COVID-19: Here are the requirements for foreigners wishing to enter Thailand

webfact

41 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Does anyone know if it’s possible for a 75 year old guy like me to get a 100,000 USD health care insurance binder for anything less than a King’s ransom, if at all?

There are probably many in the same position as  you - myself included, and at the moment I'm staying put in Thailand although I have pressing reasons to go back to the UK in a few months. I just hope things are clearer by then! :cheesy:????

19 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Maybe............. or perhaps just another example of the inept clueless illogical thoughtless decision making that seems to characterize all decisions taken by Boris and his cabinet of muppets.

Seems to be a characteristic of one or two Governments!

• Like 1

Persons who hold a valid certificate of residence

Has somebody more information about this? I have a NON-O visa. Can I ask the immigration for a certificate of residence, then travel to Europe and come back to Thailand using this certificate of residence?

Google it  "certificate of residence"and I dont think so 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Find out. E-mail your insurance company and ask them.

Many Health Insurance Policies (not Travel Insurance) cover all respiratory illnesses and do not have exclusions for epidemics.

That said, there maybe a clause where a Policy does not cover someone for traveling against Government advice.

(the UK FCO just lifted advice against travelling to Thailand).

Against expectations UK has included Thailand on the red list of countries for incoming passengers,meaning they have to quarantine/self isolate for 14 days. EU has put Thailand on green list. I would be unsurprised if in a tit for tat response UK spouses applying for return to Thailand are knocked back given each application is on a 'case by case' basis. I know this could affect you though I sincerely hope not ,but another reason for not being the guinea pig in this process. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andre47 said:

Has somebody more information about this? I have a NON-O visa. Can I ask the immigration for a certificate of residence, then travel to Europe and come back to Thailand using this certificate of residence?

As stated in previous posts, this refers to those who have PERMANENT RESIDENCY STATUS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thonglorjimmy said:

Many foreigners who have Thai spouses extend their stay based on retirement as it's less invasive, though the financial requirement is higher.
I wonder if a marriage certificate would be all that's required and there's not a requirement to actually have an extension based on marriage.
Any rule that is open to interpretation by individual Immigration Offices or offices is open to abuse and worries me.

Nothing I have read indicates that it matters what your reason for extension was...or if you even had one.  For that matter you could be getting a new non-O.

A number of members with extensions based on retirement but Thai spouses are in the process if applying to return.That does not seem to be an issue. (plenty of other issues and hoops, but not that).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starky said:

What company is providing "covid" insurance? I have personal medical cover worth a million US but I doubt it covers pandemics...

Me too, and it is with Cigna and they have sent me a Certificate today showing I have Covid-19 cover of US$1m. Worth writing to your Broker or Insurer. If you have had it since before Feb 2020 you may be pleasantly surprised.

32 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I think the UK government have just "fired a shot across Thailand's bows" by their exclusion from list of countries that are allowed to visit the UK without quarantine requirements i.e. they don't believe Thailand's statistics, and are concerned that a State of Emergency still exists when there is supposed to be ZERO cases of "home grown Covid"!

39 minutes ago,  sambum said:   correction to above

34 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Maybe............. or perhaps just another example of the inept clueless illogical thoughtless decision making that seems to characterize all decisions taken by Boris and his cabinet of muppets.

Yes that as well. 

they don't believe Thailand's statistics,  Pot kettle,   Thailand is obviously pretty Covid free now, hard to hide a pandemic for months even for a competent government.

We are currently back in Scotland, in quarantine, and don't have any problems about it, it seems fair enough. Northern Thailand hasn't had any cases for months, but plane travel (3) is not without risk.  The one change in the Thai rules appears to be the quarantine rules. Does it now mean that if you have a letter certifying that you are staying in your own home (Thai or Falang)  you don't have to use their forced accommodation offer? Any advice on that welcome.

Why the UK made a special case for Thailand beats me. It will just rile them, and make them more inclined to treat UK citizens badly. Now if it had been all of Europe telling the Thais that some of the demands like insurance were a bit aggressive they might have listened. However we blew that one. Ho Hum.

