Ten Reasons to Quit Smoking

Samui Bodoh

21 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I expect some members to come along and share their experiences; it is great advice.

Good topic and post, and wish you luck in getting them to drink the water so to speak, the old saying, you can lead them to water, but can't force them to drink it.

I too was a smoker for around 27 years, quite cold turkey when I was 40, yes started young, and I did quite for about 2 years earlier at one stage.

Being off the smokes for 20 years has been great, albeit it I had a heart attack 7 years later, yes the arteries do get clogged, however survived the event and live a healthy life 12 years on.

The above said, I wasn't overweight, my cholesterol wasn't high, nor was my blood pressure, and I was eating healthy, there is history in the family with my father and all of his brothers passing in their 70's from heart attacks, but at 47, a heart attack, call it stress and over exerting oneself if you like, but you can't disagree that smoking causes the arteries to narrow.

For the little advice that I can offer for anyone who is attempting to and or has stopped smoking, maybe look at taking an Aspirin a day to thin your blood so that you don't end up with a clot in your artery and have a heart attack as I did due to narrowing of the arteries, but not before you discuss that with your doctor.

???? No Smoking Sticker GIF | Gfycat

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there also a list why people should continue smoking, or at least don't feel bad about it?

I never smoked in my life but I had and have friends who smoke(d) - and some who quit. I lived in the apartment of one guy for a month and he smoked 4 packs a day. Did I like it? No, but soon I didn't care. Basically I didn't notice it anymore.

When I was young I had probably more friends who smoked compared to non-smokers. I traveled in the smoking section of a regular train as a non-smoker because most fun guys were smokers. The non-smoking section was boring.

Obviously if anybody wants to quit smoking go ahead and do that. But at least IMHO if you want to continue smoking then that is fine. Do it if you like it and don't think you have to quit. You don't have to! People who smoke get cancer and people who don't smoke get cancer and we all die.

Last but not least here is a wonderful quote from one of Stephen Leather's books:

Nightingale blew smoke up at the sky. ‘Everybody dies,’ he said. ‘Life is a zero sum game. The best you can do is to enjoy yourself as you go along.’
‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?’

Two points;

1. This is the " Stop Smoking Forum" which states "Our objective is to help as many smokers as possible to become non smokers." (as per tvf)

2. There are no good reasons to smoke. None.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Two points;

1. This is the " Stop Smoking Forum" which states "Our objective is to help as many smokers as possible to become non smokers." (as per tvf)

Ok

And why does not everybody stop smoking if there is absolutely no reason to smoke?

And there are even people in this world who start smoking. Why do they do that?

It's not that I want to disencourage anybody who wants to stop. But I think it's only fair to look why lots of people still continue smoking. They wouldn't do that if there wouldn't be any reason.

So even in a Stop Smoking Forum should everybody pretend these reasons don't exist? Or does it make sense to face reality?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

I was admitted to hospital in February this year with pnuemonia. It was made worse because I also suffer from COPD.  I made a decision on my second day of ventlation that after being a smoker for 50 + years, I really needed to stop.

So far I have not been near a ciggy (or smoker) and can honestly say I cannot understand how easy it is to go without.

My health has improved noticably over the last four+ months.

If I can give up YOU can too!!

I did the same ten years ago after smoking 40 a day for over thirty years. I went to bed at 10.30 one Friday night and stubbed out my last cigarette and told myself that's it, amazingly I've never wanted one since and never even thought about smoking again, I have been amazed at myself to be honest.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 1:50 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok

And why does not everybody stop smoking if there is absolutely no reason to smoke?

And there are even people in this world who start smoking. Why do they do that?

It's not that I want to disencourage anybody who wants to stop. But I think it's only fair to look why lots of people still continue smoking. They wouldn't do that if there wouldn't be any reason.

So even in a Stop Smoking Forum should everybody pretend these reasons don't exist? Or does it make sense to face reality?

He said 'good reasons', there are many bad reasons.

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I couldn't care less whether people smoke or not, but that's the weakest argument for continuing to smoke that I've ever read. Must try harder!

It's not an Argument It' a Choice that one makes . It's mind over matter .

If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

I smoke 10 cigarettes a day, sometimes 15. If I drink beer it is up to 20.

