Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

On 7/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, freesudani said:

Well im basically looking to extend my ED visa which expired during the amnesty ... they usually ask me to leave apply in a thai consulate and come back .... hope they just  extend it locally now.

I think the cabinet would need to mandate they do this 100% Legal Procedure w/o an agent-bribe, which is the status-quo.

On 7/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Why  not read it this  way.......Until   July 31st  people can choose to continue to sit  like  stunned  mullets under the current  amnesty.

Stunned?  Many of us tried to get an extension before our original permitted-stay ended.  We had the proven income, marriage-cert, wife with, etc - but denied.  They want 35-40K Baht from an agent.

Similar for those on Non-B Visa extensions, where they also want "grease" to do it.

On 7/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

But From 1st August until 26t September is  to be added so people  can un-stun and   do something  about legitimizing  stay  or make plans to exit ? But  either way there is approx 8.5 weeks  to  do it !

Will the cabinet be ordering the Singapore Police, or some other 3rd party, to investigate Immigration, and weed out the bad-guys - so we can obtain our valid-extensions w/o taking part in a crime?  

Will they at least ban any "agents," "visa-lawyers" and "visa-accountants" (i.e. "fixers"), who are the key to the corruption?   If they try to fleece us directly, we can nail all of them with hidden mics/cameras, if that is done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

@innosiem@BritManToo

I don't think you need 400k in the bank to get a 60 days extension. Only if you want an annual extension.

thanks for the advice, you are correct, you do not need 400k for 60 day extension,
hence i have not mentioned it
having 400k in the bank is a non issue for myself as it already here

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You'd need to put 400k/800k in a Thai bank before September if you wanted a legit extension.

That's a lot of money to move on the 'off chance'.

If another country (Cambodia/Vietnam/Philippines) opens up in that time, I'd probably just dump my family and move there. I've had enough of Thailand and their totally corrupt immigration and government.

I've already paid $200 for a VISA, don't really want to pay another $600 (25k) for the same VISA but in extension form, don't really want to put 25,000 pounds in a Thai bank.

I know there's a lot of old guys that want to hang on, no matter what Thai immigration think up to get rid of them, but I've had enough, I just want somewhere easier to live.

not really true 
as i could move funds IN September before applying for 60 day extension at the end of Sept, if i needed to
and funds would only be needed if i intend to apply for a 1 year extension, which is uncertain at this stage
funds are not needed for 60 day extension
but it is all irrelevant to myself
as i already have the 400k here

i too always need a break from here, hence why i stay on ME visas

Edited by innosiem

2 hours ago, innosiem said:

same here,
but seems can now get a 60 day extension in September
which should see you/me through til November
at which point borders may be open and flights may have resumed
(hopefully September more than November)
if not then the 1 year extension then becomes the road to take

I would not be surprised if that this is the final option immigration is targetting for many in your case to take ....the 1 year ext. As is the simplest procedure with 800K/ 400Kmoney in Thai bank for them and applicants.

(By your own ..or by "agent " ( ! €£$)

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

I would not be surprised if that this is the final option immigration is targetting for many in your case to take ....the 1 year ext. As is the simplest procedure with 800K/ 400Kmoney in Thai bank for them and applicants.

(By your own ..or by "agent " ( ! €£$)

Agreed, extra funds in the bank count as extra money in the economy
all depends if borders etc. open back up as normal or not
personally i see 2020 as the start of a long winter
so who knows what the future holds
i have all the options myself, so if i must i must, but lets see what the choices are when the choice must be made
for now it seems we still have time to wait and see how things develop before making a decision on which road to take

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

@innosiem@BritManToo

I don't think you need 400k in the bank to get a 60 days extension. Only if you want an annual extension.

If you get a 60 day extension, and don't have 800/400k in the bank, you won't have the option for a legit 1 year extension at the end of the 60 days.

Do you really think any borders will be open later this year?

I wish I'd stayed in Cambodia where all I needed for another year was $300.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

If you get a 60 day extension, and don't have 800/400k in the bank, you won't have the option for a legit 1 year extension at the end of the 60 days.

Yes.

