TAT Hot Deal @Pattaya set to boost tourism

webfact

TAT Hot Deal @Pattaya set to boost tourism

By THE NATION

800_70174dd96c818df.jpg?v=1593398391

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has teamed up with private businesses in Chon Buri to organise “TAT Hot Deal @Pattaya” from July until December, TAT Pattaya Office director Pinnart Charoenphol said.

The partners under this campaign include members of the Eastern Region Hotel Association, the Chon Buri Tourist Attractions Association, Pattaya City Spa Club and e-commerce platform Shopee,” she said. “More than 100 hotels, spas, restaurants and entertainment venues in Pattaya will offer tourists up to 50 per cent discount,” she confirmed.

From July 1 to 15, Shopee will sell 8,000 vouchers from participating businesses at 50 per cent discount, and customers can choose when they want to visit the province anytime from July 15 until December 24.

“This campaign aims to boost tourism in Pattaya after the Covid-19 lockdown was lifted, as well as restore tourists’ confidence in Chon Buri’s capability to control the outbreak for the safety of both residents and visitors,” she added.

Meanwhile, Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem said the city has prepared measures to prevent Covid-19 from spreading again and make tourist attractions ready for the new normal era in tourism.

“Business operators must follow the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration guidelines, while social distancing must be maintained at public attractions such as Pattaya Beach, Jomtien Beach, South Pattaya Walking Street and the floating market,” Sonthaya said.

Chon Buri has reported 87 accumulated cases of Covid-19, with 85 patients having recovered and been discharged, and 2 deaths. There has been no report of a new case in the province since May 4.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390461

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-29

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

If only one could trust TAT figures.  I hear about hotel deals in Bangkok but Agoda/Expedia never show any.

Quite sure unrelated to this hotel association, but:

was in Pattay from June 14 and one of my preferred places had about 25% discount.

Had a two room "suite" for 900.

A mate pointed me to the FB page of a hotel in Soi Buakhao (Nature View) and prices start at 400(!) Baht. And that's a proper 3star place with big pool.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Will these be the kinds of things where you buy the coupon, show up at the (wherever) and they tell you "Sorry, discount is for Thais only." ?
(Remember - they are probably thinking more about the domestic tourist market than the international market, especially as they don't plan on letting many "international" tourists into the country at all, let alone during the 2 week period when these coupons will be sold.)

Remember what apparently happened at Nong Nooch not long ago when foreigners were being charged the usual "double regular" price while Thais were getting the special discount despite there not being anything said about the promotion only applying to locals.)

Nothing I can see on Shoppee about this promotion yet. Was hoping to find a list of the participating businesses to see if any might be worth the effort. If it's going to be "5% off your 3rd cup of coffee at Starbucks" then not worth the effort.

It's supposed to start tomorrow - you'd think Shoppee would have something mentioning it on their site already.

50% off bar fines at Baccara might generate a lot of interest though. (Not from me of course - I still expect people to pay full price to get me to leave a bar.)

At first glance I thought they pixelated the TAT faces. If I was them I would want my face pixelated, in case someone recognized me on the streets.

With all their hairbrained plans and false numbers, they should be in jail for "Fake News".

On 6/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kerryd said:

Will these be the kinds of things where you buy the coupon, show up at the (wherever) and they tell you "Sorry, discount is for Thais only." ?

Haha, yes, a fear of mine, but it happens to Thais too, like turning up for a flight to Japan and finding out no booking was made.

Which reminds me.
The promotion was supposed to appear on Shoppee and runs from 1-15 July.

I looked at Shoppee online on 1 July - no promotion. I thought maybe it's only on the mobile app for some reason. Tried to download the app. Can't do it. Numerous tries where it says "downloading" then times out and goes back to the "install" screen.

My wife and i like Koh Samed, so yesterday she looked online at the resort we normally go to in order to make a booking for the end of this month, taking advantage of the 40% government sponsored discount.

Guess what, the resort has increased their prices by 66% ( 3,000 to 5,000 per night ) so the tourist gets nothing and the resort gets all the benefit and more. We'll wait till this "sponsorship" is over and prices return back to normal before we go back there.

23 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

We'll wait till this "sponsorship" is over and prices return back to normal before we go back there.

If it was me I'd look for a resort that was offering a "real" discount use them instead and never go back to the one  with dubious practices.

Looks like the Shoppee app is finally downloading. Maybe I'll be able to see some of those deals now.

Raising prices right before having a "sale" is a scam that goes back decades (or more). 
Jack up the price, then offer a "deal" at the original price and people line up for it.

Or like some food/candy manufacturers do. Repackage the product and call it "new and improved", then give them less product than before for the same money, or even less product for more money !
Original Dairy Milk (49 gm) and "new" Dairy Milk (45 gm)  (same price as before though) 
article-2219775-158FF9F4000005DC-359_468x336.jpg.34545899c56b4c3c548776c6eac37935.jpg 

Old Toberlone (top) 
New Toberlone (bottom) - note - it seems Toberlone is going back to the "before" size after getting a lot of criticism.    
download.jpg.227faa2e6f10a1bd5daba25792d482fa.jpg

It's the same with car dealerships and retail stores. Jack up the price, watch sales, if they start to slip have a "sale" with discounts that match the size of the price increase.

Another rip-off was (is) that insurance program they brought out for foreigners.
Offer half the coverage of previous policies, for double the price !

Finally get into Shoppee.
Have to search for "TAT"
Find a link to ""TAT Hot Deal".
Click on it - "error, try again later". (Repeat a few times.)

Found a link for the hotel deals.
What a ****ing joke. You can't enlarge the screen and everything is written (on purpose) in tiny text you can barely see. I had to pull out a magnifying glass to read the descriptions.

It showed was a bunch of "cash coupons" icons ranging from 1,000 to 4,000 baht, then below it showed the places (in tiny script) where you could spend those coupons.
I think I saw Flipper Lodge listed under the 1,000 baht coupon listing as well as the Lek hotel.

Ah - you have to search for "Pattayahotdeals" (yeah, no spaces) to get to the listings of restaurants, spas, attractions and other deals. I see La Baguette for example, something about you buy 1,000 baht and pay 500 (the details are in Thai).
Oh wait - it's "out of stock". 36 coupons sold.
OK, the ZY Bar at the Now (wherever that is). Buy 500 baht, pay 250 or something to that effect. Same for the Octagon.

Ramayana Water Park looks like a 600 baht ticket will only be 300 baht. Same for Easy Kart.

Well, that was fun (not really). Pretty much a waste of time for me but that isn't who this deal is aimed at. It's primarily meant for the domestic tourist market.

6 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

My wife and i like Koh Samed, so yesterday she looked online at the resort we normally go to in order to make a booking for the end of this month, taking advantage of the 40% government sponsored discount.

Guess what, the resort has increased their prices by 66% ( 3,000 to 5,000 per night ) so the tourist gets nothing and the resort gets all the benefit and more. We'll wait till this "sponsorship" is over and prices return back to normal before we go back there.

AS another member suggested, why be loyal to an establishment that is so greedy?

Chose another establishment.  Who knows, you may even like it more than the other one.