Bangkok motorcycle incidents: Thai police exonerate themselves and blame the riders

webfact

Bangkok motorcycle incidents: Thai police exonerate themselves and blame the riders

3pm_VI.jpg

The national police spokesman has said that the RTP are not guilty of being heavy handed at checkpoints. 

The comments come after a man filmed the activities of the Phrakhanong police in Soi On Nut, sub soi 41, in Bangkok. 

One motorcyclist ended up colliding with another vehicle while a second also ended up on the ground. 

The man filming said: There you go, that's police behavior for you!

He appeared to find all this quite amusing. 

The cases reached the national Thai news amid claims that the police overstep their authority at checkpoints in Thailand. 

Not a bit of it, said RTP spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattancharoen, the motorcyclists were to blame. 

He said that both were trying to flee the scene after they were requested to stop.

The riders accepted this and were not making a case against the police.

Sanook said in a caption to their picture that the cases had "turned on their heads".

The officers involved were part of a contingent of traffic police from the Phrakhanong station who had set up operations to deter street racing and crime on 14th July at 8pm, said Pol Col Krissana. 

He urged motorists to obey the police and drive sensibly.

Source: Sanook

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

So guy was fleeing checkpoint and police put him on the ground. And now it's a big news. I hope this doesn't mean we are heading here into American model, where you can't lately even look bad at criminal while he is cutting your throat to not to offend him. ????

Looking at the video, particularly the second incident, it doesn't look like the policeman makes any attempt to get him to stop, just knocks him down. There's no visible checkpoint in the video, just a policeman walking out into the traffic.

• Like 2

If one of those riders where not wearing a crash helmet and hit their head on the kerb  they could have been killed..in the video they mention that there was an incident last year at the same spot involving police and a "big bike"   there where other incidents when the police kicked riders from their bikes causing serious injury and I'm pretty sure at least one death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

I'm a biker in BKK. There are checkpoints for a reason and ok so that reason might be tea money but if you're not drunk, have a licence and are able to be polite for 2 minutes of your life, then there's no reason not to stop. I fI got a ticket for 1% of the times I broke the law it would be a fair deal. Even 10%.

But if you race away, how are the cops supposed to know that you're not a fugitive or carrying drugs or something? And if they decide to chase you and others get hurt in the chase, then who's to blame?

This is exactly the way I see it.. 

In fact, I’ve been stopped 3 times by the Police while riding a Motorcycle in Bangkok. 

Once I was going down the centre of Vibhavadi Rd (cars only) - it cost me 100B 

The other two times at check points I wasn’t even asked for my licence. I was just asked where I was going and then waved along - they weren’t interested in me. 

I’m sure the Police are targeting horns on thin wheeled scooters in Bangkok, they’re not really bothered about other motorcyclists (and scooterists !) going about their daily lives. 

On the other hand, it seems the Police in Pattaya are running an absolute racket - pulling over anyone and everyone with the sense of entitlement that ‘everyone pays’ especially if you are a foreigner. Well judging by the posts I read on here anyway. 

BUT - IF You have a full licence, your bike is taxed and road legal and you have not been breaking any road laws, there is no reason not to stop for the sake of 2 mins. 

Of course, the issue is not that clear cut. 

The Police often set up the road blocks to catch the motorcyclist out. 

I’m at a loss for words for the times I’ve crested a hill or driven around a corner to see traffic backed up for a Police Checkpoint positioned in an incredibly dangerous location. 

I can see why this is a growing issue with the BiB becoming evermore desperate to top up their pockets. Also, at the same time, motorcyclists are an easy target as so many don’t have a licence, are riding without helmets or while drunk. 

This is an issue whereby both the Police and the Motorcyclists are complicit. 

With respect to the supposed ex copper from the UK. If you stepped into the road and held up your hand for someone to stop, you would expect to be obeyed.

Road Traffic Act 1988

163.   Power of police to stop vehicles

(1).  A person driving a motor vehicle on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform.

(2).  A person riding a cycle on a road must stop the cycle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform.

(3).  If a person fails to comply with this section he is guilty of an offence.

Also in the UK, so called scooter bandits get run off the road by the Police. Villains get pursued by the Police for failing to stop.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

If that is a properly run checkpoint, for 30 years as a Policeman in the UK I had been doing it wrong 

With respect - any checkpoints in the UK (I’ve never seen one) are not set up with the sole purpose of extorting money from the general public. 

At any checkpoint the general pubic stop and don’t attempt to flee the shakedown. 

• Like 2

We used to see SLRs pointed at people in Northern Ireland checkpoints. Safety catch off, finger on trigger. Same in other conflict areas with checkpoints. In the US, some law enforcement organisations would likely have no problem with opening fire if it was safe to do so. 

Best stop when asked by an authorised person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

We used to see SLRs pointed at people in Northern Ireland checkpoints. Safety catch off, finger on trigger. Same in other conflict areas with checkpoints. In the US, some law enforcement organisations would likely have no problem with opening fire if it was safe to do so. 

Best stop when asked by an authorised person.

Sorry but were you ever a soldier in Northern Ireland? I find your statement very bizarre. Having spent a total of 2 and a half years of my life as a British soldier on the streets of NI patrolling, carrying out Snap VCP's and spending weeks at permanent VCP's I never once walked about with my weapon cocked or saw anyone else with a cocked weapon unless in a contact. In fact even on Op Corporate never walked about, patrolled or on stag had a cocked weapon. Note: you never point a weapon at anyone coming or leaving a check point unless a situation gives you cause to. Rules of engagement are strictly followed by all British Soldiers. I would have booted the <deleted> out of anyone I saw pointing a weapon loaded or even empty at anyone and did on one occasion.

• Like 1