'Worst-case' UK winter could see 120,000 COVID deaths in second wave

webfact

1 hour ago, tiocfaidh said:

I hope you are correct and Oxford will find a vaccine. The fact that we have not found a vaccine for any of the coronavirus, MERS, SARS etc. worries me.

I offered myself to Oxford for the trials as I'm 55 and only 30 miles away. Didn't get the gig ????

Think they're gonna get the 'volunteers' from Blackbird Leys....????

ha ha ha there wont be a 2nd wave,that means a wave as big or larger than the initial one.the cases are going up and deaths down at an unreal rate ,when it gets a bit higher we will see the rates of death resemble very closely those of flu,consider the many who have had it or have it with small or no symptoms plus others who stayed in abed a few days,this is getting absurd.when tests go outside the people reporting sick or working in hospitals the death rate will plummet and .....well whos gonna pay for it....us !!!and who will be responsible? well dont look at WHO china or our govts,they just dont have the time .theyre too busy telling us what to do.theyll try and spin panic us with their buddies on MSM but we may not wear it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The scaremongering never stops, does it?

Sadly, IMO, there are plenty of scared people lapping it up.

People should not be scared if they know that their government is doing the right thing.

SECOND WAVE

South Korea had won international praise for their prompt social distancing action and ruthless efficiency in tracking and tracing, which appeared to quickly get the virus under control.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric Loh said:

People should not be scared if they know that their government is doing the right thing.

SECOND WAVE

South Korea had won international praise for their prompt social distancing action and ruthless efficiency in tracking and tracing, which appeared to quickly get the virus under control.

Perhaps so, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

My mate lives in Seoul and tells me that it is really not as intrusive or restrictive as you might think. I get regular photos from him down the pub so life goes on there as it hasn't been doing in the UK. 

I lived in Singapore in the 70s and loved it so that's not it. Just don't want to live in a country that could be at war any time soon.

• Like 2

From HMG yesterday:

The 5th set of data demonstrates a huge improvement in turnaround times of test results. Anyone getting a test at a regional test site or mobile testing unit can expect their results by the next day at the latest, with 91% of tests returned in less than 24 hours, and 97.5% of tests returned the day after the test was taken over the week of 25 June to 1 July. At the end of May, 16.6% of tests at regional test sites and 2.5% of tests at mobile testing units were returned in under 24 hours.

More than 144,000 people who may have been at risk of unknowingly spreading the virus have been reached by the service and asked to self-isolate....

97.5% of in-person coronavirus (COVID-19) tests returned next day

7 hours ago, tiocfaidh said:

I hope you are correct and Oxford will find a vaccine. The fact that we have not found a vaccine for any of the coronavirus, MERS, SARS etc. worries me.

I offered myself to Oxford for the trials as I'm 55 and only 30 miles away. Didn't get the gig ????

You were lucky.