TM 30 - new rules from June 30

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It's good that they got rid of this ridiculous requirement, for now.

But rest assured, when tourism picks up and classic Thai hubris returns, jobsworths in uniforms across the country will want this back on the table.

Hope not. That would really slow down the economic recovery and dampen investor confidence. That being said, Hun Sen is using the current period to implement his new foreigner registration app, which is about to become a mandatory requirement for visa extensions. Now bear in mind this plan would have gone ahead anyway, as it was announced over a year ago, before anyone ever heard of covid-19. Therefore, if a poor country like Cambodia can do it, it stands to reason that Thailand may, once this crisis is over, re-introduce it as you say. Then again, given the outcry last year, maybe not. Why would you re-introduce something 2 years after a huge public outcry only to be criticized yet again? I thought Thais were incredibly face conscious.

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just received a translation of the new regulation titled.

"Regulations of the Royal Thai Police regarding the reporting by host, owner or possessor of the premise or manager of hotels that registering the alien with a permission of temporary stay in the Kingdom."

It states that those on multiple entry visas or those entering with a re-entry permit need a TM30 report when they first arrive at a residence or move to another one.

Those on single entry visas or visa extemp will still need to be reported every time they enter the country or stay in hotel and etc.

Hi Joe,

Can you please share that translation on the Forum or PM it to me?

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, samtam said:

1 - I must have missed anything in this thread regarding condo owner...has the new order recinded the need for a condo owner to file a TM.30 every time he leaves or enters his condo from internally or externally, providing one is returning to the same condo?

2 - Grateful if you can clarify, if you know. Also are these new regulations applicable to Chaengwattana office in Bangkok? When I did my EoS in April I gave a print out of my TM.30 (filed in December 2019), and it was taken, along with the other forest of papers, but no comment was made about it. 

1 - According to thai law, the 'owner' of a property is required to file a TM30 within 24 hours of a foreigner arriving at the property.

The property can be a hotel, guesthouse, rental condo, friend's house, own place, etc.

So if you - as a foreigner - own the condo where you are staying, you need to file a TM30 as owner of the property that you arrived with 24 hours of arrival.

If your wife/girlfriend is the owner of the condo, she needs to file a TM30 of you arriving there within 24 hours of your arrival.  But using the IO TM30 website you can do the filing 'on her behalf'.

If you are renting a condo, it is the landlord that has to file a TM30 of you arriving there.  But as that is both inconvenient for him and yourself, you can also register on the IO TM30 website as 'tenant', allowing you to file the required TM30s yourself.

2 - Since a couple of months, when applying for an extension of stay, CW does not require you anymore to show that the 'owner of the place where you are staying' (which can be yourself, wife/girlfriend or landlord) has filed a TM30 of you staying there.

Enforcement of this TM30 filing varies depending on the IO where you apply.  Some IOs still require that a TM30 is filed every time after you return from a trip (be it in country or abroad), others only require it when returning from a trip abroad, and some - like CW - do not seem to care about TM30 anymore (except when using it for change of address).

>> I will PM you an updated step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website, which will allow you to subsequently file your TM30s.  Registering and filing your very first TM30 will take approx 1 hour, but filing subsequent TM30s are then a piece of cake and will take max 2 minutes.

Even though I stay in a province that it is 'easy' on TM30 filings, I do them on behalf of my girlfriend (she is the owner of the place where I am staying) so that neither she or myself will be fined if the TM30 pendulum swings again to Full Enforcement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I've lived in the house we own for nearly 30 years. I travel overnight in Thailand rarely. Has anyone else simply ignored filing TM.30?

I have never done one. I have never been asked to do one.

4 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I've lived in the house we own for nearly 30 years. I travel overnight in Thailand rarely. Has anyone else simply ignored filing TM.30?

Which IO?

You must have been lucky not applying for any extension of stay in the TM30 Enforcement period that lasted for approx 6 months after which some IOs relaxed requiring them when applying for an extension of stay.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Which IO?

You must have been lucky not applying for any extension of stay in the TM30 Enforcement period that lasted for approx 6 months after which some IOs relaxed requiring them when applying for an extension of stay.

Up until very recently, i had never done a TM30 and had ever been asked for one.  At one stage, when the enforcement was on, I actually asked if I should submit one (Jomtien) and was told that it was not necessary as I was registered on the Immigration database - same address since 2005.  So, I never did one.

Now, it gets interesting.  Because of some Immigration rule changes I decided to use an agent, this year, to extend my permission to stay.  I was told by the agent that I'd better do a TM30, to avoid possible problems, so I took the better half down to Soi 5 and did the business.  She was promptly fined 1600 Baht for not reporting my presence in our house, back in 2011, which was the last time that I re-entered Thailand.  This seemed grossly unfair as we had been told not to do this.

I protested and the better half was p*ssed off but all to no avail.  Have to pay up and shut up!

It appears that Immigration have at least three databases - the 'main' one, the 90-day one and the TM30 one.  These are not synchronized!   I was listed on two, but not on the TM30 database.

This may also explain why I cannot do a 90-day report online.  My passport was renewed since my last entry so the TM6 doesn't match my new passport number.