2 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Agreed, extra funds in the bank count as extra money in the economy
all depends if borders etc. open back up as normal or not
personally i see 2020 as the start of a long winter
so who knows what the future holds
i have all the options myself, so if i must i must, but lets see what the choices are when the choice must be made
for now it seems we still have time to wait and see how things develop before making a decision on which road to take

Yes, but descision time is limited to 2 month + , and advice would be to keep an eye on flight to book in last resort as many shall strech this elastic leaniance to the end with flight availble problems because a late rush .....better in such case to book a flex flight who can be canceled by the foreigner and taking a voucher .... it is all a by "options time " now 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Yes, but descision time is limited to 2 month + , and advice would be to keep an eye on flight to book in last resort as many shall strech this elastic leaniance to the end with flight availble problems because a late rush .....better in such case to book a flex flight who can be canceled by the foreigner and taking a voucher .... it is all a by "options time " now 

Also ...... there's a lot of flights being cancelled after you've bought a ticket (and no refunds).

How many 1,000 pound flights (to places I don't want to go) do I book before I can get on one that actually flies?

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

personally, my decision time will be just a few seconds
as and when i actually choose to make my decision
we have upto 2 months to observe while we contemplate our options before deciding????
(same same but different????)

i think it will be an easy 6 weeks from now before i actually decide what i am going to do (announcement pending of course)
hopefully by then we might have a few more options
my preference would actually be to go somewhere else for a month or two where i can enter a shop or restaurant without a muzzle
and then return (before visa expires in Nov)

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Also ...... there's a lot of flights being cancelled after you've bought a ticket (and no refunds).

How many 1,000 pound flights (to places I don't want to go) do I book before I can get on one that actually flies?

The flights leaving Thailand are not cancelled …. at least the European destinations …. I mean like  the single flights KLM had 3 a week in July ….. and refunds in form of voucher are now obliged (can take a while of course …) 

If booking or looking the normal flight schedule ….yes those are most just earning cash flow .... look in the single flight only for booking  !!

4 minutes ago, innosiem said:

we have upto 2 months to observe while we contemplate our options before deciding????

i think it will be an easy 6 weeks from now before i actually decide what i am going to do (announcement pending of course)
hopefully by then we might have a few more options
my preference would actually be to go somewhere else for a month or two where i can enter a shop or restaurant without a muzzle
and then return (before visa expires in Nov)

O.K. you look like a gambler ….. could be fine  ….

But ...what if all you hope or expect  is not so ?…. do you have plan B or even C  ready or planned  ??

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, innosiem said:

For people without 400/800k in a bank ....... there are no legal VISA options after the start of a 60 day extension.

Bribe or leave are your only choices.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

For people without 400/800k in a bank ....... there are no legal VISA options after the start of a 60 day extension.

if you do not meet the financial requirements, that is not my concern????‍♂️
plenty of time to transfer funds before applying for the 60 day extension if you have the funds
whether 1 year is preferred or not, and much cheaper to just make a few monthly transfers starting now if you need
and would basically cost you just the transfer fees if you just keep circling the same 40k
if you cannot meet the financial requirements, and cannot get another extension or visa
of course then the other option is to leave 
but if borders have reopened before then end of 60 day extension which you could make be late November,
it is likely you may be able to leave and return, providing you can meet any requirements

no point trying to decide what to do, until you actually have to decide what to do
no point getting extensions asap (as some on TVF state)
when you have time to wait to see what options become available

If you do not have 400k lump or 40k monthly income
according to Thai gov, you do not have adequate funds to remain here for 1 year
which is understandable.

56 minutes ago, david555 said:

O.K. you look like a gambler ….. could be fine  ….

But ...what if all you hope or expect  is not so ?…. do you have plan B or even C  ready or planned  ??

i rarely gamble in the sense
but everything in life is risk vs reward, nothing is guaranteed, so every choice is a gamble????

i do have options:
get 60 day extension mid-late Sept and see whats what
failing no flights, borders, return back to normal etc, i can apply for 1 year extension
failing that i just fly somewhere else and stay there until can return without 2 weeks imprisonment etc.

Edited by innosiem

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

400K/800K money-in-bank is only one of the 4 methods that can be used to meet the financial requirements for a 1-year extension of stay (or for a change of Visa, when having arrived VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa).

