Am I screwed if Amnesty not extended?

Current situation:

1. Have Non O ME Visa Marriage that expires Aug 15, 2020

2. I have already stupidly used my 60 day extension from April which ended end of June. I could have just waited to use it until after amnesty.

3. I have approximately 10k liquid assets that is difficult/cannot to gather into thai bank account.

4. I have been in the past year withdraw from ATM 100k baht a month for living expenses.

5. So there's no digital evidence that I deposit money into Thai bank. I can print out my US bank showing that Ive been withdrawing large amounts every month at Thai ATM to show evidence for 40k baht a month?

6. This month I will start using Transferwise to deposit into my Bangkok Bank but I heard it needs to be fir 2 months in a row in order to satisfy 1 year extension requirement?

7. What can I do or am I screwed and have to buy last minute flight back to US without my wife and 2 kids? Wife and kids have thai passports and wants to stay because Bangkok is much safer than Houston coronavirus wise.

• Haha 1

I'm going to ask here, as I'm in a similar situation and considering 2 x 40k transfers and applying for a 1-year extension.

Does it have to be on the exact same day every month? Or just once in July, once in August? 

How long is the seasoning period for a 400k deposit if I decide to do that next year?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe for your help and a glimmer of hope.

Keeping my fingers tightly crossed for a 30 day or any kind of extension so I could satisfy the 40k for 2 months requirements.

(Obviously these issues I have was for the most part my fault since Im so unaware and was not diligent to research them ahead if time)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heist said:

I'm going to ask here, as I'm in a similar situation and considering 2 x 40k transfers and applying for a 1-year extension.

Does it have to be on the exact same day every month? Or just once in July, once in August? 

How long is the seasoning period for a 400k deposit if I decide to do that next year?

Thanks in advance. 

Great question about same day each month.

Regarding the 400k seasoning. I'm quite certain it's 2 months.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How could it arrive into your Thai bank on the same day every month. Banks are closed on weekends and holidays.

I meant it was a great question, and would like an answer. Looks like the requirements does not say it has to arrive same day.

(It is possible for it  to arrive same day of month if needed in US when I get regular deposits from employer...)

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, clorox said:

does the 40k monthly have to come from abroad deposite to your bank?

Yes it has to come from abroad. Use Transferwise directly into your Bangkok Bank. I saw in another thread that a couple of other banks is possible as well.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How could it arrive into your Thai bank on the same day every month. Banks are closed on weekends and holidays.

Good point, but the Computers abroad release funds at their set times. BKK Bank get the funds first, and can send it to the provinces fast or slow ive found.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If the amnesty is not extended there will likely be a 30 day extension you can apply for.

If you transferred at least 40k baht this month and next month that would be enough for you to apply for the one year extension.

Hi, I have enough money to transfer the 400k bht into Thailand for an extension but would prefer to transfer 40k bht every month.

Does there need to be evidence from where the 40k bht originates from?

5 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Good point, but the Computers abroad release funds at their set times. BKK Bank get the funds first, and can send it to the provinces fast or slow ive found.

The transfers go to the main office in Bangkok be be processed before they are credited to your account. Those offices are closed on weekends and holidays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Hi, I have enough money to transfer the 400k bht into Thailand for an extension but would prefer to transfer 40k bht every month.

Does there need to be evidence from where the 40k bht originates from?

You can be asked to prove the source of your income.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would a copy of a letter from my UK pension provider detailing monthly payments and copy of my UK bank account showing regular transfers be sufficient?

