Several signs of some type of extension of amnesty

42 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

ok, so you and me and hunny-bunny are all in the same boat.  we've got options to leave where we are now, but we've chosen not to avail ourselves of them...so we aren't actually stranded.  in your case, the us embassy in bangkok is confirming repatriation flights to the usa, and is offering loans to purchase flight tickets.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/07/16/screw-tightens-foreign-tourists-visa-expiry-date-of-july-31st/

Thanks, but I won't be needing any repatriation flights. If you check the BP article today you will see that Sept 26 amnesty to get a long stay visa or extension or leave to back home seems a done deal. I posted more specifics, but even without a link or direct quotes it was deemed in violation of forum rules and deleted. Please go there and check it out.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Thanks, but I won't be needing any repatriation flights. If you check the BP article today you will see that Sept 26 seems a done deal. I posted more specifics, but even without a link or direct quotes it was deemed in violation of forum rules and deleted. Please go there and check it out.

nothing's done until it's done.  even if passed in the same general form, there's still the specifics as to how it will be implemented.

important to note that after july 31st, it's tourists unable to leave thailand that will get those extensions.  i think many of the embassies have already announced they won't be providing letters of strandedness.

if it were me in that position, i'd be hoping for that extended grace period, but i'd be doing some serious planning in case of a 7-day get out of dodge stamp much earlier than anticipated.

Edited by ChouDoufu

For those who could be in the O category 50 years  , or are already …. remember for the 1 year ext.  the money 800K must be in Thai bank 2 month's …. up to 26 September, means you got to be quick in case of transfer or opening bank account, as only 70 days or 2 month's 1 week 1 day from tomorrow date 26 September and that is even a Saturday , so only less than approx. 7/8 day's for that because of need for seasoning the money.

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

For those who could be in the O category 50 years  , or are already …. remember for the 1 year ext.  the money 800K must be in Thai bank 2 month's …. up to 26 September, means you got to be quick in case of transfer or opening bank account, as only 70 days or 2 month's 1 week 1 day from tomorrow date  , so only less than approx. 8/9 day's for that because of need for seasoning the money.

unless i'm misteaken, or the rules are different under the amnesty, no seasoning is required at the time of application.  just need to show the 800k deposit from outside thailand, then you get the first 90 day stamp.  after 90 days, you return for the one-year extension and show the seasoned funds.  might need to confirm the latest one can apply for the o-visa.

7 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

unless i'm misteaken, or the rules are different under the amnesty, no seasoning is required at the time of application.  just need to show the 800k deposit from outside thailand, then you get the first 90 day stamp.  after 90 days, you return for the one-year extension and show the seasoned funds.  might need to confirm the latest one can apply for the o-visa.

I hope so for those  , but never heard about that  , I did mine 8 years ago and the2 month rule was needed but only for first ext. ,next ones 3 and now 2 again , for those married with Thai I know it is slight different 

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

nothing's done until it's done.  even if passed in the same general form, there's still the specifics as to how it will be implemented.

important to note that after july 31st, it's tourists unable to leave thailand that will get those extensions.  i think many of the embassies have already announced they won't be providing letters of strandedness.

if it were me in that position, i'd be hoping for that extended grace period, but i'd be doing some serious planning in case of a 7-day get out of dodge stamp much earlier than anticipated.

Did you read the Bangkok post article? It's very clear. It's pretty much automatic. No applications needed to be able to stay until Sept. 26. I noted the specific points, but my post was deleted. Those who are applying for long stay visas have between August 1 and Sept 26 to do so and those requesting other 30 day extensions under special circumstance have until Sept 26 to request them (thus if one is denied it could mean having to leave the country in early October) and it is only after Sept 26 that people will be considered overstaying. Even people who will be leaving for home will have until Sept 26 and will not need to contact immigration. I suggest you check it out and then discuss the fine points of the statements there. Based on this article(if the information is true), none of the points you are emphasizing seem to be important. Certainly, we will find out for certain next week. Having said that thanks for the advice and glad you and your hunny-bunny are doing well in Hainan. : )

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

You can be stranded if this is your home and you've no way to renew your visa...

Immigration believes that those whose home is in Thailand should be on long term extensions of stay. It is true that there have been ways of staying that use visas and border runs (perfectly legitimately) in ways they were not designed for. However, you need to be realistic and recognise that immigration does not consider those in Thailand in short term permissions to stay as being Thai residents. I am nearly sure that immigration will not be providing you with an amnesty just because you cannot meet the requirements for an extension of stay. I am sympathetic to the situation some find themselves in but, really, you need to see the Thai point of view.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Valid reasons for long extensions
1. Married to a thai or have thai kids
2. Retired, over 50 years old
3. Working with WP
4. Attending verified school and applying for an ed visa

Expect lots of schools will be doing good business.  ????

