Stuck Overseas - Visa Extension Due to Expire.

29 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i doubt it. i've seen rows of town houses, on major torist strips, suddenly spring into life after years of lying dormant just because the owner decided to lower the rent. business here is easy to setup with minimal (actually any?) rules to follow or permits to obtain. the buildings will still be there and the (land)owners will not have rent to pay and are rich already so they won't go bust. it will all just hibernate until the demand returns and then chancers will swoop in and open up shop and repeat the cycle

yes there will be pain and current businesses will go bust but they are mostly renters. the infratructure will remain, ready to be dusted down, re-rented and started afresh once the tourist return

for recent reference to this look back to the tsunami and how it affected patong in phuket. 2 years later barely anyone even remembered it had happened.

Do not forget that now the owners have to pay new taxes, what is happening now for tourism is difficult to predict but everything suggests that tourism will change for the worse for Thailand as there will be a reduction in the western tourism due also to the ecological wave and economic crisis, Thailand will only be a destination for neighbouring countries, in particular the Chinese, but everything remains to be seen because it is also a political issue, the fact of temporarily stopping two airlines based in Thailand seems to threaten the military agreement signed with the USA. So the perspective from my point of view and I hope to be wrong is rather overshadowed for tourism in Thailand

Edited by ICELANDMAN

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Ubonjoe I will ask you one question about re-entry, If I indicate the re-entry after the expiry date of the visa extension O, it is possible to extend the visa extension O or the Visa O is automatically cancelled ?

Your re-entry permit is only valid for the length of your permission of stay extension.

If your extension expires, you'll need to start with applying for a new Non O Visa again.

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Ubonjoe I will ask you one question about re-entry, If I indicate the re-entry after the expiry date of the visa extension O, it is possible to extend the visa extension O or the Visa O is automatically cancelled ?

Visas are not extended or canceled by immigration.

If you apply for a one year extension you have to apply for a re-entry permit if you want to travel.

If you still valid non-o visa you could not use it for entry it you applied for an extension since the new 90 day entry would void out your extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Read my post #14.

You cannot currently enter for the purpose of retirement, as you stated.

You may be allowed to return on a retirement extension if married to a Thai, the purpose of the return would be based on marriage though, not retirement, but only the Embassy can definitely answer that question.

This answer was a bit all over the place. I started this thing by saying that it doesn´t matter what kind of non immigrant O-VISA you have,,,, Retirement or spouse,,, when you later apply for an extension of stay.

You can have a Non Imm O-VISA based on retirement and later apply for a marriage-extension no problem... Why drag this on and on????? The poster was wrong and nothing more to it....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

This answer was a bit all over the place. I started this thing by saying that it doesn´t matter what kind of non immigrant O-VISA you have,,,, Retirement or spouse,,, when you later apply for an extension of stay.

That is not what you said, read the OP again!

16 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What happens/what is the procedure for foreigners who would normally be in Thailand on a visa extension (Marriage) but who are now stuck overseas unable to return due to the Pandemic as their visa extension renewal date approaches?

The OP asked what happens if your extension expires when overseas in order to return to Thailand.

Lopburi3 then correctly answers, you have to apply for a new Non O based on marriage.

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you applied to return with Thai Embassy.  Believe if extension ends you will have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa on basis of marriage and extend again after return.  

To which you reply;

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

Actully no need at all to have any special Non Immigrant O, Just because yöu like in the end to extend your permission to stay in Thailand, and base that on marriage,, doesn´t mean that you need to have any special VISA O. Based on retirment or whatever is just fine.

If your extension expires whilst overseas and you applied for a Non O based on retirement for entry to Thailand it would be refused.

Those married to Thais and providing proof thereof could only apply for the Non O based on marriage.

It's got sweet FA to do with what you can do later once in Thailand.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That is not what you said, read the OP again!

The OP asked what happens if your extension expires when overseas in order to return to Thailand.

Lopburi3 then correctly answers, you have to apply for a new Non O based on marriage.

To which you reply;

If your extension expires whilst overseas and you applied for a Non O based on retirement for entry to Thailand it would be refused.

Those married to Thais and providing proof thereof could only apply for the Non O based on marriage.

It's got sweet FA to do with what you can do later once in Thailand.

Can we stop this <deleted> now please...... I have told you before and do it again for a last time;

I started this thing by saying that it doesn´t matter what kind of non immigrant O-VISA you have,,,, Retirement or spouse,,, when you later apply for an extension of stay.

You can have a Non Imm O-VISA based on retirement and later apply for a marriage-extension no problem...  unquote

so plse do not drag me into this kind of semantic stuff...

glegolo

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Mine expires on Jan 7th, I really think I will lose it and have to start again as I'm stuck in the UK now.

Thing is though, if Thailand does not relax getting in without all these silly hoops by then (or high season), the country is going to be in such a hole I fear it will not recover for decades as the tourism infrastructure will have gone

It's July 18 now. Why don't you just sit tight for a while. The emergency decree will eventually end and restrictions will change. 

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He needs to contact the Thai embassy in Rome for info about the procedures to enter the country and apply for a certificate of entry.

Looked myself on this website but did not find any info. http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/it

Thanks Ubonjoe, I’ve sent that to him together with a link to his forum.

The Thai Embassy information issued for the Covid era states that if you are applying for a COE and your previous visa has expired then a visa application must be submitted along with the request for COE as part of the repatriation process. I'm in the same boat, Thai spouse and previous visa extention expired 3 weeks ago. This was UK embassy, so get your friend to check the Thai Embassy in Italy if that is where he will apply from, as some embassies seem to have their own interpretation of procedural rules. Cheers.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:03 AM, RichardColeman said:

Thing is though, if Thailand does not relax getting in without all these silly hoops by then (or high season), the country is going to be in such a hole I fear it will not recover for decades as the tourism infrastructure will have gone

It is a difficult choice, tourism decimated to keep the population safe or tourism decimated due to a rampant virus.

Unlike the US, it is fortunate that the Thai government appears to prefer the former.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, RichardColeman said:

Mine expires on Jan 7th, I really think I will lose it and have to start again as I'm stuck in the UK now.

As long as some continue to play the hoop game a total waste of time and money (SCAM) do not expect change. Want change ? Contact the media. Not talking about websites.

22 hours ago, glegolo said:

Interesting, so if I  am stucked in Sweden i.e..... I have a retirement extension, AND I am married to a thai,,,, THAN according to you,,, I am not under any circumstances allowed back into Thailand now??

Is that what you mean??

glegolo

No, it isn't what was said or meant.

What was said was that if you didn't have valid permission to stay, either by way of extension/re-entry or a currently valid visa, then you you would have to get a new visa.

As people are asking the Thai embassy to return on the basis of being married, it would prudent if a new visa was required to get it on the basis of marriage. People that insist on doing there own thing are usually those that end up with problems.

If your retirement extension is still valid you would need to prove to the embassy that you are in fact married in order to request a CoE.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:46 PM, glegolo said:

Interesting, so if I  am stucked in Sweden i.e..... I have a retirement extension, AND I am married to a thai,,,, THAN according to you,,, I am not under any circumstances allowed back into Thailand now??

Is that what you mean??

No need for me to read the guidelines and documents required to enter Thailand. But my guess is it does not specify which type of extension one has. If you're on a retirement extension that has not expired yet, you can submit your documents with proof of Thai wife and you will be considered for a certificate of entry from the embassy. 

If your retirement extension has expired, you must also apply for a Non-O visa at the time of application for certificate of entry. Once you enter Thailand, you can change the Non-O to retirement or marriage extension.

Edited by Mulambana