Passport stupidity

On 6/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, dabhand said:

Normally you can change the passport number at the branch where you opened the account. I have done that at the Pattaya Sai2 branch of SCB without needing to show my previous passport.

I had to do that at the Lad Praow branch of Bangkok Bank. My account was so old I had not only changed passports, they had at least one major upgrade of their software and could not make changes to my old account. The generous clerk spent about three hours on it, and finally solved the problem by deleting my old account and moving the funds to a new one, which had an account number so similar to the old one that memorizing it was easy. You do have to do it at the branch where you originally opened the account. Perhaps you need to speak to the manager. In my case I didn't have to appeal to authority -- the young lady in Customer Service was determined to take care of a long-standing customer.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Had no problem updating my passport number with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. But then, I had both passports to show them.

Yet another thread where the OP blames someone else for their own lack of nous.

God, you are really annoying

24 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

*Passports*: Are you actually talking about bank pass books and passwords ?

No - your passport is needed to open and manage your account. Did you read the thread from the start?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pravda said:

God, you are really annoying

But he does have a point. This issue has been discussed before and is hardly unknown.

I sometimes wonder, when some posters with a fair no. of posts express disbelief/anger or surprise at something, whether they actually bother to read "stuff"..............

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, samsensam said:

either follow their customer unfocused rules and drive 300kms or close your account and open one in another bank, with the added benefit your new branch will be near your home

And even that's not so easy..WPs or other criteria to open an account

Just now, topt said:

But he does have a point. This issue has been discussed before and is hardly unknown.

I sometimes wonder, when some posters with a fair no. of posts express disbelief/anger or surprise at something, whether they actually bother to read "stuff"..............

What point does he have? 

A poster with a Thai nationality posted a few pages back that SCB is being unreasonable. My Thai wife also seems to agree. Well... Even the bank employees agreed. Only a high horse farang who seems to know everything about Thailand seems to disagree. OK, fair enough. 

On 6/26/2020 at 8:17 AM, ronaldo0 said:

Had to get a new card from scb recently as wouldn’t work in atm. I went in and despite me being the only customer in the bank it took a hour to give me a new card !! Country has some of the worst banks and systems I have ever seen. Blows my mind how they function and when I have a problem with a uk bank and call and sort it in a few minutes over the phone it blows my wife’s mind !

Not my recent experience with a UK bank. They 'lost' a transfer of over £1k to Transferwise and took 10 days to 'find' it. Had 4 lengthy phone calls and a few choice words during the process. All because they had a 'technical problem' with the faster payments system. No issues with Thai banks in nearly 40 years........

On 6/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Pravda said:

I'd have to travel 300km

Every time you've used that old ATM since more than 6 months ago, they've been telling you that you would need to get a new one... 

Open a new account and transfer the money.