Stranded Aussie expats told it could take “weeks, if not months” to return to Thailand

webfact

Just reading latest on travel insurance ' it is highly unlikely that you will get travel insurance to cover against COVID19'

If that is true the world is still closed unless people are willing to take a risk. Definitely no entry to the Kingdom.

Thailand should be congratulated on the containment of the diseases.

Thailand is probably the safest place in the world right now so they have no reason to allow others into the Kingdom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Imagine needing permission from your government to leave your own country?

:bah:

That's what Australia is like. Imagine the situation for those who do not have a Thai partner or child? 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

But look at why the OZ gov't is trying to stop Australians going out*, the vast majority of new incidence of positive people is folks, including Australian citizens, coming in and testing positive.

So the OZ gov't decided lets try to slow down folks going out and therefore not returning positive. 

Also note that overall Australians are much more inclined to follow laws etc., and have an expectation that all citizens will respect and follow the law, as opposed to Americans who don't see (don't want to see) the bigger picture just scream about amendments and personal likes etc.

* The 'can't leave' rule is not absolute, there are many reasons on the list whereby Australians can claim exemption. Just one is folks who have a home in another country and/or have official permanent resident status of the other country. Need to continue medical treatment in the other country also, and there's a number of other factors on the official exemption list. 

"...as opposed to Americans who don't see (don't want to see) the bigger picture just scream about amendments and personal likes etc.".

Your generalization of the more than 330 million Americans shows your slanted view of those multiples of millions who do obey the law and see the "bigger picture". 

The USA is certainly not perfect and is experiencing some difficult times and I certainly admire the 26 million Australians who are inclined to follow the letter of the law in all areas.

Such universal adherence and obeyance must be the reason there are no prisons, criminal courts or police in Australia. A perfect society has no need for such things, unlike us Americans.

15 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

Just returning to the penal colony it was, back to its roots!

A great penal colony it is too, can't ever imagine why the clowns sent prisoners to Australia and kept England for the Gentry? :cheesy: 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pmk1000 said:

Wannabe expats what are you on? The topic is talking about people! People who are separated from loved ones, their wife children, which is disturbing to say the least. Real expats, I assume you are talking about people such as yourself? Not everyone are as quick witted, as yourself! Not everyone saw this coming for what it is, and the consequences resulting from it.

If they were truly "loved ones" they wouldn't have left them in the 1st place during a deadly virus situation which was known since the beginning of January!! they had 3 months to come back to their so-called "loved ones" before the borders closed in early April. No sympathy for the stupid.

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

confused. why in the first place travel alone to your "own" country, and leave Thai family and child alone? if traveling and staying alone wasnt a probpem before, pls dont let it suddenly be a problem or blame the Thai governement.

+1, agreed fully.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I've lived there full time for over 25 years so don't consider myself a "wannabe" expat. Some of us had to leave for work overseas, so didn't have a choice to get back before the airports closed. Everyone's situation is different and not as black and white as some TV members think. 

Those people made their choice to chase the all mighty dollar. Live with the decision like a man and don't bitch about it like a little sissy.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

My thoughts too. Not to forget those who had to be in Australia due a family member being seriously ill, a funeral, to make a government appointment for pension purposes, a medical procedure and the list goes on.

Well said!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoComment said:

Just reading latest on travel insurance ' it is highly unlikely that you will get travel insurance to cover against COVID19'

If that is true the world is still closed unless people are willing to take a risk. Definitely no entry to the Kingdom.

Thailand is probably the safest place in the world right now so they have no reason to allow others into the Kingdom.

Spot on

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Of course you had a choice not to go to work. 

It was obvious since the end of Feb that the borders might close and the Thai Centre for Disease Control issued regular updates. 

Spot on with that comment. They made their decision. Now own it like a man and don't bitch about it like a little girl.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What rubbish. 

I guess you have all factors of your existence in perfect order and nothing could ver go wrong in any way and you are so well organized that nothing could ever interrupt your utopian existence. 

I don't believe you.

Sounds like you're one of those who are stuck aboard away from your "loved ones" who decided not to come back? You have your chance to come back now, Thailand is accepting foreigners to return so no need to whine anymore.

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, pmk1000 said:

Wannabe expats what are you on? The topic is talking about people! People who are separated from loved ones, their wife children, which is disturbing to say the least. Real expats, I assume you are talking about people such as yourself? Not everyone are as quick witted, as yourself! Not everyone saw this coming for what it is, and the consequences resulting from it. A lot of people have children from previous marriages who they would be concerned about, aging family etc. There are a multitude of reasons why an expat may have delayed travel, in my opinion they are just as real as your perfect self.

Well done PMK--- nice to see there are some sensible people with a bit of compassion

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Stranded Aussie expats told it could take “weeks, if not months” to return to Thailand

...and the foreign tourists will come flocking back to Thailand this year...well according to TAT.  ????

3 hours ago, NoComment said:

250 pound each in the UK for covid insurance 

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

250 pound each in the UK for covid insurance 

I was about to ask ( anyone ) know how much for the insurance so thanks.

Is that a quote for a holiday, say a few weeks or for a longer term stay.

Hope you don't mind the question.

Edited by overherebc

Ambassador translated. They don't want you here. Why do you want torcher yourselves. Who need a pair of rocket shoes to get back in. Army no speak the English.

New street signs in production in Chinese. Free Dim sum on arrival and pressure washer spray down.

• Haha 1

A farce and the evil Pinnochio strikes again on his quest to remove farangs. What's wrong your education level has not allowed you to accept English. You are not the future of Thailand. Your the end of Thailand... if you made it any harder you brain would explode. We can only prey.

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Imagine needing permission from your government to leave your own country?

:bah:

The reasoning is I believe that when this Covid business, kicked off many people ignored government advice not to travel, became stranded in various places then expected the government to get them home.

Also any citizens returning to Australia have to go into 2 weeks quarantine and unlike Thailand this is paid for by the government.

There are a few countries around the world that during “ normal times” will not let you leave without permission not too hard to think which they are.

28 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I was about to ask ( anyone ) know how much for the insurance so thanks.

Is that a quote for a holiday, say a few weeks or for a longer term stay.

Hope you don't mind the question.

There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago with a chart listing the costs for obtaining the cover in Thailand it is aged based and from memory for someone 65 -70 years about 90,000 baht for one year there was no provision for a shorter period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoComment said:

I don’t know about travel insurance but companies here have been offering cover for one year as I stated in a post above.

I have medical/ hospital insurance with Alliance that covers me worldwide and they have confirmed it includes Covid.