Agree that the Embassy statement method is ruled out when you are a US, UK or Australian citizen.

And agree that at some IOs it will not be possible to use another method than the 400K/800K money-in-bank when the IO requires an Embassy certified pension-statement when using the   40K/65K monthly-income transfer method.

But stating that 'bribe or leave' is your only option when not being able to get the 400K/800K after your 60-day (or 30-day) extension has been started or used already, is not correct.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Ranshoko said:

Many taking advantage of the situation

Ok, tough guy. Please report to the RTA for your honorary conscription and rifle, to put us all to your firing squad. With that kind of attitude, you're obviously one of the good farangs who deserves to stay, and everything else in life.

For the rest of you less psychotic folks, many of us are hardly taking advantage of the situation. We have legitimate reasons for being here, yet have been held up by paperwork. Many for marriage, many for work, and many like me who are teachers. One of the documents I need for my Non-B is an affidavit from my embassy. I tried to get it back in February. That's when the virus got going and lockdowns began. The US Embassy mostly shut down and quit providing many services. I kept checking and they said they didn't know when they would start them again.

Then finally last month, they began taking emergency requests. The first few times I was denied. I told them I needed it otherwise I'd lose my job, and would have to go back home to nothing. Then I was approved, and finally got it just last week. Next step now is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana, then my local immigration just outside of BKK, who should hopefully just accept everything during this final "grace period", without any further anguish. I already tried asking the MFA if there was anyway around this document, they said no, just keep waiting for my embassy, and that many were in my boat.

IMG_20200719_101635.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I wish I'd stayed in Cambodia where all I needed for another year was $300.

Agree with you. I don't think the borders will be open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, innosiem said:

if you do not meet the financial requirements, that is not my concern????‍♂️
plenty of time to transfer funds before applying for the 60 day extension if you have the funds
whether 1 year is preferred or not, and much cheaper to just make a few monthly transfers starting now if you need
and would basically cost you just the transfer fees if you just keep circling the same 40k
if you cannot meet the financial requirements, and cannot get another extension
of course then the other option is to leave 
but if borders have reopened before then end of 60 day extension which you could make be late November,
it is likely you may be able to leave and return, providing you can meet any requirements

no point trying to decide what to do, until you actually have to decide what to do
no point getting extensions asap (as some on TVF state)
when you have time to wait to see what options become available

If you do not have 400k lump or 40k monthly income
according to Thai gov, you do not have adequate funds to remain here for 1 year
which is understandable.

i rarely gamble in the sense
but everything in life is risk vs reward, nothing is guaranteed, so every choice is a gamble????

i do have options:
get 60 day extension mid-late Sept and see whats what
failing no flights, borders, return back to normal etc, i can apply for 1 year extension
failing that i just fly somewhere else and stay there until can return without 2 weeks imprisonment etc.

Do not forget to calculate the seasoning 2 months in your 1 year calculation …..

And for that cycling same 40 k ….. be aware they are also aware and can ask to see your bankbooks ….and if it is too  obvious showing …..!

Remember the I.O' s holding the magical stamp in their  hand and anything they don't like they can refuse …...

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

400K/800K money-in-bank is only one of the 4 methods that can be used to meet the financial requirements for a 1-year extension of stay (or for a change of Visa, when having arrived VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa).

Agree that the Embassy statement method is ruled out when you are a US, UK or Australian citizen.

And agree that at some IOs it will not be possible to use another method than the 400K/800K money-in-bank when the IO requires an Embassy certified pension-statement when using the   40K/65K monthly-income transfer method.

But stating that 'bribe or leave' is your only option when not being able to get the 400K/800K after your 60-day (or 30-day) extension has been started or used already, is not correct.

Should be complete if you mention (once more …) the other 3 options as some see it as very simple .....

18 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Ok, tough guy. Please report to the RTA for your honorary conscription and rifle, to put us all to your firing squad. With that kind of attitude, you're obviously one of the good farangs who deserves to stay, and everything else in life.

For the rest of you less psychotic folks, many of us are hardly taking advantage of the situation. We have legitimate reasons for being here, yet have been held up by paperwork. Many for marriage, many for work, and many like me who are teachers. One of the documents I need for my Non-B is an affidavit from my embassy. I tried to get it back in February. That's when the virus got going and lockdowns began. The US Embassy mostly shut down and quit providing many services. I kept checking and they said they didn't know when they would start them again.