8 hours ago, andre47 said:

Even if you can.Look at requirements to return.You have to have a lot of expence for certificates.and then have to stay in very expencive hotel for 2 weeks on return.Who knows what happens when you are out of thailand.and the 72 hours certificate,you cannot book a flight untill you have this and this is the last one you need to get.And the cost of flight to go within one day.very expencive.you have 72 hours from time of certificate,to be back in thailand.Stay were you are.unless you are leaving for at least the next 3 months.And then there might be another outbreak.

20 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Against expectations UK has included Thailand on the red list of countries for incoming passengers,meaning they have to quarantine/self isolate for 14 days. EU has put Thailand on green list. I would be unsurprised if in a tit for tat response UK spouses applying for return to Thailand are knocked back given each application is on a 'case by case' basis. I know this could affect you though I sincerely hope not ,but another reason for not being the guinea pig in this process. 

The Potential ‘tit for tat’ is somewhat of a concern, although my thought on that is that those whose desk our applications cross are so buried in their own importance they are disconnected from what’s going on outside of Thailand. 

Being the 'guinea pig’ doesn’t concern me if everything works as as the instructions imply, even if I have to delay for a weak or two. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Garvie said:

39 minutes ago,  sambum said:   correction to above

We are currently back in Scotland, in quarantine, and don't have any problems about it, it seems fair enough. Northern Thailand hasn't had any cases for months, but plane travel (3) is not without risk.  The one change in the Thai rules appears to be the quarantine rules. Does it now mean that if you have a letter certifying that you are staying in your own home (Thai or Falang)  you don't have to use their forced accommodation offer? Any advice on that welcome.

Not at all. Quarantine in a sanctioned, supervised facility remains absolutely mandatory.

As a foreigner you have to pay top go into  "Alternative State Quarantine". Elsewhere in this thread there have been posts indicating the terms and they are pretty draconian. Can't order in food, for example.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well as an over 75 on retirement extension, Non-B, I was hoping that I could visit family in New Zealand this coming Christmas. I will cancel that idea now. However there is nothing forthcoming that informs us just how long these regulations are going to stay so theoretically next year could be a problem too. Worse still, I wonder if they will remain as part of the 'new normal' in which case it would mean that I, and others like me, would be basically unable to travel abroad and return. In other words we stay until we are told we can't or we leave voluntarily making sure we take our assets with us. (Travelling abroad and unable to re-enter how would one access assets left here (800K in the bank etc.)?

The view I am taking is that I leave for my house in France and take all important papers with me. One day Thailand will reopen borders for tourists and then we come back, cancel the retirement visa, repatriate all savings and only travel in on a 30-day TV. The retirement visa should be renamed 0ne-year TV with a multi-entry option if purchased.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Petchou said:

People who have chosen to live in Thailand for retirement and consider thaïland home are simply ignored.  Many have partners for years and have families without necessary being officially married.   They are treated like <deleted> by Thai government.   No empathy, no rational and pragmatism.   It would be nice if European countries and north Americans countries reciprocate and don't let Thai travel to their countries, just to make them feel same feeling.

Unfortunately this is the same or worse for Thai spouses, girlfriends stuck abroad. My Australian friend went home with his Thai girlfriend just before this covid <deleted> hit the fan. The girlfriend had a 3 year multiple entry visa to Australia 3 months stamp at a time (if I remember correctly) It expired and Australia has nothing similar in in place like Thailand, no amnesty whatsoever. They were told that she must apply and pay for a new short stay visa while she's there and the 3 year multiple entry is void since she couldn't leave the country at the time. She's got the new couple of months visa for a fee but she lost the 3 year one. Sorry but I have to say that Thailand handles this situation much better. They are actually helpful to farangs this time. Oh and UK didn't even put Thailand on the safe country list... just compare how UK and Thailand fares with covid. Wonder if you are actually joking

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

fired a shot across Thailand's bows

More like a BB gun.  How many Thai people will suffer by not being able to go to the UK and does the Thai government even care about that?

Well something else to get everyone in a huff. Give it up boys, if you are in Thailand do not leave untill all this has passed because you will not be getting back in anytime soon. When they start letting tourist in then you may have a chance. If you are from the states it will be awhile before any american gets on a permission to visit. Say what you will about Thailand but they are trying to protect the people who live here alot better than the president has done

• Haha 1