Raids on gold shops uncover Bt200bn money laundering operation

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Absolutely agree with you. I've never seen one, not one, customer in any of the hi-so designer bag/watch/pen/clothes shops. With the huge rents they pay they must lose a fortune. But they probably have 'influential' owners or 'private' customers who have to hide their 'unusual wealth'.

I think you missed the point of Jsixpack's  Big Star's post Barry

• Like 1

It is a very good bust as laundering is hard to find due to no is stealing .

Gold shops must be a favourite as so much gold gets melted down again after repurchase.

Phantom customers in tailor shops must be another 

Someone must have squeeled 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Three-hundred suspects have so far been arrested while another 100 are being sought.

Shop managers arrested or the actual owners who are behind the scenes?

Influential people will be protected as usual, 200 billion is a lot of money movement and will have a lot of protection built into the scam.

The ones that got arrested will be very worried I imagine.They let the cat out of the bag and now it is over for many.the big bosses will not be happy and many will be walking on egg shells forever.how long was this going on for,and all the people receiving little evenlopes  are now over.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Money laundering, So thats how its done, Went on Lazarda the other night, but was unable to use Lazarda Wallet, REASON, Thai Government has banned Foreigners (not Thais) saying to prevent money laundering, was only spending 845 baht,

I pay Lazada always COD, that's no problem??

Thai logic?

11 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

how can we be sure that the 70 million confiscated was all that was found.

You're an anonymous poster on an anonymous forum so whether you (as in "we") are sure, or suspicious, is completely irrelevant, no authority is obliged to answer to you (us).

Edited by Bob A Kneale

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Absolutely agree with you. I've never seen one, not one, customer in any of the hi-so designer bag/watch/pen/clothes shops. With the huge rents they pay they must lose a fortune.

How many hours every day do you spend staking them out?

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Absolutely agree with you. I've never seen one, not one, customer in any of the hi-so designer bag/watch/pen/clothes shops. With the huge rents they pay they must lose a fortune.

You're often trying to pick arguments with me and others, so it's best that I ignore you from here on in.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pattjock said:

From what I have seen before here on Thai visa many of the gold shops are owned by police officers and the security guards there are off duty police officers.

If that is the case they use the crackdown to get rid of the competition.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:
8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're often trying to pick arguments with me and others, so it's best that I ignore you from here on in.

I wasn't picking an argument, I was just asking a question based on your assertion. I thought you may have had some stats in order to reach the conclusion that "all those hiso shops must lose fortunes" just because of the odd occasion that you've never seen customers.

• Confused 1

On 6/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

70 million is a long way off 200 billion.

True. Seize only half of those Bt200bn, and a good chunk of Covid-19 measures can be paid with it. But I doubt that it will happen. - Wonder how many cops are involved in the drug trade or money-laundering...

11 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:
22 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

how can we be sure that the 70 million confiscated was all that was found.

You're an anonymous poster on an anonymous forum so whether you (as in "we") are sure, or suspicious, is completely irrelevant, no authority is obliged to answer to you (us).

Thanks and I take your point Bob. However, most Thai people that I talk to know (or say they know) how things work with the police, and the authorities here don't seem to think they are obliged to answer to anyone... even (or perhaps especially) their own people.

Not just gold shops... thousands of crocodile handbags and shoe shops, thousands of spectacle shops selling Gucci & Ray ban sun specs. You never see the locals carrying or wearing any of it....all I ever saw was half a dozen bored employees sitting inside with the Air Con running full blast. These premises are in every town and city throughout the land.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, Bob A Kneale said:
On 6/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, car720 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when everyone must use digital money.

None of us will be around to see that!

China has already started trials in select cities and other nations are scrambling to catch up. I would wager a bet that you will be using digital money before the year is up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1