So If King Power Will Be Out, What Next?

MarcoH

Hopefully a wider range of companies, bringing lower-prices, and increased choice for customers.

Also extra money for the airport-company, so they can get on with repairs and improvements, to get Swampy-boom back to full operation again.

Airports of Thailand (AOT) is the monpolist here, not King Power (even though they are the only ones there).

There maybe some diversification, which is always a good thing, but AOT is the land lord, they set the rents, and they can set them as high as the want for 1, 2 or 10 players.

king power has stopped selling thai cigs and booze but letting people buy any amount of otheres with a 10% discount on ten or more cartons dont think they will go king power has lots of contacts and deep pockets

Hopefully a wider range of companies, bringing lower-prices, and increased choice for customers.

Also extra money for the airport-company, so they can get on with repairs and improvements, to get Swampy-boom back to full operation again.

Even if they get two more outlets,they will all price fix or information share etc. the consumer will still get nailed.

king power has stopped selling thai cigs and booze but letting people buy any amount of otheres with a 10% discount on ten or more cartons dont think they will go king power has lots of contacts and deep pockets

sounds like they wanna piss someone off!!!

Several years ago King Power were replaced by an Irish Company – I think it was called Aer Rianta – who run Duty Free concessions in a large number of International Airports around the world.

After some time they were kicked out over some controversy (real or imagined I know not – I seem to recall they were accused of avoiding paying Duties to the Government) and King Power was re-installed as a Monopoly.

Needless to say the family who owns King Power is “very well connected” politically, so I too doubt that much will change.

Patrick

sounds like they wanna piss someone off!!!

KP out?

Finally!

Went abroad last week, looked through all their shops and it turns out that King Power has also stopped selling Marlboro cigs.

As far as I know, this is the best selling brand in the world.

Where is the logic here?

Sailor

Well, if King Power is out and toilet space reclaimed, maybe it will replaced by Queen Power, but only if the new Charter recognized the "third sex". Katoeys running around in the store, a good introduction to tourists

about life in LOS, but would they need a special toilet for their use only?? Bad pun maybe, but humorous if you think about it. weird sense of humor?

KP won't be going anywhere. Deals will be struck, palms will be greased, face will be saved all around.

I really miss the outdoor pubs at DM. When everything else was closing at 1, those of us close to the airport could slip over and drink till sunrise.

KP won't be going anywhere. Deals will be struck, palms will be greased, face will be saved all around.

Absolutely agree.

King Power has been around for at least 15 years - probably more - and survived through many Administrations.

No business here ties itself irrevocably to one Party, let alone an individual politician - pragmatism is the name of the game here as much as anywhere else in the world.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Absolutely agree.

King Power has been around for at least 15 years - probably more - and survived through many Administrations.

No business here ties itself irrevocably to one Party, let alone an individual politician - pragmatism is the name of the game here as much as anywhere else in the world.

Patrick

It will end up that it isn't a monopoly, KP will have 1/3 or 1/2 of the concession and another operator will come in; I think there are 3 already bidding plus one 'unknown' foreign duty free giant that is also going to bid, but perhaps not for airport space alone.

but KP will stay.

Not sure why you think they are a rip off; they aren't the most expensive DF in the world, as i recall that honour 'on average' belongs to the big one at Heathrow that does the price comparison ads.

A complete racket if every there was one; or should that be raquet?

No doubt the polo will survive...not so sure about the Rangnam complex...

Not sure why you think they are a rip off; they aren't the most expensive DF in the world, as i recall that honour 'on average' belongs to the big one at Heathrow that does the price comparison ads.

I doubt the shop attendants are on 8-10000 Baht equivalent per month at heathrow though.

Edited by cdnvic

Needless to say the family who owns King Power is “very well connected” politically, so I too doubt that much will change.

Patrick

Very well connected to which regime, the former or the present ?

onzestan

no difference, they've just changed the name...the interior is still the very same, just an odd cousine or two replaced here and there.

Needless to say the family who owns King Power is "very well connected" politically, so I too doubt that much will change.

Patrick

Very well connected to which regime, the former or the present ?

onzestan

If you want to know who they try imply they are connected to, just go to their website here

I've always assumed that they implied royal connection with the company name. Or, does it just sound better than "Government Bribe Power Duty Free" or "Coup Power Duty Free"? :o