What a mess - hardly rocket science to get the various databases to communicate - but less fines to be extorted if they did!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Up until very recently, i had never done a TM30 and had ever been asked for one.  At one stage, when the enforcement was on, I actually asked if I should submit one (Jomtien) and was told that it was not necessary as I was registered on the Immigration database - same address since 2005.  So, I never did one.

Now, it gets interesting.  Because of some Immigration rule changes I decided to use an agent, this year, to extend my permission to stay.  I was told by the agent that I'd better do a TM30, to avoid possible problems, so I took the better half down to Soi 5 and did the business.  She was promptly fined 1600 Baht for not reporting my presence in our house, back in 2011, which was the last time that I re-entered Thailand.  This seemed grossly unfair as we had been told not to do this.

I protested and the better half was p*ssed off but all to no avail.  Have to pay up and shut up!

It appears that Immigration have at least three databases - the 'main' one, the 90-day one and the TM30 one.  These are not synchronized!   I was listed on two, but not on the TM30 database.

This may also explain why I cannot do a 90-day report online.  My passport was renewed since my last entry so the TM6 doesn't match my new passport number.

What a mess - hardly rocket science to get the various databases to communicate - but less fines to be extorted if they did!

Wow, what a bummer, being fined when regularizing your status for something which is presently not enforced anymore at many IOs.

If it can console you > IO has recently changed their 90-day reporting process.  And there are at least 2 reports of applicants that were able to get their on-line 90-day report approved with a new passport (and not having left the country) using the TM-6 arrival/departure card on which they entered the country (using their old passport).  

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Wow, what a bummer, being fined when regularizing your status for something which is presently not enforced anymore at many IOs.

If it can console you > IO has recently changed their 90-day reporting process.  And there are at least 2 reports of applicants that were able to get their on-line 90-day report approved with a new passport (and not having left the country) using the TM-6 arrival/departure card on which they entered the country (using their old passport).  

Thanks for that info.  i might try it as I still have the old passport.

5 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Thanks for that info.  i might try it as I still have the old passport.

FYI > They succeeded using their NEW passport-number and the TM-6 entry/departure card, that they got when entering the country on their old passport.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

FYI > They succeeded using their NEW passport-number and the TM-6 entry/departure card, that they got when entering the country on their old passport.

Already tried that - but not recently.  Just got the 'contact the office' error.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A positive, only if its across the board, and only then will it be a 'positive in my opinion, as negative as you think my post/s have been of late.

Also nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, just depends on whether you expect calling a spade a spade or viewing it as "negativity", e.g. I see things the way they are, others might not want to for their own reasons, and if they want to live that way, all and good for them, but last time I checked this was an open forum, 'negativity' is in one's own mind, difference of opinions, are encouraged, i.e. if your open minded.

You are negative about certain aspects of Thailand. I am negative about certain aspects of Australia.

For example, traffic laws. I see scooters traveling in the side lane everywhere, safely separated from faster traffic. Do that in Australia, you'll get fined for driving in the emergency lane. The traffic authorities must think there's an emergency every 100 metres.

Or take the latest traffic regulation in Victoria. Drive past a parked police car at faster than 40 km/hr, again a fine. If that is not nanny state BS, I don't know what is.

I am wondering how long it will take you to start pining for some of the freedoms you enjoyed in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you are renting a condo, it is the landlord that has to file a TM30 of you arriving there.  But as that is both inconvenient for him and yourself, you can also register on the IO TM30 website as 'tenant', allowing you to file the required TM30s yourself.

Is that possible even if the owner is not in the system? If so, i would be grateful for a PM with instructions to set it up so I can do it myself when I come back to Thailand.

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Has anyone else simply ignored filing TM.30

I didn't know about the TM.30 until last year. I am certain my former landlord did not file it (4 years), and I know that my current landlord hasn't filed it (2 years).

Well all of you are cleverer than me as I tried to show my IO when I was at Kalasin Immigration last week my TM30 on my app un my phone, to show I had reported in from Cambodia.

It just spun around saying it was loading for ages and was completely useless.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I am on Android phone and I have not done anything any different from usual.

It was working in March, the last time I needed it.

25 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Is that possible even if the owner is not in the system? If so, i would be grateful for a PM with instructions to set it up so I can do it myself when I come back to Thailand.

I didn't know about the TM.30 until last year. I am certain my former landlord did not file it (4 years), and I know that my current landlord hasn't filed it (2 years).

>> I have PM-ed you a comprehensive step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website (including the 'tenant' option) and subsequently file your TM30s yourself.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, lothda said:

I just got a rough translation of the info. If you click the link in my post ("this information") you will be taken to a page which has an overview as well as the full police order for this change.

The "new rules" at Chiang Mai immigration have been in effect for years at for example Jomtien immigration and at other offices as well. Chiang Mai immigration has always had rules they came up with themselves. This is not a nationwide change, local offices will always come up with their own rules. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is nationwide. it was issued by the Immigration Bureau.

thanks mate, if you are giving it approval I am happy to accept it, great to know