Getting back to the OP's question. You are covered by this amnesty for your border runs and your visa. You have stated that your visa expires August 15. If the amnesty is lifted by then, then there will be notification from the government on how many days you have to do your border run for your 90 day stamp, if however they extend the amnesty and your visa expires during that amnesty time you will be covered until the amnesty is lifted and then you will be required to leave Thailand and get a new visa. At the moment you are covered by this amnesty until July 31. No one knows what will happen after that as there has been no decisions on that made yet. It is all up to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia to decide when they are going to open the borders again. I would guess that there will be a decision within the next week on what is going to happen about the amnesty. Extend or lift 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Getting back to the OP's question. You are covered by this amnesty for your border runs and your visa. You have stated that your visa expires August 15. If the amnesty is lifted by then, then there will be notification from the government on how many days you have to do your border run for your 90 day stamp, if however they extend the amnesty and your visa expires during that amnesty time you will be covered until the amnesty is lifted and then you will be required to leave Thailand and get a new visa. At the moment you are covered by this amnesty until July 31. No one knows what will happen after that as there has been no decisions on that made yet. It is all up to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia to decide when they are going to open the borders again. I would guess that there will be a decision within the next week on what is going to happen about the amnesty. Extend or lift 

Yes, another possible positive outcome besides extension of amnesty is open borders between Thailand and a nearby country where I can exit and re-enter without also needing extensive requirements and quarantine. I would need to exit before July 31st and re-enter before my Visa expires Aug 15. Upon re-entry to Thailand I would get a 90 stamp to stay in Thailand. This is what I've done in the past before Coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, phungo said:

Yes, another possible positive outcome besides extension of amnesty is open borders between Thailand and a nearby country where I can exit and re-enter without also needing extensive requirements and quarantine. I would need to exit before July 31st and re-enter before my Visa expires Aug 15. Upon re-entry to Thailand I would get a 90 stamp to stay in Thailand. This is what I've done in the past before Coronavirus.

You do not have to leave before July 31. If they lift the amnesty you will be given so many days to exit. There was an information poster that came out at the start of the amnesty which had at the bottom that when the amnesty is lifted that we had 7 days to exit Thailand. Just wait and see what happens in the next week because you cannot exit before the borders are open.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You do not have to leave before July 31. If they lift the amnesty you will be given so many days to exit. There was an information poster that came out at the start of the amnesty which had at the bottom that when the amnesty is lifted that we had 7 days to exit Thailand. Just wait and see what happens in the next week because you cannot exit before the borders are open.

Oh I did not know that we get extra 7 days. Good to know!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What if I dont have income? No employment nor pension from government. Does prove source of income just mean where money come from to deposit into Bangkok Bank, which is just money from my US bank? Or do you mean how like monthly income? Would my IRS tax return for 2019 suffice? The reason Im here in Thailand for a year is because I want to take a break from work, so naturally I do not currently have income.

Edited by phungo

3 minutes ago, phungo said:

What if I dont have income? No employment nor pension from government. Does prove source of income just mean where money come from to deposit into Bangkok Bank, which is just money from my US bank? Or do you mean how like monthly income? Would my IRS tax return for 2019 suffice? The reason Im here in Thailand for a year is because I want to take a break from work, so naturally I do not currently have income.

It could be proof it was transferred from savings, investments and etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, phungo said:

since our visa did not expired they can re-activate our entry for 90days without having leaving the country, instead of going to the border why not just do it at immigration office, urgent time urgent measure

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, clorox said:

since our visa did not expired they can re-activate our entry for 90days without having leaving the country, instead of going to the border why not just do it at immigration office, urgent time urgent measure

They are not doing that now and it doubtful they ever will.

• Like 1

If you are over age 50, regular attempts to get an extension fail, and you are already on a non immigrant entry, the pragmatic solution will be to use an agent and get a retirement extension. It may go against the grain but, in the current climate, you are asking for a lot of pain if unwilling to bend to the agent system.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If the amnesty is not extended there will likely be a 30 day extension you can apply for.

If you transferred at least 40k baht this month and next month that would be enough for you to apply for the one year extension.

Joe, are you saying that one only needs to show proof of 40K into a Thai bank account for two months to satisfy Immigration in order to get an extension based on marriage? I thought the proof had to be for one year?

And do the funds have to originate from abroad?

Edited by elektrified