COVID-19: Here are the requirements for foreigners wishing to enter Thailand

webfact

21 hours ago, LEKPHUKET said:

Very true , but you cannot expect more from brainless people leading a country, and dont forget we are just dirty farang for them. 

You could well be a dirty farang if that’s how you perceive yourself, I have lived here many years and everyone knows me locally, I am definitely not seen as a dirty farang, I speak their language , never felt uncomfortable among them, have dinner with them and socialize with them.

what you say is nonsense, depends on how you act and speak, that’s how you get judged......treat them like <deleted> and they will see you as a piece of <deleted>....loud overbearing booming voice insults them....you may well be an idiot

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, andre47 said:

Persons who hold a valid certificate of residence

Has somebody more information about this? I have a NON-O visa. Can I ask the immigration for a certificate of residence, then travel to Europe and come back to Thailand using this certificate of residence?

I think it means a Permanent Resident Book but you can ask.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, harrykylee said:

Hi Folks!

Am i correct in my assumption that most people dont have to go through quarantine anymore? Based on the info-graphic above, the only mention of quarantine is the last 3 categories, being Education, Medical and “Special Arrangement Long Stay”.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Correct, as the other ones are not allowed entry....;

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

While education is, it states "education institute approved by the Thai government" and I strongly suspect this means formal degree programs, I very much doubt they will let people in for short term language classes and the like.

Foreign students pay a lot for the privilege of studying in Thailand even at government universities...considerably more than Thai students and it is an earner for the universities.

As for retirees, I suspect the issue hasn't gotten onto anyone's radar.  The number of retirees who are (1) not married to a Thai and (2) not currently in Thailand would be pretty small. And smaller still for people in that situation willing to shell out big bucks, jump through major hoops and undergo mandatory 14 day quarantine,.

It would defeat the purpose if 'tourists' began to sign up for dubious 'learn Thai' courses which are just visa mills. I have seen many 'students' signing for such course but don't attend classes regularly and their main purpose is not learning Thai.

Yes, a four year degree course would be more acceptable but the requirement didn't say it must be a 4 four degree university course. Any short course is also education.

There are retirees who need to go out of Thailand to their home country and come back in. The numbers are not small.

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:
16 hours ago, CH1961 said:

A retirement visa was never existing. 

Then explain why the IO writes "Retirement" above his stamp whenever I enter LOS

There’s a bit of semantic pedanticsm in this ‘branch off discussion’.....

Its not a ‘retirement visa’ or ‘Marriage Visa’... Its a Non-Immigration Type O or IO Visa based on Retirement or based on Marriage. 

How serious is this COVID-19? Most people are in bad conditions because the economy is down. The 100K USD insurance seems like too much. I think that it is the end of tourism industry in Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

How serious is this COVID-19? Most people are in bad conditions because the economy is down. The 100K USD insurance seems like too much. I think that it is the end of tourism industry in Thailand. 

I think insurance cover is one of the things they have got right. 

Insurance is required for a Schengen Visa and Europe has never been short of tourists. 

US$100,000 is not an unreasonable limit, if someone has a serious accident costs add up. 

While I hate the idea of a 15 day quarantine, I’m at peace with the idea if thats what it takes to get back to my family. 

BUT... kick-starting tourism will have to rely on better options: Such as....

- Pre-flight Covid-19 PCR test (and Covid-19 Free certificate)

- Covid-19 test on arrival, Track and Trace, and contact tracing if someone is positive.

- No need for Quarantine (tourists are not going to come if there is quarantine)

Or the Option of a Covid-19 Passport - but this depends on whether or not there is immunity to Covid-19 for those who have had the disease. 

i.e. Those who have tested Positive for Covid-19 Antibodies have a Covid-19 Passport. And, when there is a vaccine, the vaccination stamp is posted in the Covid-19 Passport. 

In much the same way people have to have a Yellow Fever Vaccination certificate to travel into some counties (i.e. in Africa). 

Of course, without a vaccine much of this becomes difficult - thus for now, I think the Covid-19 PCR test and Covid-19 free certificate would deal with the majority of issues. 

There will of course be pockets of outbreaks - but the whole goal of lockdown was to ensure health services were not overwhelmed. If this goal can be maintained there is no need for further lock down.