Then finally last month, they began taking emergency requests. The first few times I was denied. I told them I needed it otherwise I'd lose my job, and would have to go back home to nothing. Then I was approved, and finally got it just last week. Next step now is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana, then my local immigration just outside of BKK, who should hopefully just accept everything during this final "grace period", without any further anguish. I already tried asking the MFA if there was anyway around this document, they said no, just keep waiting for my embassy, and that many were in my boat.

IMG_20200719_101635.jpg

O.K. now  for you ….. now you can join the good guy's like you described before, after all that hard bureaucracy work …." step away from that firing squad now " ….(said with tong in cheek … ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

Do not forget to calculate the seasoning 2 months in your 1 year calculation …..

And for that cycling same 40 k ….. be aware they are also aware and can ask to see your bankbooks ….and if it is too  obvious showing …..!

Remember the I.O' s holding the magical stamp in their  hand and anything they don't like they can refuse …...

again none of that applies to myself
i already have ample funds here
cycling the same 40k is pretty easy providing you have access to a few accounts 
i have not read any reports here from anyone that had regular 40k+ transfers from abroad
then being asked to provide the source of the funds from back home 
as long as funds are transferred in from abroad seems to satisfy immigration
but of course there are always exceptions
and again, not a route i myself need to take

1 minute ago, innosiem said:

i have not read any reports here from anyone that had regular 40k+ transfers from abroad

Than only keep attention for the 2 month's money  seasoning as time s limited to do from now …. Tik…..Tok 

54 minutes ago, innosiem said:

hether 1 year is preferred or not, and much cheaper to just make a few monthly transfers starting now if you need
if you cannot meet the financial requirements, and cannot get another extension or visa

Many IOs will refuse a 1 year extension on 40k/65k monthly income, unless you can show 1 years worth of transfers.

If you haven't been doing it for the last 8 months, it's too late now.

I have plenty of money in my UK bank, and that's where it's staying.

You may be wealthy enough to risk 25,000 pounds in a Thai bank, but I'm not.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Quite the opposite in my experience. Since the embassy letter option was removed Immigration have checked the source of funds on my monthly transfers. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DerekJ said:

I’ve been here on a marriage extension for years and I just called my local immigration Office about this and they said everything will be normal and exactly the same as last year. He said this is referring to tourists but the wording of this article is very vague but extensions are normal for long term visas I just asked my local office. 

Is there a prize for guessing your "local immigration Office" ?

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Quite the opposite in my experience. Since the embassy letter option was removed Immigration have checked the source of funds on my monthly transfers. 

checked the source how ?

please explain the details of process
what THEY required you to show them ?
(not what you shown without being asked)

not sure if pensions need be from pension but that's not what we are talking about
i have not heard (until now) of anyone being asked to provide origin of funds beyond that of them coming from abroad
you would also need a very low balance in your account back home
for them to say its the same funds

Edited by innosiem

14 hours ago, Eibot said:
23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Thai immigration rules and nomenclature for foreigners are historically fraught with home-grown misunderstandings such as some people not knowing of they are on a visa or an extension and not knowing the importance of the difference. Hence some degree of accuracy should be countenanced considering that most of the several thousand that found themselves stranded here for more than 4 months and have signed up here for information may have gotten to know the Thailand more than a zip line on Samui, a full moon on Koh Phangan or a spliff in Pai and may want to pitch a tent here rather than face quarantine and second-waves in their home countries.

If your that worried about potential misunderstandings then it would be better to wait for the official announcement instead of correcting other people on the interpretation of unofficial news.

Thanks for the consideration.

You go first.

Just now, NanLaew said:

Dumping the family because you disagree with a government's immigration policy.

Have you prior experience of doing this successfully?

Yes, dumped 4 kids in the UK back in 2009.

Came to Thailand and made some more ........ surprisingly easy as it turned out.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, dumped 4 kids in the UK back in 2009.

Came to Thailand and made some more ........ surprisingly easy as it turned out.

Just curious what part of the UK's immigration policy you disagreed with ?