Sent packing: 14 year stay in Thailand is up for German pensioner on 2,241 day overstay

webfact

And and Afghan, Iraqi or Syrian, etc,  without Passport finds immeditely open doors, housing, healthcare and financial assistance in Germany. There's something wrong, I guess...

• Confused 1

This guy arrived in Thailand 14 years ago when he was in his forties. Presumably he didn't become eligible for retirement extensions until he attained fifty, in or about 2009. He's not yet reached German retirement age so can't yet be in receipt of their generous pension.

He stopped extending his retirement permits in 2014, long before changes regarding evidence of funds or daily reporting became a big thing. It would be nonsensical to blame those changes for his failures to comply back then. 

Why did he stop extending in 2014? A lack of funds would be most likely.

How (or by whom) has he been supported in his years of overstay?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why?  What difference does it make, do you want to support him and other illegals like him?

Why not? Actually, I don't care, but I'm curious to know. If he was minding his own business, then how or why was he caught? As you can appreciate, now is possibly the worst time in history to be caught overstaying given all the border closures and lack of flights.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I could be wrong but I thought the new law stated a fine of 500b for each day overstayed? (and locked up until paid?) This after that "voluntary reporting" / turn yourself in promotion a few years back?  Or is that fee "negotiated" with the BIB?? Lol!!  Info please?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

I could be wrong but I thought the new law stated a fine of 500b for each day overstayed? (and locked up until paid?) This after that "voluntary reporting" / turn yourself in promotion a few years back?  Or is that fee "negotiated" with the BIB?? Lol!!  Info please?

With a maximum fine of 20 000 Baht and everyday you stay in IDC , I think the fine is reduced by 200 Baht

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, drbeach said:
2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why?  What difference does it make, do you want to support him and other illegals like him?

Why not? Actually, I don't care, but I'm curious to know. If he was minding his own business, then how or why was he caught? As you can appreciate, now is possibly the worst time in history to be caught overstaying given all the border closures and lack of flights.

Why not support a 14-year overstayer?  Are you seriously asking that? 

How about because he hasn't bothered to extend his permission to stay for 14 years and we all (presumably) have? 

Edit:  Oops, I mis-read it, a six-year overstayer.   Doesn't change any of my thinking, though, why would anyone support him and give the IB grief?

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

He was obviously just going on about his business, just never took the time to obtain his extensions for the past 5 plus years.

14 years.  Not "5 plus"!

Presumably you're condoning having no extension for 14 years as long as that person is "going about their business"?  Any other laws that you'd support giving the finger to "as long as you're just going about your business"?

2 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

14 years.  Not "5 plus"!

Presumably you're condoning having no extension for 14 years as long as that person is "going about their business"?  Any other laws that you'd support giving the finger to "as long as you're just going about your business"?

RE read the story .

In Thailand for 14 years and overstayed since 2014

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:
1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Can you explain just how you or anyone else is supporting him if he stayed here? 

I'm referring to moral support, obviously.

Presumably they didn't fine him 20,000 baht, they didn't lock him up, and they put him on a flight back to Germany, who paid for that.

I reckon he got a pretty good result.

4 years to wait for a hefty pension in Germany.

He'll be back in no time.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

To all the posters who go on like pork chops every time a long term overstayer gets located, what's your solution?

Give them special dispensation to stay forever, without meeting current visa conditions? Allow them to stay on the basis they got away with it for a long time and aren't hurting anyone?  Scrap visas altogether to allow anyone on the planet to enter and stay forever? 

Why is Thailand and the IO always the bad guys and not the law breaker? Perhaps some of these long termers hiding out in the remote countryside have good reason to stay away from their home country. You have no way of knowing.

100% agree.

5 hours ago, drbeach said:

yeah like what, 5 flights a day half of which end up being cancelled?

What I'd like to know is, who ratted him out?

Immaterial who "ratted" him out, he was on overstay, knew it, did it deliberately unless he has cognitive impairment. Breach your permission to stay>> out you go. 

No sympathy on the surface of what has been reported.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

How do you go 6 years without getting your passport checked by police in traffic stops? I don't go a month without having one of them or immigration police looking over my passport. Unless he never drove and stayed put in his village for 6 years which is pretty boring.

45 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

That is only if the daily B500 fine is paid on the way out of the country, when leaving voluntarily.  If you're arrested for an overstay the court decides what the fine is and while you're waiting for that court appearance you'll be detained in IDC.  After the court's decision, you'll be returned to IDC for the deportation process.

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why do you presume that he didnt pay the 20 000 Baht overstay fine ?

Why do you also presume that he didnt pay for his own flight back ?

He will face a ten year blacklisting, probably wont ever be coming back to Thailand

Probably planning for a long visit to Vietnam next. Lot of small villages there to hide out.

25 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why do you presume that he didnt pay the 20 000 Baht overstay fine ?

Why do you also presume that he didnt pay for his own flight back ?

He will face a ten year blacklisting, probably wont ever be coming back to Thailand

You said it before me, and perfectly my friend!! That suitcase is going with him to the holding cells.  The fine (whatever amount) must be paid first and they give you time to arrange that I read.  Also, the flight cost must be covered too.  And yes, he will pay for each day in those holding cells!!  Also, how does "OneededJohn"

think he's back in no time???.....is he going to change his fingerprints for the scanner???? lol!!!!

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

World safe again.

Old man thrown out. 

Great job.

nothing wrong with that  -  he did not follow the law and THE LAW does not have feelings like  sorrow, pity and the like

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Very easy for them to do a data search in the system. Find those that have expired and see if they have left the country by the IO data base as well.  If not checked out, literally and figuratively, a check of the last registered residence would uncover whether they were here on overstay or had expired.....How simple, and then they could stop with these stories and how safe it is making Thailand....

Everybody loves these stories except overstayers. Don't mess with the business model.

Maybe he thought all the hoops you jump through here was bullsh*# and so never bothered. He must have made sure his passport was not going to expire, or that could have been tricky. As for getting stopped and passport checked....I think that depends on where you live here. Only been stopped once by immigration dropping a friend off at the bus station. Of course I didn’t have my passport with me....who does?...had my wife talk to them on my phone and they said Okay, but carry the passport next time. Of course I do not, just a laminated small copy.