Edited by richard_smith237

On 7/6/2020 at 4:15 AM, Petchou said:

People who have chosen to live in Thailand for retirement and consider thaïland home are simply ignored.  Many have partners for years and have families without necessary being officially married.   They are treated like <deleted> by Thai government.   No empathy, no rational and pragmatism.   It would be nice if European countries and north Americans countries reciprocate and don't let Thai travel to their countries, just to make them feel same feeling.

Rs holes they R

Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs youtube page has an approximately 15 minute presentation 3 times a week (usually Mon/Wed/Fri) in English giving an update on the recent news, pronouncements, rules and procedures. It is quite informative and the presenter is excellent. This information usually starts some minutes into the videos. The most recent one: Covid 19 Daily Briefing July 3, 2020 - The next one will be on Thursday 9 July (because of the long weekend).

Here is a video of Thailand's Ambassador to Singapore from 29 June giving in clear and precise detail (in English) the procedure in Singapore for non-Thai nationals to get back to Thailand from Singapore. Forward the video to about the 10:50 minute mark.

The full procedure and document forms that need to be filled out are at the bottom of this embassy page.

Insurance that covers COVID-19 and will be accepted for entering Thailand under the present rules is available from some Thai insurance companies. The cost is in the range of US$1,800 (depending on your age) for one year's coverage. If you contact a local Thai insurance broker (cheaper than going direct to an insurance company), they should be able to give you some choices. Here is an example of one that will be accepted. It is named: Visa Friendly - this is not an endorsement - just an example that it is available.

Other informative websites with useful information:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Press Release information on relevant updates (English)

Thai Government's Public Relations Facebook page (English)

Ministry of Public Health, Department of Disease Control, COVID-19 forms required when returning to Thailand (English)
Alternate State Quarantine (ASQ) Hotels (in Thai)

My understanding (through personal experience) of the "Certificate of Residence."

The "Certificate of Residence" is the (official) name of the document issued when you are granted Permanent Residency. Immigration in Thailand also refer to it as a "Residence Permit". It does not have to be renewed once you are in the country. However, it must be renewed if you are planning to leave the country and you wish to retain Permanent Residency, as your re-entry visa is only given up to the date of renewal of the Certificate of Residency. Each renewal is for one year.

If you leave the country, you need a "Non-Quota Immigrant Visa" to re-enter Thailand. It is in effect a re-entry visa, and it expires on the same date as the Certificate of Residence expires.

Getting a Certificate of Residence takes quite some time and costs in excess of B200,000. There are restrictions on how many people of a given nationality are granted residency (some say 100 per nationality). The Immigration Bureau's webpage on residency is here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, S0S said:

Here is a video of Thailand's Ambassador to Singapore from 29 June giving in clear and precise detail (in English) the procedure in Singapore for non-Thai nationals to get back to Thailand from Singapore. Forward the video to about the 10:50 minute mark.

That's all very interesting but it's just another comment by one of the ambassadors on what seems to be the current situation.

Unfortunately the situation remains very fluid and what seems to be the rules for now might very well change into the next month and then again into the month after that.

And as somewhat understandable, different ambassadors tend to add their own little bits and pieces to their interpretation of the rules making  the situation even less predictable.

I think Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the only authority at the moment that has a clear grasp on the situation and their facebook press releases are our only source of up-to-date rules and changes.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, Sheryl said:

However it is no longer a requirement that treatment be unavailable in the person's own country. This harks back to pre July when permission was granted only on emergency humanitarian grounds. The new guidance allows even "wellness" tourists and makes specific mention of things like fertility treatments, hardly an emergency.

They do seem to require some sort of certificate from a doctor or hospital in the home country but I think this has more to do with proving that the person is really coming as a patient.

I haven't found any official guidance - any chance you let me know where to look? The London embassy doesn't have anything about wellness as opposed to emergency treatment.

It is on the CAAT website but seems to be only in Thai.

6 July email update from the US Embassy in Thailand says:

Kingdom of Thailand Permits Entry for Certain Classes of Foreign National Visitors

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) announced on June 29, 2020 flights carrying the following types of passengers will be allowed into Thailand:

·    Thai nationals.

