SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?   

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Myran said:

The amount of deaths from Covid in Thailand is trivial, yes, for the simple reason that they have taken measures to contain it. Again, the almost 6,000 deaths Sweden has suffered is absolutely not trivial, the 140,000 deaths in the U.S. are not trivial, and the 75,000 deaths in Brazil are not trivial. Isn't it best to take preventative measures before something turns into a catastrophe rather than reacting to it after thousands of people have died?

As far as I can see, a disease that kills 0.0062% of the world population, is not one worth worrying about in any way shape or form. I'm nearly 65 and it certainly doesn't bother me.

But back on topic about foreigners ..........

The Thai government (through TaT) claims to want as many Chinese and Indian visitors as possible.

Which is strange as most of the Thai population appear (to me) to despise both nationalities.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see, a disease that kills 0.0062% of the world population, is not one worth worrying about in any way shape or form. I'm nearly 65 and it certainly doesn't bother me.

But back on topic about foreigners ..........

The Thai government (through TaT) claims to want as many Chinese and Indian visitors as possible.

Which is strange as most of the Thai population appear (to me) to despise both nationalities.

Jesus Christ, you're delusional. The pandemic is in full force and the amount of deaths are increasing day by day, with fears that the virus will mutate to become even more deadly and contagious. You might as well take the amount of road deaths from a single day and say, "I don't care about 0.000032% of the world population dying from car accidents".

You can thank Thailand's response to the virus for allowing you the luxury of not being bothered by it. The 600,000 people who have died during just a few months (and the millions of people who have lost loved ones to it) would probably disagree. But hey, as long as it doesn't affect you, amiright?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Mate, stay on topic, we were discussing the word "alien."

You responded to this comment,

"Australia is also a racist country. US obviously is, dont know about canada."

I don't see the word "alien"

*Deleted post edited out*

Do learn how to read, and educate yourself while you're at it. The virus mutating might result in existing antibodies in humans to no longer be able to fight it properly, which together with higher contagion and increased difficulties in creating a working vaccine as well as new strains of the virus not being vulnerable to medications such as as remdesivir, can result in it being deadlier. Hence, the fear that it might mutate to spread more easily and cause more deaths.

Edited by Scott

For sure, the visa approval rules are much more strict than before. The people are less friendly towards farang. They don't welcome foreigners anymore even if the economy is in the dumps.

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Jesus Christ, you're delusional. The pandemic is in full force and the amount of deaths are increasing day by day, with fears that the virus will mutate to become even more deadly and contagious. You might as well take the amount of road deaths from a single day and say, "I don't care about 0.000032% of the world population dying from car accidents".

You can thank Thailand's response to the virus for allowing you the luxury of not being bothered by it. The 600,000 people who have died during just a few months (and the millions of people who have lost loved ones to it) would probably disagree. But hey, as long as it doesn't affect you, amiright?

You mentioned Sweden. Was there a couple of weeks ago, life is very normal, people don't speak much about the virus, it's being forgotten. It's the people in their 80's and 90's who are dying, and dominatly immigrants with weak health records. Compare the economic loss due to the shutdown against the Thai (or Australian) response which seem hysteric to anyone from Northern Europe. Life cannot be recovered etc, but there is a limit where economic realities hit as well. But every country can make their own choice, and the numbers can be compared (lifes, economy, unemployment) in a couple of years. For me the hysteric approach of Thailand is good in the long term as it makes living there cheaper and tourist locations less crowded.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:15 AM, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....Xenophobic comes to mind. To describe foreigners in your legislation as “aliens” sums it up really. Your money is welcome but you are not.

Just spent the afternoon with my "adopted" 4yo grandson. Part of the time was spent watching YT kids and a vdo that had aliens dressed in green with bug eyes. When I asked "am I an alien" little lad answered "no pop-pop, you're farang not alien."

Controversial question asked as vague as possible ???? reminds me of Facebook surveys that they do to drive the most engagement

What is 'Thailand'? Is it a geographical area? Is it the system? Is it the people?

Generally people have treated me nothing but well here. From the government however I feel like they don't want foreigners to stay here too long. 

I haven't noticed any intolerance in the village where I live, but it had been more and more apparent in the cities since I first arrived 17 years ago.  I am sick of the cultural Marxism, white man is the oppressor, being promoted by the western media and the mindless millenials.

