Foreign diplomats invited to see coconuts being picked by monkeys

webfact

15 hours ago, jonclark said:

Foreign diplomats invited to see coconuts being picked by monkeys

And apparently all the foreign  diplomats turned up the Thai parliament, thinking this would be the best place to observe this practice...

Can the MP's climb a tree?

• Haha 1

It's a sad day for a nation when they feel that watching monkeys at work is worthy of anybody's time. 

I'm sure all the diplomats have more pressing issues to deal with, like getting a manicure or a hair cut. 

19 hours ago, CLS said:

Do the monkeys get at least the minimum wage?

They do, 

But deducted for food and housing.

Capitalism at work.

They treated equal to many millions of human, who has just as much in the end.

2 hours ago, djayz said:

It's a sad day for a nation when they feel that watching monkeys at work is worthy of anybody's time. 

I'm sure all the diplomats have more pressing issues to deal with, like getting a manicure or a hair cut. 

Or attending high-level meetings.

https://copelandcommunications.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/careerbuildercomchimpanze.jpg?w=800

Couple of points

1 - I don't like monkeys. I have had a few run ins over the years and the monkeys have gotten the upper hand on me. Stolen iced coffees right off my scooter, food also. They aren't to be trusted and can be downright vicious when provoked.

2 - Coconut milk is big business and a major agro-food export for Thailand. Vegan's are one of Peta's big constituencies and vegans use lots of coconut milk as a substitute for cow and goat milk. Hence the Ministry's quick action to head this thing off.

3 - Finally if I had known I can get a monkey to pick my coconuts I would not have paid my GF kid 200 baht to do it for me.

Edited by expat1010
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, expat1010 said:

Couple of points

1 - I don't like monkeys. I have had a few run ins over the years and the monkeys have gotten the upper hand on me. Stolen iced coffees right off my scooter, food also. They aren't to be trusted and can be downright vicious when provoked.

2 - Coconut milk is big business and a major agro-food export for Thailand. Vegan's are one of Peta's big constituencies and vegans use lots of coconut milk as a substitute for cow and goat milk. Hence the Ministry's quick action to head this thing off.

3 - Finally if I had known I can get a monkey to pick my coconuts I would not have paid my GF kid 200 baht to do it for me.

I kicked one in the belly, it was a merciless kick after the ugly creature defecate in my bike.

2 hours ago, LucyP said:

Much of these monkey's suffering occurs conveniently out of sight--like when their teeth are yanked out, they are kept chained, and subjected to stressful training.

Next you and others like you will be saying... Stop milking cows, stop eating eggs, where does it end.

Carrie  Simmonds, you and others should find something useful to do with your time.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds about right. Let me guess Covid tests for the coconuts..followed by a 14 day quarantine for the diplomats...hell, that's about the only story that could be worse compared to now?

Edited by Solinvictus

19 hours ago, seajae said:

have a friend that trains them, they are very well taken care of and rewarded well for doing their job, there is nothing cruel about it. Peta are well known for their BS and what they say, thet are too eager to kill peoples pets when they get the chance too, their BS about sheep a few years ago was all fabricated by them as are most of what they say, peta are just as bad as antifa. Admittedly there may be a few bad owners that are not good with their monkeys but the far greater majority treat them exceptionally well, never seen chains on them either, its usually a neck ring and a rope, again we see businesses cow tailing to a rabid group same as they did with the blm BS, they are pathetic

What a lot of apologist nonsense. 

Animal exploitation for profit is wrong, end of story. 

• Like 1

Several commenters have noted how the monkeys are not treated cruelly and seem to enjoy their work. What I have not seen is any mention of the practice of removing all the monkey's teeth to prevent them from biting. I have personally observed this years ago and have been told it is still common practice today. I would say that practice alone qualifies as animal cruelty.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, KKr said:

These do-gooders are such hypocrites !

raise cattle, horses, sheep and donkeys, goats for exploitation and absolutely inefficient food production with a huge ecological footprint is apparently acceptable, locking birds in cages to hear them singing, exploit cats and dogs locked up in houses, all fine. 
but some monkeys doing what they enjoy is cruel .

go home and do your homework before creating clickbait and some revenue on the back of monkeys that are having a great time !!

Respectfully, maybe you should do some homework on this issue. It is common practice for these monkeys to have all their teeth yanked out to prevent them from biting. I have personally seen this at a monkey harvesting operation years ago, and am told (by Thais) that this is still common practice today. I will assume you would agree this is a cruel practice.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Several commenters have noted how the monkeys are not treated cruelly and seem to enjoy their work. What I have not seen is any mention of the practice of removing all the monkey's teeth to prevent them from biting. I have personally observed this years ago and have been told it is still common practice today. I would say that practice alone qualifies as animal cruelty.

Chaining any animal up is wrong, especially wild animals that are meant to live wild. Any animals that fights a chain isn't happy. Removing their teeth is barbaric, but to be expected in Asian countries where animals are exploited far more than anywhere else...................https://www.animalsasia.org/uk/facts-about-cruelty-to-animals-in-asia.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This Monkey business is not impressive especially if they have their teeth removed, however I think it's a lesser evil to what is likely to be continuing in the Fishing industry. Overfishing and rampant human exploitation, I believe reps from the EU witnessed window dressing of the industry and gave it the thumbs up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Next you and others like you will be saying... Stop milking cows, stop eating eggs, where does it end.

Carrie  Simmonds, you and others should find something useful to do with your time.

Agreed - but cut Carrie Symonds some slack - she has the outcome of her liaison with the Silverback in charge of the country to look after poor thing. 

• Haha 1