·    Persons with exemption or persons being considered, permitted, or invited by the Prime Minister, or the head of responsible persons accountable for resolving state of emergency issues to enter the Kingdom, as necessary. Such consideration, permission or invitation may be subject to specified conditions and time limits.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are a spouse, parent, or child of a Thai national.

·    Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of residence, or permission to reside in the Kingdom.

·    Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid work permit or allowed to work in the Kingdom, including their spouse or children.

·    Carriers of necessary goods subject to immediate return after completion.

·    Crew members who are required to travel into the Kingdom as part of their duties and have a specified date and time for return.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students.

·    Non-Thai nationals in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendants. However, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID–19.

·    Individuals in diplomatic missions, consular affairs, international organizations, government representatives, foreign government agencies working in Thailand, or individual in other international agencies as permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including their spouse, parents, or children.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement with a foreign country. 

The Royal Thai Government has not yet clarified how non-Thai travelers approved for entry can travel to Thailand."

I don't think any Embassy has put anything up yet, I am going by official government statements in the press. Most I think are still awaiting clarification from the MFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 1:20 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Depends how much you want to come back really, sounds like you don't.

would i waste my time complaining if i did not want to return?
what they are asking is an absurdity 
fit to fly and covid free 
sounds like they misunderstood like you 
maybe youve been there too long

9 hours ago, andy72 said:

would i waste my time complaining if i did not want to return?
what they are asking is an absurdity 
fit to fly and covid free 
sounds like they misunderstood like you 
maybe youve been there too long

With an attitude like yours along with all your complaining i'll be surprised if you're granted approval from Thai embassy to return.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is on the CAAT website but seems to be only in Thai.

6 July email update from the US Embassy in Thailand says:

Kingdom of Thailand Permits Entry for Certain Classes of Foreign National Visitors

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) announced on June 29, 2020 flights carrying the following types of passengers will be allowed into Thailand:

·    Thai nationals.

·    Persons with exemption or persons being considered, permitted, or invited by the Prime Minister, or the head of responsible persons accountable for resolving state of emergency issues to enter the Kingdom, as necessary. Such consideration, permission or invitation may be subject to specified conditions and time limits.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are a spouse, parent, or child of a Thai national.

·    Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of residence, or permission to reside in the Kingdom.

·    Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid work permit or allowed to work in the Kingdom, including their spouse or children.

·    Carriers of necessary goods subject to immediate return after completion.

·    Crew members who are required to travel into the Kingdom as part of their duties and have a specified date and time for return.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students.

·    Non-Thai nationals in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendants. However, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID–19.

·    Individuals in diplomatic missions, consular affairs, international organizations, government representatives, foreign government agencies working in Thailand, or individual in other international agencies as permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including their spouse, parents, or children.

·    Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement with a foreign country. 

The Royal Thai Government has not yet clarified how non-Thai travelers approved for entry can travel to Thailand."

I don't think any Embassy has put anything up yet, I am going by official government statements in the press. Most I think are still awaiting clarification from the MFA.

Retirees, Elite visa holders and property owners must be livid.

51 minutes ago, Visarghhhh said:

People with O-A retirement visa should be allowed back in with the usual precautions.  We should get priority over tourists.

Agreed. People with Non-Immigration visa’s based on retirement and marriage etc are ‘committed’ to Thailand - I see no reason why those with a Visa / extension based on retirement have been excluded - it doesn’t make any sense and is unfair to those visa holders while others are permitted entry. 

I think anyone who can show ties to Thailand should be permitted to apply for the Certificate of Entry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think anyone who can show ties to Thailand should be permitted to apply for the Certificate of Entry.

What difference would it make to allow them to apply without being given any hope for actually being approved?

Those with the families have applied and are still waiting...

Any news on ANY approvals other than those with work permits?

20 minutes ago, unheard said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What difference would it make to allow them to apply without being given any hope for actually being approved?

Those with the families have applied and are still waiting...

Any news on ANY approvals other than those with work permits?

Fair point... it would show a degree of fairness.

I’ve been told all documents received and in order, and to wait for the approval. No idea when that may be.