Stuck Overseas - Visa Extension Due to Expire.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Mine expires on Jan 7th, I really think I will lose it and have to start again as I'm stuck in the UK now.

Thing is though, if Thailand does not relax getting in without all these silly hoops by then (or high season), the country is going to be in such a hole I fear it will not recover for decades as the tourism infrastructure will have gone

Sorry to hear that RC.

I neglected to mention, I’m in Thailand, the question relates to my neighbor who’s husband is stuck in Italy, she mentioned this while chatting with my wife, a glimpse into how stressful and difficult this is for those caught up in it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you applied to return with Thai Embassy.  Believe if extension ends you will have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa on basis of marriage and extend again after return.  

Actully no need at all to have any special Non Immigrant O, Just because yöu like in the end to extend your permission to stay in Thailand, and base that on marriage doesn´t mean that you need to have any special VISA O, based on retirment or whatever is fine.

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I neglected to mention, I’m in Thailand, the question relates to my neighbor who’s husband is stuck in Italy, she mentioned this while chatting with my wife, a glimpse into how stressful and difficult this is for those caught up in it.

He needs to contact the Thai embassy in Rome for info about the procedures to enter the country and apply for a certificate of entry.

Looked myself on this website but did not find any info. http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/it

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Actully no need at all to have any special Non Immigrant O, Just because yöu like in the end to extend your permission to stay in Thailand, and base that on marriage doesn´t mean that you need to have any special VIA O, based on retirment or whatever is fine.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

In order to get a certificate of entry a valid non-o visa or a re-entry permit for a valid extension of stay is required.

You cannot enter visa exempt or with a tourists visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you are trying to say.

In order to get a certificate of entry a valid non-o visa or a re-entry permit for a valid extension of stay is required.

You cannot enter visa exempt or with a tourists visa. That is the only way to enter Thailand at this time.

I thought my english was quite clear.... Lopburi said that the guy needed to buy a Non Immigrant O based on marriage.... And I replied with my answer...... 

Actully no need at all to have any special Non Immigrant O, Just because yöu like in the end to extend your permission to stay in Thailand, and base that on marriage,, doesn´t mean that you need to have any special VISA O. Based on retirment or whatever is just fine.  Unquote

glegolo

11 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Based on retirment or whatever is just fine.

Nope, you can't enter Thailand based on retirement.

Only certain categories are allowed entry, diplomats, air crew, medical and now those married to, or Thai family and they have to get clearance beforehand. (Certificate of Entry).

If they don't have a valid extension and re-entry permit, then they need to apply for a new Non O Visa as part of the process.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I thought my english was quite clear.... Lopburi said that the guy needed to buy a Non Immigrant O based on marriage.... And I replied with my answer...... 

Poster clearly stated marriage - which would allow entry - and non immigrant O visas are easily issued for that - not so much for other reasons.

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Only certain categories are allowed entry, diplomats, air crew, medical and now those married to, or Thai family and they have to get clearance beforehand. (Certificate of Entry).

If they don't have a valid extension and re-entry permit, then they need to apply for a new Non O Visa as part of the process.

Out of curiosity, if a guy is married but has an extension based on retirement and wants to come back....is that possible based on being married?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Out of curiosity, if a guy is married but has an extension based on retirement and wants to come back....is that possible based on being married?

I don't see why not provided you can prove marriage to a Thai, but you should ask the Embassy beforehand.

May I ask why you have an extension based on retirement, when your married to a Thai.

It's times like these that being on the correct extension for the purpose of your stay could be an advantage.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe I will ask you one question about re-entry, If I indicate the re-entry after the expiry date of the visa extension O, it is possible to extend the visa extension O or the Visa O is automatically cancelled ?

Much less paperwork!

4 photo's, an updated Kor Ror 2/22, the wife attends and two sets of copies, is the only difference between applying based on retirement or marriage.

I've done both retirement and marriage based applications and don't buy this nonsense of jumping through hoops and over hurdles to apply based on marriage.

Under consideration for 30 days, so a return to pick up the extension stamp.

Wow, how stressful and time consuming.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Much less paperwork!

Less for you and much less for immigration where they have to report to higher authorities for review, so every eye has to be dotted.  Two trips to immigration can be a factor if not living in city.

