COVID-19: Here are the requirements for foreigners wishing to enter Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, starky said:

What company is providing "covid" insurance? I have personal medical cover worth a million US but I doubt it covers pandemics...

Don't be so sure - just ask them. The company that runs my regular comprehensive health insurance has sent me several emails assuring me that Covid is covered just like any other ailment (even better, actually, since Covid-related tests and treatment have no copay or deductible).

4 hours ago, starky said:

What company is providing "covid" insurance? I have personal medical cover worth a million US but I doubt it covers pandemics...

Are you sure? Have you checked the docs? I got April cover after the pandemic started and it isn't excluded.

1 hour ago, sead said:

How can this country survive with so many idiots in the top tier. All your economy is suffering because you have built your country around tourism. And now they have some ideas that 500 rich people are going to save the economy. Or that a businessman have time to quarantine 2 weeks. Where does all the ideas come from

Just look at Western Countries.

7 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I heard from a Thai friend, whom I'm not able to reach now, that there is an online option, more convenient and cheaper, for receiving the Medical Certificate (fit to fly). Does anyone have any details on where that may be obtained? I didn't see any details on the LA Consulate's website. I'll check the Embassy's website.

Respectfully, I ask, Please keep this link updated with your findings.  I assure you that this very challenge is the key obstacle for MANY of us here, intending to go to or pass through the U.S..  Thank you in advance for your hard work!

9 hours ago, Petchou said:

People who have chosen to live in Thailand for retirement and consider thaïland home are simply ignored.  Many have partners for years and have families without necessary being officially married.   They are treated like <deleted> by Thai government.   No empathy, no rational and pragmatism.   It would be nice if European countries and north Americans countries reciprocate and don't let Thai travel to their countries, just to make them feel same feeling.

Thai nationals who enter the country at the moment are having to go through Quarantine.

Why would you think a non-Thai would be able to avoid it?

56 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not at all. Quarantine in a sanctioned, supervised facility remains absolutely mandatory.

As a foreigner you have to pay top go into  "Alternative State Quarantine". Elsewhere in this thread there have been posts indicating the terms and they are pretty draconian. Can't order in food, for example.

You can't order in food delivery like KFC or Pizza Hut. However, if you have friends locally, you can ask them to drop off things like snacks and drinks with the hotel reception (once you know where you're staying and your room number).

All goobeldeygook. Seems it’s hard enough for a clear thinking rational Government to get this sorted let alone a Government who insist on multiple red tape and Face. Easier and a hell of a lot less drama and cheaper just to wait it out. I hope the new normal comes before Christmas. ????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, harrykylee said:

Hi Folks!

Am i correct in my assumption that most people dont have to go through quarantine anymore? Based on the info-graphic above, the only mention of quarantine is the last 3 categories, being Education, Medical and “Special Arrangement Long Stay”.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

The only ones not doing isolation are people who are less than 14 days business visitors. 

They get a 3000 baht test on arrival at Survanabhumi. 

Certificate of residence book attached. 

About 100 issued each year.

FB_IMG_1593603241584.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

They are probably talking about the Middle East lot from UAE, Qatar, etc who love the likes of Bumrungrad hospital.

Yes, but they are not in need to come for this to Thailand. They perhaps like the place and the prices, but "in need" means, they are in a hurry and only can get it there. Not in a hospital in another country. I guess the hospitals in their countries are not bad.

9 hours ago, andre47 said:

Persons who hold a valid certificate of residence

Has somebody more information about this? I have a NON-O visa. Can I ask the immigration for a certificate of residence, then travel to Europe and come back to Thailand using this certificate of residence?

No

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

there is no reason to expect this to remain indefinitely. It is quite specific to the COVID situation,. Thailand is not going to be closed forever.

But, can't say when it will ease given that the pandemic is still raging in several parts of the world.

I am in the same situation as you except my travel was a bit more urgent, originally planned for this month, and to the US, which is a huge problem as they aren't going to open the borders to arrivals from the US for many months the way things are going there.

A December trip to NZ on the other hand might be possible. If I were you I'd hold off on cancelling. NZ may be included in a"travel bubble" scheme in a month or two..

Yes, you may be right...indeed, I hope you are but for my own peace of mind I will cancel and hope that next year (April, say) the situation will be more definite. I am fortunate in that I only have myself to take of in Thailand unlike others who have families or other responsibilities, I wish them the best.

Thanks for your (positive) comment anyway and I hope you are able to cope with the urgency for travel to the US until things are better.

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I think you are right.

Only people who "need" to come back will apply, and it will probably be a very long and painful process, depending on which embassy they will have to deal with.

One can only imagine the difficulty to synchronize everything while waiting for administrative decisions and documents that the applicant has no control over.

I'm stuck here in Australia. 

5 months.

The cost to get back to Thailand based on the Coe and other documents is about 160,000 baht for me.

Plus need consent to leave Australia. 

The compulsory insurance coverage for covid19 and 14 days isolation in a hotel, plus you are put on a list of repatriation flights and wait for a seat..

Sorry... Just can't do it...????