I haven't smoked and drunk for the last 15 days and do not have any issues except one and that is, I like to smoke. I don't think I am nicotine addicted due to no cold turkey etc. However, I think I am mentally addicted. Smoking is a ritual to me. For example, when I need to focus to something very deeply, studying something then I enjoy my coffee and cigarette slowly.

Not sure how can I get rid of this mental addiction.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Two points;

4 packs a day by your mate !   Never heard of passive smoking then. It has been said to be worse than the real thing. Thats why it is illegal to be smoking in a car with kids in it in oz !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just a weakness of will, two packs a day man. I give up things when it hurts, like alcohol, I know nowadays it will take at least a month to get over one splurge, so I'm pretty circumspect where that's concerned. As for smoking, yeah, when my lungs start hurting I give up. One year is my best attempt.  To be honest, whenever I go to Bangkok, I get some kind of throat infection. Yeah, 40 a day man, defeated by Bangkok's pollution. 

I think you need to recognize that it is not the nicotine that is getting you high. It is the addiction. It is the same with all drugs. You are addicted so when you get your fix or hit you feel high. The withdraws from nicotine makes you feel bad, so the drug relieves that feeling so there is the high. No real high from the nicotine. Addicts are addicted to the feeling of agitation when you don't have the drug too.

With e-cigarettes and nicotine patches it shouldn't be too hard to quit actually smoking. The would be the first step. I've heard baclofen might work for nicotine addiction, not sure.

As a non smoker i have great respect for those who stop. The ones i have no respect for are those who gave up only to become Arm Wafting Bores. We have 2 gave up lecturers in our social circle and and its always me that reminds them STF UP, non of us have smoked. So congrats to those who gave up, but dont spoil it being a self righteous bore, it puts those  trying to give up more anxiety :coffee1:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

#11 on the OP's list was the clincher for me, more than 15 years ago. I just wanted to take back control of my life. I gave up alcohol 3 years ago. Call me a masochist if you like! The things I miss most about a beer are 1 the taste and 2 the late afternoon unwind. But confidence, a clear head and a big saving of pound notes amongst other things, are decent trade offs.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:30 AM, Huckenfell said:

4 packs a day by your mate !   Never heard of passive smoking then. It has been said to be worse than the real thing. Thats why it is illegal to be smoking in a car with kids in it in oz !

Then again, there are some doctors who say that the risks of passive-smoking are negligible.

• Like 1

You make a powerful and superb case to stop smoking. All those reasons are so pertinent.

I started smoking when I was about 8 or 9 in the late sixties. I continued until I was 38 then quit cold turkey. Despite being a person of extremely high determination I was very proud of that and, after a decent spell of time, felt I was free from the addiction for ever.

The main reason I am writing is that this proved not to be the case.

Some ten years later I dabbled believing one or two would not be a problem. Then I took to having shisha and developed such a habit (it was still legal in Thailand) that I addicted myself to that and then back onto cigarettes. In 2012 on Valentines Day a teacher colleague remarked "You're hooked again". He was right. I felt such shame that I put out the last in the pack and told him I would never have another again.

I haven't, but I will no longer say I am "cured". Rather like recovering alcoholics I think it is safer to say "I am a smoker" - just that I haven't had one for nearly eight and a half years!

Beware going back and undoing all the good work. Quitting smoking for good is extremely hard and one must never let one's guard down. 

Rooster

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

You make a powerful and superb case to stop smoking. All those reasons are so pertinent.

I started smoking when I was about 8 or 9 in the late sixties. I continued until I was 38 then quit cold turkey. Despite being a person of extremely high determination I was very proud of that and, after a decent spell of time, felt I was free from the addiction for ever.

The main reason I am writing is that this proved not to be the case.

Some ten years later I dabbled believing one or two would not be a problem. Then I took to having shisha and developed such a habit (it was still legal in Thailand) that I addicted myself to that and then back onto cigarettes. In 2012 on Valentines Day a teacher colleague remarked "You're hooked again". He was right. I felt such shame that I put out the last in the pack and told him I would never have another again.

I haven't, but I will no longer say I am "cured". Rather like recovering alcoholics I think it is safer to say "I am a smoker" - just that I haven't had one for nearly eight and a half years!

Beware going back and undoing all the good work. Quitting smoking for good is extremely hard and one must never let one's guard down. 

Rooster

Interesting what you say about the shisha. I've known guys who gave up cigarettes but started smoking cigars instead, even one or two a day, and went on as if they'd given up smoking?