Intolerance is very popular these days.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, Brunolem said:

The bureaucratic rules regarding foreigners, notably visas, have not changed for a long time. 

Very, very wrong. Since i came here to live 10 years ago there has been approximately one change every year. I will list those that come to mind, not necessarily in chronological order.

1. Visa exempt - used to be no official limit - now only 2 land crossings allowed per calendar year, and some people being denied entry if they have spent 6 out of the last 12 months in Thailand.

2. Tourist visas - no limit 10 years ago, now also some denied  after 3 back to back; consulates in neighbouring countries often will not issue more than two. Also double and triple entry tourist visas used to be available - now replaced by the multi-entry tourist visa (valid for 6 months which comes with financial qualifications).

3. Non-immigrant 'O' multi-entry - obtainable by over 50's with no financial qualifications 10 years ago, then restricted in 2 or 3 steps up to 1200 GBP per month income. Now unavailable from most Embassies and consulates (a few still give if married to a Thai).

4. Non-immigrant OA visa - now requires a specified Health insurance policy.

5. Embassy letters for extensions from some countries dropped due to demands from immigration for income to be verified - replaced by the 12 month, minimum monthly income requirement which invalidates your extension if one month is missing.

6. Retirement 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months modified to 6 months? at 800,000 and 400,000 baht minimum for the rest of the year.

7. Marriage - new Kor ror 2 now demanded every year, previously were happy to accept the original one for 7 years ....

Sure there have been other changes! Also some issues on getting yellow books now, more hoops to jump through and more expense.

• Thanks 2

Funny that with all the loss of revenue from tourism there has been no easing of visa restrictions to compensate.  I think that is very telling that they would rather watch their country suffer economic hardship rather than making it a little easier for foreigners to live here.

They have temporarily extended some deadlines out of practical considerations but that's not the same thing.

Edited by shdmn

7 hours ago, rickudon said:

ery, very wrong. Since i came here to live 10 years ago there has been approximately one change every year. I will list those that come to mind, not necessarily in chronological order.

Every visa option that I used to stay here for 10+ years between working on a priority visa and turning 50 has been closed off.

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

You responded to this comment,

"Australia is also a racist country. US obviously is, dont know about canada."

I don't see the word "alien"

Mate, you seem to have forgotten what was being discussed... hint, it wasn't racism, if you're going to comment, at least know what you are commenting on, go back and read previous comments.

Edited by Aussie999

Yes, Thailand is less tolerant. I have been to the Philippines many times and they welcome expats with open arms (just look at their visa policies). Also on 1 Aug the Philippines is allowing foreigners with a long term visa (SRRV) back in.  

• Like 1

Xenophobia is embedded in the Thai state. Goes back to the days of French colonisation in the region . Its been intolerant of foreigners for a long time but has had to hide it so as not to lose face in the international community. Covid has given the Thai state a great opportunity to bring back the good old days. 

Hopefully the results of this survey will be reported in the mainstream media so those on power can see what we think of them. 

I do think part of the reason Thais have become less tolerant is the type of mass tourist they have successfully attracted in recent years show less respect for Thai culture and ways. The model whereby these mass tourists pay everything upfront in their home country has much less benefit for the average Thai person. 

5 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Mate, you seem to have forgotten what was being discussed... hint, it wasn't racism, if you're going to comment, at least know what you are commenting on, go back and read previous comments.

Your comment should apply to what you quote, not something else.

Only the arrogant would expect people to read and remember every post.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:11 PM, Sujo said:

Australia is also a racist country. US obviously is, dont know about canada.

90% of the Canadian population lives within 160km of the US/Canadian border.  Basically Canada is just a suburb of the US and share a lot of the same values.  In the pre-Covid 19 days on Sundays you would see all the Canadian cars headed back to Canada after shopping.  Things to buy?  Fill the tank as petrol is a lot more expensive in Canada and buy your two carton limit of cigarettes even if you don't smoke.  

Living in a village in a small town in Isaan, I've found that people are generally more friendly than when I first arrived here 11 years ago. Maybe it's because I made an effort to be friendly towards them and learned some basic Thai (even though I find Thai language difficult as I have a boring one-note voice) so I could try to speak to them in their language. Just saying hello and smiling when you see a neighbour goes a long way IMHO. I've also only ever had positive experiences with Immigration officers at Kap Choeng, Buriram and Korat.

Edited by Mutt Daeng