical artifact due to more testing.

Edited by johnpetersen