Immigration confirm Muang Thong Thani office to reopen amid speculation visa amnesty will not be extended

1 hour ago, vermin on arrival said:

I have been waiting to get back to my home in Taiwan. My flight for Taipei left two hours after the proper time to enter the country on March 18.

It was unfortunate that Taiwan closed its borders to you at a moment's notice on 18 March. Have you talked to the Taiwanese Representative Office in Bangkok about your situation to see, since you have your home in Taiwan, if you fall into the category of "foreign nationals who wish to travel to Taiwan for reasons other than tourism and regular social visits" mentioned in the press release dated June 24, 2020 and therefore "may apply for a special entry permit with an R.O.C. overseas mission by submitting relevant documents and forms"?

54 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It was unfortunate that Taiwan closed its borders to you at a moment's notice on 18 March. Have you talked to the Taiwanese Representative Office in Bangkok about your situation to see, since you have your home in Taiwan, if you fall into the category of "foreign nationals who wish to travel to Taiwan for reasons other than tourism and regular social visits" mentioned in the press release dated June 24, 2020 and therefore "may apply for a special entry permit with an R.O.C. overseas mission by submitting relevant documents and forms"?

I went to TECO and checked last week, and I said my purpose was to incorporate and work, but they said the people qualifying for the permit were corporate business travelers with contracts with Taiwanese firms, and I would have to wait. Seems I am still classed as a tourist even though I am not going for tourism. I asked about the June 29 update and they said it changed nothing. I can't get an ARC via incorporation unless I am there, but I can't get in without an ARC. At the time, I thought ok, I will have to wait for a travel bubble of some sort, but the news this week keeps getting worse. Maybe I can go next week and plead under humanitarian grounds since Thailand plans to kick us all out.

Edited by vermin on arrival

19 hours ago, TwoShipps said:

So now that this has been done, where do I go if I already had an appointment scheduled for next Tuesday, July 14, to process my 90-day report?  The appointment still shows Counter B-65 at Government complex.    (I always do it online, but with the app and website down for the past 2 weeks I was unable to process it that way.)  

Admin- Feel free to move this if I need to post it elsewhere.  

If you have an appointment booked you've answered your own question.

Why would you go somewhere else?

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na said it was reopening under the orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang as he cares about foreigners in Thailand. 

If that is really true then get all your IO to follow the same rule book. Chief ? you are not really a chief at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

I went to TECO and checked last week, and I said my purpose was to incorporate and work, but they said the people qualifying for the permit were corporate business travelers with contracts with Taiwanese firms, and I would have to wait. Seems I am still classed as a tourist even though I am not going for tourism. I asked about the June 29 update and they said it changed nothing. I can't get an ARC via incorporation unless I am there, but I can't get in without an ARC. At the time, I thought ok, I will have to wait for a travel bubble of some sort, but the news this week keeps getting worse. Maybe I can go next week and plead under humanitarian grounds since Thailand plans to kick us all out.

April 21 we were told until July 31 to leave. How is that "kicking out"? It's pretty much a done deal at this point, dont even expect an announcement, the announcement was on April 21. I would be looking over the flight options that take you to another country if you want to avoid the US. There are a good amount of countries open to Americans now....... Mexico, Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Croatia, Serbia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE, Maldives, North Macedonia are all an option. 

non stop bangkok to abu dhabi, would be nice if you can afford the accomdation there.

I'm thinking ukraine for the budget option, but there are insurance and quarantine requirements.

Edited by at15

"under the orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang". So it really is the army with all these Generals with their fancy ranks and uniforms who are running this country.

It just shows you how unconfrontational the Thai people really are, but wait a minute, what about all that with the red and yellow shirts a few years ago?

Are we heading for something like that again in the future?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes, it's pretty clear amnesty will not be extended. People who got caught here will have to apply and pay to stay. I wish they would just allow us to pay for 2 to 3 months at once at whatever fee they decide so things would be simplified as this will clearly be going on till somewhere in the 4th quarter at least. Getting embassy letters and having to do bimonthly trips to immigration will be a real headache if they maintain the old policy of covid extension. They have already done plenty of checks on us so they know we are not a threat to national security of for covid infection, with the covid threat being their main reason for not allowing tourists. The sooner they let us know their policy towards us, the sooner we can plan for whatever eventuality will ensue.

"So things could be simplified".  With Thai Immigration?? Ha ha ha ha.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

There are flights out available, and have been for a considerable time, although I agree not as many as pre Covid.

What about the report from a previous post which says all flights are cancelled, apart from one that is?

15 hours ago, robsamui said:

I came out of Vietnam, back to Thailand on a border run, and the day after I left (March 22nd) Vietnam closed the borders. Several of my friends in a similar position (on supposedly never-ending 3-month tourist visas), but who were still in Vnam at the time, are having to pay up to $300 a month depending on their nationality and circumstances. People over here have got it VERY lucky . . . though I'm surprised that the gov. missed the chance to milk the captive farangs. I'm certain it won't last much longer!

