Pattaya: Yearlong police foot dragging; Brit pensioner, 80 turns to the media after 350K theft by "uni student"

webfact

20 minutes ago, Paiman said:

May be talked about money for certain services, but I hope I am wrong. 

Who knows what I do when I am 80.

Sounds like a job for Hua Hin Declan. He's all about saving fellow older Brits and experienced with go fund me schemes,

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Correct. I have a large balance but the daily limit is 50,000 Baht. Several transfers in a day aren't possible from an ATM. Sounds like a sugar daddy deal gone bad.

My overseas bank ATM card has a limit that translates to about 12,000Tb daily. But I have discovered that it usually only applies to the same bank. If I use 2 different banks ATM one after another I can easily get around that limit. 

A similar thing happened to a British friend over his lady trying to transfer 100,000 Baht out of his British bank account, brought to light by British authorities because it was a British plastic card. The guy still thinks she's really his teelak. He was in hospital at the time, maybe due to poisoning.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

what do you define as an old fart - over 50 60 70 80, how long before you become an "Old Fart"

disrespectful nonsense

some are old at 40.... I feel discriminated ????

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A guess.......80yo was trying to impress the young man showing him how much he had in the bank and inadvertently let him see the pin code, young man couldn't resist and nicked the ATM card and transferred the money, the rest is history. Moral to the story, don't try and impress people by how much money you have

Could be true, but still just a guess. Could also be any of a hundred different (totally innocent) scenarios.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The reality is that the 80 year old will not get his money back, unless the media coverage triggers off donations. Which is a good idea, IMO. As for the Uni student, it's more than likely that he won't be prosecuted because the 80 year old hasn't any money to hire a lawyer - or enough to encourage the police to act.  

And I agree there's more to this story that hasn't been revealed... e.g. a relationship, perhaps? 

or a perceived one..

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Pretty much and I don't think too many of his "fellow Brits" are going to step up and help him replace that much money.

I can image where he's at now though. Maybe broke. Maybe with just a small pension. Probably nothing (and no one) back home so no where to go and couldn't afford to live there if he did go back. 

Not the position I'd want to be in at 80 years old for sure.

unfortunately maybe a case of the little head ruling the big head..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

it is theft and criminal especially since the perp admitted it

arrest him and if he doesn't return the money charge him - simple

It's not that simple in Thailand. Here, they ask the accused to pop into the police station and when he doesn't show up they're stumped about what to do next. And so what happens next is nothing at all.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Yearlong police foot dragging; Brit pensioner, 80 turns to the media after 350K theft by "uni student"

Why didn't the Lazy Cops Pick him up and Locked him up? No bonus in it for them?  ????

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe the young fried of the old guy borrowed his phone to play on it for a minute or two...

Yes, those bank apps give access to anyone who has the phone, don't they?  No passwords are needed to change his limits.  Geez.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One time I had to get 200,000 cash and I called the bank. They told me to use my K-Plus App on my phone. I could easily set the limit to a high value and get all the money I wanted out of the ATM. So much about protection.

Could you do it without using your secure user name and/or password?          

22 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Yes, those bank apps give access to anyone who has the phone, don't they?  No passwords are needed to change his limits.  Geez.

On my bank app a fingerprint does the job. The old guy can sleep while he provides that fingerprint... 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, checkered flag said:

the daily limit is 50,000 Baht. Several transfers in a day aren't possible from an ATM.

Just because that's the arrangement on your account it doesn't mean everyone else has the same restrictions.  Generally, multiple transfers or withdrawals are possible.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

12 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

They should defund the police here. Nobody would even notice if they all just disappeared. They don't seem to actually do any police work whatsoever and are an embarrassment to real police in proper countries.

I don't think the police would care much about that. Their unofficial income is probably a lot more than their official income.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Anyone a day younger than I am is an old fart. 

If they are 2 or more days younger than me, then they are "disrespectful whipper-snappers that should stay off my lawn" !

This is what we would call, - "A cocky little git".

"Flag 8"

9 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

why he got your bankcard and Pin?

Is there not a daily limit on how much you can withdraw or transfer?

More than that - if it happened in July last year what does it have to do with the covid situation? Why did the victim wait till now to report it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Why would I want to help out someone so mentally febrile.

No one is asking you to contribute anything but you're saying that the old boy has a "mental fever"?  What does that mean?

Edited by Bob A Kneale