... plus, of course, The Thailand Elite program for those who really want to stay a long time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Did you read the Bangkok post article? It's very clear. It's pretty much automatic. No applications needed to be able to stay until Sept. 26. I noted the specific points, but my post was deleted. Those who are applying for long stay visas have between August 1 and Sept 26 to do so and those requesting other 30 day extensions under special circumstance have until Sept 26 to request them (thus if one is denied it could mean having to leave the country in early October) and it is only after Sept 26 that people will be considered overstaying. Even people who will be leaving for home will have until Sept 26 and will not need to contact immigration. I suggest you check it out and then discuss the fine points of the statements there. Based on this article(if the information is true), none of the points you are emphasizing seem to be important. Certainly, we will find out for certain next week. Having said that thanks for the advice and glad you and your hunny-bunny are doing well in Hainan. : )

actually what i read is not all clear to me.  it appears this is not another automatic extension for everyone...and that they can "apply" for extensions after the 31st.  it's for tourists who are stranded, unable to return to their home countries.  "home" would be the country printed on their passports and/or another country where they have residency.  those that have the means to return "home" won't necessarily have the option of declining.  there's always the possibility immigration will play hardball, and consider those not actually stranded and unable to leave thailand to be on overstay.

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

actually what i read is not all clear to me.  it appears this is not another automatic extension for everyone...and that they can "apply" for extensions after the 31st.  it's for tourists who are stranded, unable to return to their home countries.  "home" would be the country printed on their passports and/or another country where they have residency.  those that have the means to return "home" won't necessarily have the option of declining.  there's always the possibility immigration will play hardball, and consider those not actually stranded and unable to leave thailand to be on overstay.

It said the people who are headed home can leave until Sept. 26 and don't need to contact immigration. How is that not an automatic extension until Sept 26 for them?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

It said the people who are headed home can leave until Sept. 26 and don't need to contact immigration. How is that not an automatic extension until Sept 26 for them?

I agree. On the dangerous assumption that the eventual policy will resemble what is described, if you leave before September 26th, there is no need for an extension.

What happens with those who do not wish (or are unable) to leave by September 26th is less clear. The most reasonable interpretation is that those in Thailand on September 27th without a valid permission to stay will be deemed to have been on overstay since August 1st (or possibly even from the expiry of their last regular permission to stay, though that would be harsh). I am very unsure what happens to people who do not apply in July or early August for extensions, but try for them in September.

If the above is the eventual plan, those not applying for extensions better be pretty sure they will have left Thailand by September 26th.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I agree. On the dangerous assumption that the eventual policy will resemble what is described, if you leave before September 26th, there is no need for an extension.

What happens with those who do not wish (or are unable) to leave by September 26th is less clear. The most reasonable interpretation is that those in Thailand on September 27th without a valid permission to stay will be deemed to have been on overstay since August 1st (or possibly even from the expiry of their last regular permission to stay, though that would be harsh). I am very unsure what happens to people who do not apply in July or early August for extensions, but try for them in September.

If the above is the eventual plan, those not applying for extensions better be pretty sure they will have left Thailand by September 26th.

From what they say the overstay will start on Sept 26. I could quote it to you, but that would violate forum rules. It does seem that the blacklist may start immediately if people don't leave.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The most reasonable interpretation is that those in Thailand on September 27th without a valid permission to stay will be deemed to have been on overstay since August 1st (or possibly even from the expiry of their last regular permission to stay, though that would be harsh). I am very unsure what happens to people who do not apply in July or early August for extensions, but try for them in September.

I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation; nothing I've read indicates that they would "backdate" an overstay as insinuated by you. As things stand, I assume that one's overstay would start on September 27th.

I also don't think that you cannot apply for an extension late into the grace period. But you obviously do so at your own peril - if the application is rejected, you might need to leave in a hurry and there might not be enough time to fix whatever is amiss. So applying early seems like a good idea, if possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I also don't think that you cannot apply for an extension late into the grace period. But you obviously do so at your own peril - if the application is rejected, you might need to leave in a hurry and there might not be enough time to fix whatever is amiss. So applying early seems like a good idea, if possible.

If you know you will be rejected for your extension, it might be a good idea. Then you apply on the last day and get an extra 7 days to leave the country.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think though there it will be possible to apply for some kind of extension before then as well.

Not that any of us would hold you to it....but, if you were to speculate, what sort of extension(s) do you think might lurk beyond the current horizon?

5 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Not that any of us would hold you to it....but, if you were to speculate, what sort of extension(s) do you think might lurk beyond the current horizon?

An extension chord so you could still plug in!  My personal belief is they will narrow down the window of Visa Types and you will have to prove your qualification for that specific Visa.  As far as an extension of stay I can see the IO's unfortunately pushing for all those who do not work outside of Thailand or go back and forth to have an extension of stay or a TE visa if your not married, over 50, or have a child.  Of course there are those WP and ED Visa's.  Ok so yes, looks like the picture would be the same as now...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation; nothing I've read indicates that they would "backdate" an overstay as insinuated by you. As things stand, I assume that one's overstay would start on September 27th.

Correct. The wording is obvious and clear. Sort out your affairs between now and Sep 26. The whole idea of this "grace period" which is another word for amnesty is to allow enough time to process all the foreigners who may need extensions.

For a non-O multi holder who hasn't used their 60 day extension...it would seem like it's best to wait until closer to that date to do the extension since it starts on the date of application. If done now, it wouldn't even take you to Sep 26 so would be pointless...except if used to season money for an eventual 1-year extension. Even in that case, best to wait until as late as possible to get more time.

• Like 1