Asbestos Roof Tiles?

qj7777

that's like asking can anyone confirm it will storm tomorrow with all this cloud around.

I can tell you that is the old corrugated roofing that does potentially contain asbestos,  however you need to get a sample tested at the laboratory for confirmation ....  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

that's like asking can anyone confirm it will storm tomorrow with all this cloud around.

I can tell you that is the old corrugated roofing that does potentially contain asbestos,  however you need to get a sample tested at the laboratory for confirmation ....  

No it isn't. If you work in the trade you might know the brand and model to confirm or not. SCB or mahaphant don't use asbestos but oran vanich do. They are the only makers of roof tiles in Thailand so it should be straight forward if you are in the trade. Just because you don't know, doesn't mean others wont. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, qj7777 said:

No it isn't. If you work in the trade you might know the brand and model to confirm or not. SCB or mahaphant don't use asbestos but oran vanich do. They are the only makers of roof tiles in Thailand so it should be straight forward if you are in the trade. Just because you don't know, doesn't mean others wont. 

Great idea. But this idea doesn't replace the dangerous things that exist already everywhere. Even glue for tiles might contain a lot of aspestos. It is a severe problem here in Thailand. 

Depending on how old they are and from what company i would say they contain asbestos . As long as they aren't broken , there's no risk . If you want to replace them , make them wet 1st ,and wear a mask ( everybody got them now anyways ... hahah ) .

Just now, northsouthdevide said:

Surely in this day a d age there is no aspestos in roof tiles? 

Ive seen these product about, and I recall building a chicken house roof using it. 

I just took for granted that they don't use it in manufacturing any more. 

Yes they do use it, a LOT here, still even today you can buy it. https://<URL Automatically Removed>/construction-in-thailand/75774-asbestos-use-thai-building-materials.html

Some brands of Fiber Cement roof tiles do have asbestos.  I know for a fact since I asked the MD of a large roof tile company. ONLY in the fiber cement ROOF TILES, not other products. 

From Thai Visa Forum:

" But anywhere the answer about asbestos must be YES, here in Thailand they use quite a lot of, many roofs all over Thailand "

My question to you:  Do any XXXX brand roof tiles have asbestos?

Dear Bob,

Yes we use only for fiber cement roof tile which its quality suitable for our climate.

Regards,

S

On 7/17/2020 at 9:45 PM, sezze said:

Depending on how old they are and from what company i would say they contain asbestos . As long as they aren't broken , there's no risk . If you want to replace them , make them wet 1st ,and wear a mask ( everybody got them now anyways ... hahah ) .

Not Asbestos plates are dangerous but the asbestos fibres, that come free when plates are broken, or when you try to cut a piece or drill a hole in it.. So don't touch the plates, when you have to as said, make them wet, such the fibres are caught and do use a proper "asbestos quality" mask to prevent the fibres come into your lungs. Take care for the the water with the fibres, to dispose safely and best to seal the cut edges with a glue/paint or so.

I researched this in the context of Thailand some time ago. Using asbestos in the roof tiles was officially made illegal in 2005, but the timetable for actually ceasing using it was left to the companies. Some companies stopped, immediately, others didn't, It wasn't until 2016 that the government placed a solid ban on its use and the final manufacturer complied. Having said that, the 2005 act said that those who complied had to place a blue triangle on the underside of the tile to indicate it was asbestos free. I have NEVER seen a tile with such a marking. It also means that only in very new houses can one have any assurance of the tiles being asbestos free. AND this is Thailand. How effective is the ban, and are brown paper bags involved??

Nevertheless, as a previous post pointed out, unless the tile is broken or damaged in some other way, eg drilling, it is safe. In my case, with an older Thai style house, the installation of a ceiling increased my confidence.

I to at the start was a bit worried about fibres getting into water ways tanks etc, but after some research i found a recent study on autopsy in 2019 found 50% of Thai people had traces of Asbestos in them and that asbestos it self won't hurt you via oral intake, its only dangerous if inhaled into your lungs as we all know anyway. Here's just one article https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Asbestos-in-drinking-water

Please also remember that Thailand has never used blue asbestos only white

which is no where near rhe danger of blue.

There was many years ago a large Company in Malaysia sourcing product from Australia which was the blue product but they did not operate here.

If in doubt best left alone or spray with a sealant

• Like 1

How old are they. When you break them can you see any fibers in the air. Think they stopped selling these asbest 20 years ago. But if asbest then its damn good quality, to bad for health though 

7 hours ago, yieldman said:

Asbestos sheeting has a distinct ring when you hit it with something like a spanner, sheeting using cellulose fibre just gives a thud. 

I will try this.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, Oldie said:

Great idea. But this idea doesn't replace the dangerous things that exist already everywhere. Even glue for tiles might contain a lot of aspestos. It is a severe problem here in Thailand. 

Rubbish. It has never been a severe problem anywhere, except where people worked in an environment where asbestos was being worked in some form or other.

People have worked and lived in factories and dwellings where asbestos has been present for decades without a problem.

I and hundreds of families lived in post war prefabricated accommodation from asbestos sheeting, my house slightly to the left of centre. During the 1980's when thermal insulation became an issue, those that were still standing were just bricked up on the outside.

prefab1.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Rubbish. It has never been a severe problem anywhere, except where people worked in an environment where asbestos was being worked in some form or other.

People have worked and lived in factories and dwellings where asbestos has been present for decades without a problem.

I and hundreds of families lived in post war prefabricated accommodation from asbestos sheeting, my house slightly to the left of centre. During the 1980's when thermal insulation became an issue, those that were still standing were just bricked up on the outside.

prefab1.jpg

I have to remove the old ceiling in my bathrooms - cement plates with a lot of asbestos. And now I have the problem already that asbestos will be set free. It is impossible to remove them without breaking them.

You are right. Not everyone will get sick. And until you get lung cancer it might take a while. But if you get it it is one of the deadliest form. 

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

I have to remove the old ceiling in my bathrooms - cement plates with a lot of asbestos. And now I have the problem already that asbestos will be set free. It is impossible to remove them without breaking them.

Asbestos control in those conditions is not a serious problem, specially as they are being removed from rooms that should be designed to control water. Get the ceiling wet/damp so you have minimal dust and use good dust masks. You can use a simple agriculture sprayer to wet the ceiling without running water down the walls.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Asbestos control in those conditions is not a serious problem, specially as they are being removed from rooms that should be designed to control water. Get the ceiling wet/damp so you have minimal dust and use good dust masks. You can use a simple agriculture sprayer to wet the ceiling without running water down the walls.

The construction workers here do not care. They just take a hammer...

6 hours ago, Oldie said:

You are right. Not everyone will get sick. And until you get lung cancer it might take a while. But if you get it it is one of the deadliest form. 

I used to manage a website for a friend who owned an asbestos removal company, if you need advice let me know.

http://www.deltaservices.co.uk/

22 hours ago, Oldie said:

How much do they charge to come to Pattaya? ????

My mate used to come quite regularly, his wife had the beauty salon in the Dusit but gave it up when he sold the business. Might have a problem getting the gear in his luggage though.????

• 4 weeks later...

They have two distinct types the old school most definitely has asbestos fibers & the newer replacements to the old ones are 1/2 the weight & is a plastic composite. The newer ones don't use asbestos.It is like asking someone is your food made outside of you house is made with MSG. Most of the time if they say no MSG you know they are lying. But the heavy roof panels mostly do contain asbestos. Hence the heavy weight of the roof panels.