Too-tight virus policy is strangling Thai economy, experts warn

webfact

10 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Certainly not the case here in Hua Hin. Last night at least 90% of Thais were walking along without masks, only putting them on when they had to enter any premises. As for social distancing, lots of local restaurants with eight round a table all eating from the same four dishes on the table. I think everyone is getting tired of the rules and restrictions. 

Who can blame them when they have been led to believe that Thailand has become completely free of the virus which it is not. This is excepting the quarantined cases and the very recent 2 cases allowed in without quarantine. Beware! The virus is still out there:

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/new-evidence-casts-doubts-on-accuracy-of-thailands-official-coronavirus-statistics/?fbclid=IwAR2C21qQzEn__6z6JEypSqCLqhYGWmiPwFcn78MAst1yjDoPQcbFP17WY60

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Isn't it a different much more contagious strain that spread throughout Europe, the US and most of South America right now compared to whatever was circulating in Thailand late 2019 / early 2020?

Nope! Not true! Scientists and evidence have refuted this long ago. I cant be arsed but feel free to check my previous posts to find the link.

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

...the disease and we now know it spreads much quicker these days.

No we dont know and no it doesnt spread much quicker these days! If u have knowledge with evidence to the contrary please provide the links.

• Like 2

Thailand  has been very lucky  with this virus I dont think anything to do with  Gov  or  testing  or  control  ...just plane lucky

Perhaps  climax  has  something to do with this  NO ONE HAS A  REAL  ANSWER  WHY ?

If Thai  figures are  really correct   you are  very lucky  

Ok try the  tourist  back  your need the money  ....but  if  you get infections  I feel  your climate  will  kill iy again  

Virus  seem to like cool  weather

You need  to address  your  road  deaths  Thailand    not  worry  so much about  the Virus in your  country 

I  live in Qld  AU  all hot  northern  states  now  virus  free  

but  the cold  states  south  had Virus  running  ramped ..so   perhaps  TOO HOT  THEORY  IS  CORRECT  

TRY  YOUR TOURIST  GET YOUR  JOBS  BACK  THE  LIVES YOU LOSE IF YOU GET  VIRUS  WILL BE NOTHING  COMPARED  TO YOUR  ROAD  DEATHS ...

Good Luck Thailand  

I  would love to come see my wife but your  policy  for a visit are  just too over the top 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, american2 said:

If the country wants to gamble...If tourists bring the virus back   how many more infections will they produce.

Seems to me Thais base their life around gambling. 555, 777.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

Thailand  has been very lucky  with this virus I dont think anything to do with  Gov  or  testing  or  control  ...just plane lucky

Perhaps  climax  has  something to do with this  NO ONE HAS A  REAL  ANSWER  WHY ?

If Thai  figures are  really correct   you are  very lucky  

Ok try the  tourist  back  your need the money  ....but  if  you get infections  I feel  your climate  will  kill iy again  

Virus  seem to like cool  weather

You need  to address  your  road  deaths  Thailand    not  worry  so much about  the Virus in your  country 

I  live in Qld  AU  all hot  northern  states  now  virus  free  

but  the cold  states  south  had Virus  running  ramped ..so   perhaps  TOO HOT  THEORY  IS  CORRECT  

TRY  YOUR TOURIST  GET YOUR  JOBS  BACK  THE  LIVES YOU LOSE IF YOU GET  VIRUS  WILL BE NOTHING  COMPARED  TO YOUR  ROAD  DEATHS ...

Good Luck Thailand  

I  would love to come see my wife but your  policy  for a visit are  just too over the top 

Must have been the heat and, although slow starting and the almost complete lack of testing, a good ongoing response from the Thai government learning from and copying the successful surrounding countrie's responses which was the right thing to do. (Unlike the appalling and unbelievably incompetant know it all response of my UK government and it's so-called scientific experts.!!!) I also wonder if Thais not being a 'touchy/feely' race also helped. Wai-ing and traditional Thai male's and female's having largely seperate cultures, as they used to have in the West, and a discouragement of physical contact in public between couples and between people generally I think; even between mothers and children. There seems to be little cuddling or hand holding, even when crossing the road. Mind u, I suppose the food sharing probably largely negates this...555.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

“Initially, we could limit foreign arrivals as per the capacity of the healthcare system to handle new cases of perhaps 20-30 a day. We could open up to more visitors as the TTI capacity was upgraded,” he suggested.

20-30 a day? 

47 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Just like Spain, Greece, and Italy have realised the potential economic catastrophe without tourists and already, maybe too soon, opened up to UK tourists, Thailand will have to also open up to tourists when the economic s h i t hits the proverbial fan. Because economic collapse will cause more deaths than the virus.

If Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines open up before Thailand, The country will find it hard to get tourism back on the scale it was before as these tourists will see how much further their money goes in these countries compared to Thailand. Thailand could be losing out on potentially billions of Dollars/Pounds/Euros.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Just like Spain, Greece, and Italy have realised the potential economic catastrophe without tourists and already, maybe too soon, opened up to UK tourists, Thailand will have to also open up to tourists when the economic s h i t hits the proverbial fan. Because economic collapse will cause more deaths than the virus.