"People over here have got it VERY lucky . . . though I'm surprised that the gov. missed the chance to milk the captive farangs. I'm certain it won't last much longer!".  Yes, the government were too busy sitting round a table making up 22 stupid rules for the bars reopening. They missed the chance to milk the captive farangs. :cheesy: :cheesy:

• Like 1

"are having to pay up to $300 a month depending on their nationality and circumstances"

i think you are alittle bit exaggerating about $300 a month, vietnam also had the amnesty till 31 july

Edited by clorox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, at15 said:

April 21 we were told until July 31 to leave. How is that "kicking out"? It's pretty much a done deal at this point, dont even expect an announcement, the announcement was on April 21. I would be looking over the flight options that take you to another country if you want to avoid the US. There are a good amount of countries open to Americans now....... Mexico, Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Croatia, Serbia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE, Maldives, North Macedonia are all an option. 

non stop bangkok to abu dhabi, would be nice if you can afford the accomdation there.

I'm thinking ukraine for the budget option, but there are insurance and quarantine requirements.

Thanks for the options, but they didn't say that we would have to leave July 31. There was no announcement that there was no possibility that some extra-normal measures would be enacted later on. In fact, there was plenty of speculation by people who have much knowledge of visa situation that if things were still disrupted some kind of extension would be allowed. Yes, the stamp gave us until July 31, but it appeared to be based on borders being opened so there would be some normality to the world and people would get to where they needed to go. Other nations with trapped travelers are all making some allowances to allow people to extend with applications (Vietnam, Taiwan, Laos you just pay $2 a day overstay indefinitely). So yes, I think Thailand may be the only nation deciding that people stuck here have to clear out. This would be kicking out. Hope you have a good day.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, darksidedog said:

It's very typical that they don't just make a decision and tell people what exactly is going on. The 31st is only three weeks away and with flights in and out non existent they need to come up with something.

There are flights out of the country every week. 

1 hour ago, at15 said:

Uh not the case here, I am in japan now. I was told very clearly by immigration back in May this is your one and only extension. They said this is your maximum date you can stay in august and please leave the country as soon as possible before then to return to your home. 

Interesting. You are the first person I have heard this from concerning Thailand (or do you mean not the case in Japan? I think so. They are tough there.) None of the visa experts here said this. I wasn't told this April 24 when I was had my under consideration stamp changed to valid at CW. Could be what you say is true. Thanks for your input. Best to you in Japan.

4 hours ago, samtab said:

Everybody will be able to get a 2 months extension within 30 days, even if you already got one, but for the usual fee. They just want to clear everybody during the next 2 months.

Is that some dream you had last night.

Care to let us know what date this will be announced. Any idea of next lotto numbers. I'm thinking 37

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Thanks for the options, but they didn't say that we would have to leave July 31. There was no announcement that there was no possibility that some extra-normal measures would be enacted later on. In fact, there was plenty of speculation by people who have much knowledge of visa situation that if things were still disrupted some kind of extension would be allowed. Yes, the stamp gave us until July 31, but it appeared to be based on borders being opened so there would be some normality to the world and people would get to where they needed to go. Other nations with trapped travelers are all making some allowances to allow people to extend with applications (Vietnam, Taiwan, Laos you just pay $2 a day overstay indefinitely). So yes, I think Thailand may be the only nation deciding that people stuck here have to clear out. This would be kicking out. Hope you have a good day.

That's speculation. Let's see what actually happens. Laos never had an amnesty but has been allowing 1 month extensions for a fee. I highly doubt Thailand will be kicking everyone out. let's end with the baseless conspiracy theories and wait for an announcement. Vietnam extended it's amnesty in the last minute from June 30 to July 31, though I understand there has been a separate system where you can pay for an extension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, at15 said:

Uh not the case here, I am in japan now. I was told very clearly by immigration back in May this is your one and only extension. They said this is your maximum date you can stay in august and please leave the country as soon as possible before then to return to your home. 

Yes every country is different. For instance, I've been told that in America, they are NOt extending tourist visas due to the current situation. Some people like to bitch about how bad Thailand is, yet there is still time to announce what will happen after July 31, it just hasn't happened yet.

2 hours ago, at15 said:

Now I remember you saying in the threads in March when people were trying to do visa runs out that you were going to Japan to ride it out there. How has it been?

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

That's speculation. Let's see what actually happens. Laos never had an amnesty but has been allowing 1 month extensions for a fee. I highly doubt Thailand will be kicking everyone out. let's end with the baseless conspiracy theories and wait for an announcement. Vietnam extended it's amnesty in the last minute from June 30 to July 31, though I understand there has been a separate system where you can pay for an extension.

I don't think I am giving a conspiracy theory. I am just pointing out that many places are allowing one way or another for people to stay. Maybe my reply was to extreme. Laos is just the standard $2 a day overstay. I am certainly waiting for an announcement as well. Have good one.

21 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I don't think I am giving a conspiracy theory. I am just pointing out that many places are allowing one way or another for people to stay. Maybe my reply was to extreme. Laos is just the standard $2 a day overstay. I am certainly waiting for an announcement as well. Have good one.

Well Laos is still tolerating the overstays then. That's not really better than what Thailand is doing.

Let's wait and see what Thailand announces. Vietnam only extended it's amnesty in the very last minute. Thailand will hopefully not be so daft. My guess is we'll know more next week.

• Like 1