TV show 'The Simpsons' ditches using white voices for characters of color

rooster59

TV show 'The Simpsons' ditches using white voices for characters of color

2020-06-27T015510Z_1_LYNXMPEG5Q019_RTROPTP_4_AWARDS-EMMYS.JPG

Hank Azaria, of Fox's "The Simpsons," arrives at the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California, U.S., September 18, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson/Files

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Animated TV comedy "The Simpsons" is ending the use of white actors to voice characters of color, producers said on Friday.

"Moving forward, 'The Simpsons' will no longer have white actors voice non-white characters," they said in a brief statement.

The statement did not elaborate but the move follows years of public pressure about the Fox television show's Indian convenience store character Apu, who is voiced by Hank Azaria.

Azaria said earlier this year that he would no longer play the character, which has been criticized as a negative portrayal of Indian-Americans.

Azaria has also voiced the Simpsons characters of Black police officer Lou and the Mexican-American Bumblebee Man. Harry Shearer has played Dr. Hibbert, who is Black.

Friday's statement did not say whether Apu or the other characters would remain on the series.

Bumbling Homer Simpson, housewife Marge, troublemaker Bart, prodigy Lisa and baby Maggie, have captured the changing face of America for more than 30 years in the longest-running scripted show on U.S. television.

"The Simpsons" is syndicated in more than 100 countries.

Friday's announcement comes amidst a widespread reckoning for U.S. pop culture about racism following mass protests this month over the killings of Black Americans by police.

Other white actors, including Mike Henry of animated series "Family Guy" and Kristen Bell of "Central Park," have also said they will no longer voice characters of color.

"It's been an honor to play Cleveland on 'Family Guy' for 20 years. I love this character, but persons of color should play characters of color. Therefore, I will be stepping down from the role," Henry said on Twitter on Friday.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-27

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Ok. So will adults need  be replaced  by children  for cartoon  children's voice overs? Gender  specific? Ops!  No ! Would  discriminate in  consideration of unassigned  gender children?

The concept  of "positive  discrimination" does  not remove discrimination !

I support the elimination of discrimination but the polarization of  attitudes and response so far is not going  anywhere  to  end it and unlikely ever will while humanity chooses  to perpetuate a strange rejection of it's  own diversity.

History of race as we have been told about  provides repetitive examples  of the insignificance of it in moments of  domination. Rise and fall.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Well, James Earl Jones (who is black) has been the voice of Darth Vader since the first Star Wars movie in 1977 (now called Star Wars IV).  In 2005 with the release of Star Wars III we learn that Vader was white (when he had skin).  This racism and social abomination must be remedied!

There is also a Simpsons episode where Maggie (the baby) speaks, with JEJ's voice.  No recourse but to recall and destroy every movie he's been in, Kevin Spacey style.

• Like 2

Double standard: Family Guy was blocked from any jokes about Mohammed and Muslims, then the Simpsons were harassed on the character voices.

Meanwhile; The Simpsons continued to ridicule Christians (Ned Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy) and the 

Family Guy still ridiculed Jews and Christians, including keeping the stereotypical portrayal of pharmacist Mort Goldman, who's is voiced by New York comedian Johnny Brennan, a nice boy of Irish American extraction.

• Like 1

I mentioned this news report in the Dixie thread yesterday - come on The Nation, please try to keep up!!

I said:

And here's another mad decision that panders to BLM snowflakes:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53201667

"Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour"

There's no mention whether they will also ban any black/Asian/POC etc person from doing voiceovers for Caucasians.  Of course not, 'cos that would be RACIST, wouldn't it?  [/sarcasm]

My opinion -  "Us blacks will only use us blacks for anything to do with us blacks, and you whites are not allowed to do anything that could tenuously be linked to us blacks".

It's apartheid by another name.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but for the life of me i can't see where this regurgitation of PC anger old issues and going to make any different to black people anywhere, it hasn't done so in the past and it will not in the future, the biggest problems with african american people hurt feeling in themselves, not in any other places... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where is it going to end...

Not soon enough?

You do realize that it is The Simpsons producers who have made this decision?

Producers are cheap, on The Simpsons six actors provide upwards of 200 voices.

Hank Azaria is BRILLIANT with voices, and impressions. Brockmire was AWESOME.

In other news, Bart Simpson voiced by a WOMAN (Nancy Cartright).

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

Simpsons was dead a decade ago, nothing about it now resembles the quality of the original few series.

Indeed, long since been beating a dead horse.

It seems like yesterday I was at a buddy's house, and we were rolling on the floor laughing when a zombified Krusty The Clown went on his show begging the children to "Send me your parents' braaaaains", for the Halloween special. Hard to believe that was now nearly 30 years ago. The last episode I remember watching a few years back, had something to do with Lisa and the Internet. Very dry delivery that barely elicits a chuckle. That same level of humor from the past just isn't there anymore.

Well, the only good I can see coming out of changing the voices now, is that the new voices will suck, and they'll be what finally puts this horse to rest.

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

All this kowtowing , knee bending , fist clenching nonsense is divisive and rather than lead to greater equality will just end up in black people getting more marginalized.

I can't see all those rioting and taking the opportunity to loot doing it because of their financial stability and well paid positions. Not saying I condone it, but I certainly feel their frustration. I've been there through crappy jobs, living paycheck and paycheck, and periods of unemployment, filling out piles of applications and getting no responses.

So SURELY, all these companies now "standing with Black Lives Matter" with their slick new ad campaigns and social media posts, will be handing out JOBS to all these people who desperately need it. Right? Hah.

Yes, there's certainly SOME people ready with the "they run at the sight of job applications" jokes, but I'm sure they're quite aware that's not the case. They do submit the apps and resumes, which wind up in the trash, at the sight of certain names. I'd really like to hear what the companies "standing with Black Lives Matter" are doing about that.

On the plus side...two of my FAVORITE shows:

Lana Kane voiced by the AMAZING Ayisha Tyler,

And Mr. Goldenfold voiced by Brandon Johnson.

Not so hard to do.

Amazing how triggered some folks are these days by simple progress.

Personally, when it comes to Matt Groening creations I always like Futurama better than The Simpsons.

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

So with all this madness I guess its good bye to Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part

Such a shame :angry:

Yeah call me racist as well I watched last night the movie "Single white female"

and I better stay away from "My fair lady"

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well, James Earl Jones (who is black) has been the voice of Darth Vader since the first Star Wars movie in 1977 (now called Star Wars IV).  In 2005 with the release of Star Wars III we learn that Vader was white (when he had skin).  This racism and social abomination must be remedied!

There is also a Simpsons episode where Maggie (the baby) speaks, with JEJ's voice.  No recourse but to recall and destroy every movie he's been in, Kevin Spacey style.

Don't worry. I heard George Lucas is already working on special edition and searching the galaxy for the green actor to play Greedo. 

• Like 1