I think addiction is always with us, and as you say it is a constant battle.

I'm currently on week 6 of not smoking. The big incentive was moving back to the UK from Thailand, cigarettes are 6 times more expensive here.

• Like 1

I smoke just to irritate the minority of anti smokers who surrounding me.

What other lifestyle choices do you want to eradicate?

Personally I hate golf. Its stupid. The hole is over twice the size of the ball. Its not like there's a goalkeeper and 10 other players trying to keep it out. How do you miss with the first shot?

The land courses are on could be used for far better purposes.

Golfers stand around in pubs talking about golf. Constantly. They even take imaginary swings while in the pub.

They are annoying.

Lets ban golf.

Then I will stop smoking. 

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, MrBanks said:

For instance, I used to fly long distance (10 to 12 hour flights once or twice a month), in my case not being able to smoke on a plane was torture. In fact I once arrived in Los Angeles and on the way to baggage I lit up, the airport was non smoking, I din't care, I needed that cigarette. Security came and told me to put it out, I would not listen, cops were called, I was nearly arrested. I didn't care, I needed that damned fag!

Pre-covid I fly often.

I smoke atleast 40 a day but can go a long distance flight no issue.

40 a day seems a lot but am awake at minimum 20hrs a day so is a ciggie every 30 mins really excessive ?

I started smoking behind the bike sheds in school ,continued when i went to live in the big city ,started smoking weed ,did that for afew years as well ,then one day i though how expensive fags were ,cant really remember but about 3 shillings a pack ,stopped and never smoked again .it was easy .

On 6/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I never smoked in my life but I had and have friends who smoke(d) - and some who quit. I lived in the apartment of one guy for a month and he smoked 4 packs a day. Did I like it? No, but soon I didn't care. Basically I didn't notice it anymore.

dude you smoked 4 packs a day for a month. haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Does my smokers breath stink through a mask?

Yes.

Your mask stinks.

Your breath stinks.

Your hair and hands reek.

Your clothes reek.

You leave a foul and smelly miasma where ever you go.

I was 'aware' of the odor a bit when I was a smoker, but I really, really noticed it after I quit.

Apologies, but someone had to tell you.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Interesting what you say about the shisha. I've known guys who gave up cigarettes but started smoking cigars instead, even one or two a day, and went on as if they'd given up smoking?

I think addiction is always with us, and as you say it is a constant battle.

I'm currently on week 6 of not smoking. The big incentive was moving back to the UK from Thailand, cigarettes are 6 times more expensive here.

First of all, the very best of luck to you, @Andrew65!

When you are having a bad day (and you get them...), come back to this forum for some support. Would I have quit without the Stop Smoking Forum? Yes. Was it easier with the support of members? Yes. 

You mention money/costs as a means to help; money played a role in helping me as well. My office is in my bedroom (one air conditioner at my house) and this was where I spent a lot of time. I put a clear plastic jar on my desk and ceremonially put in the cost of what I would have smoked that day as a 'replacement ceremony'. At the time, I was smoking 2 packs a day and they cost 174 Baht, so rather than light up my first smoke of the day, I put one 100 baht note, one 50 baht note, one 20 baht note and four 1 baht coins into the jar. The first day didn't mean much, but after a week it was tangible, visual evidence and was always a help. I don't know if that will help you, but it helped me loads.

Cheers and good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there also a list why people should continue smoking, or at least don't feel bad about it?

When I was young I had probably more friends who smoked compared to non-smokers. I traveled in the smoking section of a regular train as a non-smoker because most fun guys were smokers. The non-smoking section was boring.

Obviously if anybody wants to quit smoking go ahead and do that. But at least IMHO if you want to continue smoking then that is fine. Do it if you like it and don't think you have to quit. You don't have to! People who smoke get cancer and people who don't smoke get cancer and we all die.

Last but not least here is a wonderful quote from one of Stephen Leather's books:

Nightingale blew smoke up at the sky. ‘Everybody dies,’ he said. ‘Life is a zero sum game. The best you can do is to enjoy yourself as you go along.’
‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?’

Not only that ,They say you may Die 10 yrs earlier.

Isn't that Great,  How much would it cost to live for the 10 yrs? 

Dying say 5 yrs earlier , Look how much money you wouldn't have to Spend on Living .

And you don't have to put up with people winging.    ????

• Haha 1