• Like 2

Either the information in the OP is wrong or there has been a change that has not been notified to Thai Embassies.  Under 'Thai Nationals' there is no requirement for quarantine - just that they 'avoid risky areas for 14 days'. I spoke to the Thai Embassy in London last Friday (3 July) and state quarantine for Thai nationals was still in place then.

People who have chosen to live in Thailand for retirement and consider thaïland home are simply ignored.  Many have partners for years and have families without necessary being officially married.   They are treated like <deleted> by Thai government.   No empathy, no rational and pragmatism.   It would be nice if European countries and north Americans countries reciprocate and don't let Thai travel to their countries, just to make them feel same feeling.

There are obvious benefits in being formally married, so I can't understand why anyone would refuse to do that. But I suppose they must have their reasons.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are obvious benefits in being formally married, so I can't understand why anyone would refuse to do that. But I suppose they must have their reasons.

Those in positions of power don’t care, because they are not impacted, they can travel to foreign countries under a diplomatic flag. 

The primary reason my Wife and I were officially married was for legal reasons, ensuring would be recognised on the Birth Certificate of our child in the future etc 

I do think the re-entry regulations have been hastily thought up and have unnecessary omitted many foreigners with strong ties to Thailand. 

I see that retirees being the most harshly done by. Thailand offers retirement status for those older than 50 years old but now prevents them from re-entering Thailand and going through the quarantine process along with the other returnees - its wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Either the information in the OP is wrong or there has been a change that has not been notified to Thai Embassies.  Under 'Thai Nationals' there is no requirement for quarantine - just that they 'avoid risky areas for 14 days'. I spoke to the Thai Embassy in London last Friday (3 July) and state quarantine for Thai nationals was still in place then.

State Quarantine has never not been in place for returning Thai nationals. 

The waters seem to have been muddied with inconsistent announcements which lack clarity. 

All the hoops they are forcing on people is just there to slow the amount of people coming into Thailand. You have to ask yourself why when they still force people into quarantine on arrival for 14 days. They know that the documents aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. No pre-screen works, and if it did, then you would not have any people in Thailand with the WuFlu. 

As all those that have processed anything at immigration knows ...... Thais love paperwork and red tape.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Not at all. Quarantine in a sanctioned, supervised facility remains absolutely mandatory.

As a foreigner you have to pay top go into  "Alternative State Quarantine". Elsewhere in this thread there have been posts indicating the terms and they are pretty draconian. Can't order in food, for example.

Indeed, the rules are draconian: 

I think they are scared of people ordering in and getting food poisoning or something requiring additional medical attention and placing others at risk.

This is the same reason quarantinee's are not permitted alcohol. It seems the thought process is that we are children and will get too drunk, fall over and require further medical treatment.

The quarantine regulations definitely involve a requirement to ’suck it up’... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

Me too, and it is with Cigna and they have sent me a Certificate today showing I have Covid-19 cover of US$1m. Worth writing to your Broker or Insurer. If you have had it since before Feb 2020 you may be pleasantly surprised.

January 23 many companies excluded the pandemic cover from policies. 

That's why they now ask to have it clearly shown as $100,000 covid19 insurance coverage.

Several companies are offering it.

I'm on another site that's dedicated to.   

"farang stranded abroad due to lockdown..."

Many useful contributions on there..

FB_IMG_1593067680785.thumb.jpg.79dfa4a5ced32e149ce5d8b02212f314.jpgFB_IMG_1593661438721.jpg.9d0236c138086d1ca4d487a8a6e00cf4.jpg

FB_IMG_1593067838121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It must be a joke

I guess not ANY SINGLE turist would come with these harsh requirements

what  is the rationale of having a Covid-free certificate PLUS have to quarantine for 14 days ???

if these requirements last for much longer , most turism industry in Thailand shall bankrupt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JEAN MARC DECROP said:

It must be a joke

I guess not ANY SINGLE turist would come with these harsh requirements

what  is the rationale of having a Covid-free certificate PLUS have to quarantine for 14 days ???

if these requirements last for much longer , most turism industry in Thailand shall bankrupt

Tourism isn't allowed.  There are no tourists even if it was open, which it isn't.  

57 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, but they are not in need to come for this to Thailand. They perhaps like the place and the prices, but "in need" means, they are in a hurry and only can get it there. Not in a hospital in another country. I guess the hospitals in their countries are not bad.

Maybe Thailand is ' in need ' of their money!

6 hours ago, starky said:

If any insurance policy not explicitly excludes Covid, then it is covered like any other disease.

10 hours ago, Petchou said:

Oh, you still thinking, Thai like foreigners????

How long do you stay in LOS?

They only love your money. That's all they love.

4 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

Many foreigners who have Thai spouses extend their stay based on retirement as it's less invasive, though the financial requirement is higher.
I wonder if a marriage certificate would be all that's required and there's not a requirement to actually have an extension based on marriage.
Any rule that is open to interpretation by individual Immigration Offices or offices is open to abuse and worries me.

"Any rule that is open to interpretation by individual Immigration Offices or offices is open to ABUSE and worries me"

And that is the biggest problem in this country. Better forget the abbreviation  'LOS', this is especially true for the foreigner.

I can't laugh about it for long time.