China warns UK: 'Dumping' Huawei will cost you

webfact

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

From which we come to the conclusion there are too many people on earth. You only need enough to operate a functioning society and with robots, that'll be less. A lot less. Like 3/4 of the current world population less. 

China will be a loser in the 4th industrial revolution, since robots are cheaper than peasants and you need far less logistics and won't have to support commie regimes (Unless somebody puts a Marx virus into SkyNet). 

Lots of posters here seem to be opining like it's the year 2000 or even earlier

What does it tell you that China is now the world's largest market for automobiles? Do you think that a nation the economy of which mainly depended on producing low value goods could afford to be purchasing automobiles on such a large scale? Your notion of an economy powered mainly by peasant labor is long past its due date.

11 minutes ago, galenflagler said:

Do you think that a nation the economy of which mainly depended on producing low value goods could afford to be purchasing automobiles on such a large scale? 

Over 1B people, if none would able to buy a car it really would be Mao time again. All authoritarian regimes like to beat the drum on how large and healthy their middle class is - it's domestic propaganda.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Over 1B people, if none would able to buy a car it really would be Mao time again. All authoritarian regimes like to beat the drum on how large and healthy their middle class is - it's domestic propaganda.

It's not a matter of propaganda that China is the largest automobile market in the world. Anyway, China is no longer classified as a developing nations Economist now call it a middle income nation. One way we know this is that low value-added business such as the garment industry have been abandoning China for Vietnam and Bangladesh. Labor has gotten too expensive in China.

China  going to have lots of problems making it to the ranks of the economically developed nations.  Money losing government subsidized business are taking a larger share of the economy. And they're being subsidized not just by the government but by banks and private businesses at the none too subtle insistence of the government. But that's a different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Strange how "the people" want to buy junk from China at cheap prices, but complain when their aren't any factory jobs for people to do and unemployment rises.

It's not strange at all. People can have different wishes, or even hold conflicting ones. That usually the can't have it all or both ways, it another matter. People also fail to acknowledge, or even outright deny obvious connections between causes and effects, facts and whole lot of other things.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Never underestimate the lure of commercial greed.

Even after I was detained by China police demanding I reveal intranet passwords, my company continued to do business in China, basically because they wanted the money that was to be made. It rather sickened me a little. 

I often speculated how my CEO would have reacted to being in that detention cell for 3 days!

When I went to work every day in Zhangjiang I'd pass the huge German Center, and a host of other Western company buildings. I'd wonder if any of them would have qualms about dealing with China. 

And the answer clearly was NO

Well I expect your pay way good .... ???? ... as it is for most expats working in China ... and quite a few of them in China .....  I assume you did not get water boarded or had electrode fitted to precious body parts ... Detention for 3 days at full company pay ..... 

On 7/25/2020 at 12:33 AM, Morch said:

It's not strange at all. People can have different wishes, or even hold conflicting ones. That usually the can't have it all or both ways, it another matter. People also fail to acknowledge, or even outright deny obvious connections between causes and effects, facts and whole lot of other things.

I actually agree with that.

People run out to buy the latest designer shoe or phone and rarely think about how it was made by some peasant living in worker barracks and paid a pittance so some corporate CEO can make multi millions of $. I don't know if it's actual ignorance or if it's wilful ignorance.

However I do despair for the soul of humanity that so many consign the exploited of other countries to their fate as long as they can get what they covet cheaply.

• Like 1