I have also done both ways and retirement is much less stressful for all concerned in my option - but if wife was not unable to travel without sickness probably would not have changed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Less for you and much less for immigration where they have to report to higher authorities for review, so every eye has to be dotted.  Two trips to immigration can be a factor if not living in city.

I have also done both ways and retirement is much less stressful for all concerned in my option - but if wife was not unable to travel without sickness probably would not have changed.

My current marriage extension is due to expire September 29th, I’m fairly confident I’ll return to LOS before then, but I’m thinking of changing from marriage to a retirement as it appears to be far easier to apply and renew

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Less for you and much less for immigration where they have to report to higher authorities for review, so every eye has to be dotted. 

4 photo's taken at home and an updated Kor Ror 2/22 from any Amphoe + 2 copies as opposed to one is much more work - come on! Whether Immigration have to check my documents 4 times is none of my concern, that's their job, which they are paid to do. It costs me the same 1,900 BHT either way.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Two trips to immigration can be a factor if not living in city.

Feeble excuse. What else occupies your time for 365 days a year.

A couple of half days to keep your Immigration status legal, isn't to much to ask.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I was just asking out of curiosity. Quite a few people have found the retirement extension easier than marriage, or have got married whilst already on retirement extension and don't wish to change.

Entirely your choice, I just don't buy the extra jumping through hoops and over hurdles nonsense posted for extensions based on marriage.

The advantage of the financial requirements out way the disadvantages in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Entirely your choice, I just don't buy the extra jumping through hoops and over hurdles nonsense posted for extensions based on marriage.

The advantage of the financial requirements out way the disadvantages in my opinion.

These are the Hoops one must jump through this is from the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles so it only pertains to Americans

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:944ac1a2-a3bb-4872-ba1e-6b959e7a400e

14 minutes ago, bolt said:

When applying last year, I was told to wait for immigration to visit the house, they gave no date or time of meeting, 10 days later they showed up, I was out of town.

So I had to arrange another meeting.

Also

I don’t want anyone to visit my house unless I say so,

That is usually a one of visit to check the marriage is de jure and defacto.

You don't have a choice if Immigration (Police) want to visit your home for some reason, like it or not.

I made an appointment for my visit whilst submitting the application, to ensure it was a time that suited all.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Interesting, so if I  am stucked in Sweden i.e..... I have a retirement extension, AND I am married to a thai,,,, THAN according to you,,, I am not under any circumstances allowed back into Thailand now??

Is that what you mean??

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thing is though, if Thailand does not relax getting in without all these silly hoops by then (or high season), the country is going to be in such a hole I fear it will not recover for decades as the tourism infrastructure will have gone

i doubt it. i've seen rows of town houses, on major torist strips, suddenly spring into life after years of lying dormant just because the owner decided to lower the rent. business here is easy to setup with minimal (actually any?) rules to follow or permits to obtain. the buildings will still be there and the (land)owners will not have rent to pay and are rich already so they won't go bust. it will all just hibernate until the demand returns and then chancers will swoop in and open up shop and repeat the cycle

yes there will be pain and current businesses will go bust but they are mostly renters. the infratructure will remain, ready to be dusted down, re-rented and started afresh once the tourist return

for recent reference to this look back to the tsunami and how it affected patong in phuket. 2 years later barely anyone even remembered it had happened.

Edited by GeorgeCross

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Luckily the vast majority of Thailand's GDP is not from tourism.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

These are the Hoops one must jump through this is from the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles so it only pertains to Americans

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:944ac1a2-a3bb-4872-ba1e-6b959e7a400e

No, it pertains to all foreigners.

That has nothing to with marriage extensions applied for at local Immigration offices, which I started discussing with Lopburi.

16 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Interesting, so if I  am stucked in Sweden i.e..... I have a retirement extension, AND I am married to a thai,,,, THAN according to you,,, I am not under any circumstances allowed back into Thailand now??

Is that what you mean??

glegolo

Read my post #14.

You cannot currently enter for the purpose of retirement, as you stated.

You may be allowed to return on a retirement extension if married to a Thai, the purpose of the return would be based on marriage though, not retirement, but only the Embassy can definitely answer that question.