Bet you 1000thb it doesn't open for tourists while COVID-19 is still a threat.

Thailand may operate so-called travel bubbles but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience for the tourists and the numbers will be insignificant.

My rationale is that this government is authoritarian in nature and cannot afford to have a major outbreak here. We have witnessed the panic that a single case in Rayong caused as the evidence.

In many ways they have become victims of their own success with the virus.

Opening the doors and just throwing caution to the wind to chase the tourist Baht is pure fantasy I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

If Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines open up before Thailand, The country will find it hard to get tourism back on the scale it was before as these tourists will see how much further their money goes in these countries compared to Thailand. Thailand could be losing out on potentially billions of Dollars/Pounds/Euros.

Talk of Cambodia becoming a tourism hub is fantasist nonsense unfortunately.

Cambodia is probably more difficult and certainly more expensive to enter than Thailand at the moment, and it will never come close to what Thailand has to offer to the visitor. I say that as a lover of the country and a frequent visitor since 1998. Mostly ruined now by the Chinese unfortunately, so that window of opportunity has been missed. Even the Chinese have stopped going since the gambling laws changed.

It has become a haven for expat losers that couldn't hang on in Pattaya. Smoking dope in grubby little beer bars, drinking Angkor beer out of cans and bitterly moaning about Thailand seems to be their forte. 

Sihanoukville, the once proud jewel of the backpacker tourism destinations in South East Asia now resembles a West African town after a nuclear apocalypse.

Cambodia has higher crime, is far more dangerous (even on the roads it is on a par with Thailand), is full of foreign criminals and waisters, stinks of garbage and is dusty and dirty on a level that would make Lagos seem inhabitable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CLS said:

Only the urge to make money will bring them to reason.
But Thais have been brainwashed for 4 months and the evil foreigner was made a scapegoat for their misery. What will it take to reverse this process?

forgot to take your pills today?

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Talk of Cambodia becoming a tourism hub is fantasist nonsense unfortunately.

Cambodia is probably more difficult and certainly more expensive to enter than Thailand at the moment, and it will never come close to what Thailand has to offer to the visitor. I say that as a lover of the country and a frequent visitor since 1998. Mostly ruined now by the Chinese unfortunately, so that window of opportunity has been missed. Even the Chinese have stopped going since the gambling laws changed.

It has become a haven for expat losers that couldn't hang on in Pattaya. Smoking dope in grubby little beer bars, drinking Angkor beer out of cans and bitterly moaning about Thailand seems to be their forte. 

Sihanoukville, the once proud jewel of the backpacker tourism destinations in South East Asia now resembles a West African town after a nuclear apocalypse.

Cambodia has higher crime, is far more dangerous (even on the roads it is on a par with Thailand), is full of foreign criminals and waisters, stinks of garbage and is dusty and dirty on a level that would make Lagos seem inhabitable.

"bitterly moaning about Thailand." Seems like many Thaivisa farangs would feel at home there. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

If u really want to safe lives then mandatory replace cars for horses.

That's a whole different matter completely unrelated and a very poor argument for your inital statement. 

Addition....Borne out by the stupid face below ????

Edited by bipper
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Col said:

If I cannot return to Thailand for the Winter, one of those countries is where I will be going.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

Until and when a vaccine will be found there are no other safe ways to contain the virus and stam the pandemic, if there was, every other country in the world would have done it already... so do what many others governments did, pay and support people and business to sit home... 

So, never then. The vaccine for the flu is less than 50% effective and how many year's has the flu been around? Where's the vaccines for H1N1, SARS, MERS, HIV etc? Big pharma will throw some concoction together (with probably less than 50% effective), call it a vaccine and get rich while every country will require traveler's to get the "vaccine" based on the kickbacks they receive from big pharma. Covid-19 will be a thing of the past and everyone will be happy until the next "pandemic" comes along. Always follow the money!

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Until and when a vaccine will be found there are no other safe ways to contain the virus and stam the pandemic, if there was, every other country in the world would have done it already... so do what many others governments did, pay and support people and business to sit home... 

With whose money?

Edited by woogoo
grammar correction
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TD2312 said:

So, never then. The vaccine for the flu is less than 50% effective and how many year's has the flu been around? Where's the vaccines for H1N1, SARS, MERS, HIV etc? Big pharma will throw some concoction together (with probably less than 50% effective), call it a vaccine and get rich while every country will require traveler's to get the "vaccine" based on the kickbacks they receive from big pharma. Covid-19 will be a thing of the past and everyone will be happy until the next "pandemic" comes along. Always follow the money!

Flu is 50% , others are 30% , others are 80% , and even some are 100% ( not many , most vaccines are in the area or 50 to 70% immunity) . There who are given the vaccine for a certain disease , and are in that ratio of working , will not spread the disease further , less infected persons , makes it go away ...

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hi Bill, stop preaching this nonsense. Scaremongering.  Despite opening up in many countries, all ok there. 

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I like Cambodia, but there's no VISA's to be had for there.

And I like Vietnam, no VISAs on sale for there either.

Nowhere I want to go is letting any foreigners in at the moment.

But I guess somethings got to change soon, or the natives will become restless, and governments will wobble. 

Correct. Which only leaves Europe then.