Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals

webfact

3 hours ago, johnray said:

Maybe they should mention the millions of dollars boost in the economy that tourists bring and see if the answers change.

Fyi . 

This Thai Government is not concerned , about tourism / aka sex economy.

Keep the baht high , good for buying Gold ..

Edited by elliss

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

94.45% are most concerned about losing their jobs, 92.05% are worry most about business closures

So, 90% want to ban foreigners and lose their jobs at the same time ? 

Good spot. As I read the piece I realize the poor state of “reporting” in Thailand’s foreign language press is getting worse rather than better. I’m lost with editorial policy of these outlets though because their readership is foreign. It’s almost as if their intent is to incite their readers. 

27 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Only 90 percent?  I thought it would be more.  You only need to look to the USA which is isolated to see the effects of the disease.  

Not many Thai ladies , looking for white buffalo American darling,  on Thai Lie Links..

Covid 19 the Virus ,  that changed the World ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Those figures would make every intelligent person ''a bit'' worried!

I have told my opinion about this pandePANIC elsewhere here.

Human deal with viruses since millions years, nothing new here about a virus.

0.1% deaths ? Mostly very old people with preconditions ?

Not a reason to end the (normal) world.

Many people just do not think enough, do not compare with other daily causes of deaths or sickness (road, pollution, obesity, war, etc.). Takes a working brain, not just one number and primitive fear reaction following breaking news and gouvernement agendas.

We may agree on the "a little bit" worried.

Not so much more like a total world panic, shelter, close the gates, stay at home or at country, in primitive fear...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I feel sorry for expat that cannot come back into Thailand, I feel happy that it is less crowded now in Bangkok. I used to hate riding BTS on weekend because there are so many tourists. It is very suffocating. I am happy with less tourists. I vote with my wallet not to come to place with dual pricing so I don't feel any attachment toward Thai economy or Thai tourism. Less tourist is much better for my personal life. 

Edited by Acrylic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, mstevens said:

And this is precisely the reason, rightly or wrongly, Thailand's borders will stay closed for some time to come.   For those of us outside the country who would like to visit, it's going to be a long wait.   For those of us whose life / house / family is in Thailand, returning from abroad is going to be a bureaucratic, expensive and painful process.  

I am so glad I never bought anything in Thailand and only rented my condo. If I wanted, I could even break the lease with no repercussions other than losing my deposit. Been there almost 5 years so the loss of a deposit would not bother me. But I do feel sorry for my landlord because she has been good to us over the years so I will try not to let her down.

It is also starting to look more hopeful to get my Thai de-facto partner back to my home country than it is for me to be with her in Thailand again. I will adjust my plans accordingly. Thailand has little to attract me any more.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I don't think foreigners already here really fall into the arrivals part of the OP.

You are probably correct, but foreigners just like those already there, that are caught outside Thailand are included. I would be happy to pack and leave, first have to get to my stuff, sell vehicles, etc. 

19 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I wonder how long it took to capture an image where not one person has the mask under their chin ...

people-mask.jpg

This mask stuff is interesting, use or not. I think its somehow useful, but here back home, nobody uses, several months seen couple. Only health care professionals and old folks support and care people use them daily basis. Others maybe if they have running nose or soar throat. Still numbers of daily cases stay on the level 0-20 in the whole country. Could it be 0 if everyone would use mask or just the same, nobody knows. Maybe it's because we normally like some distance, avoid talking with others, or something else...who knows. And maybe tomorrow tells different story. Anyway, if you get it, stats match with the other countries. 

Edited by mac1970

3 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I have told my opinion about this pandePANIC elsewhere here.

Human deal with viruses since millions years, nothing new here about a virus.

0.1% deaths ? Mostly very old people with preconditions ?

Not a reason to end the (normal) world.

Many people just do not think enough, do not compare with other daily causes of deaths or sickness (road, pollution, obesity, war, etc.). Takes a working brain, not just one number and primitive fear reaction following breaking news and gouvernement agendas.

We may agree on the "a little bit" worried.

Not so much more like a total world panic, shelter, close the gates, stay at home or at country, in primitive fear...

I agree it's not a "reason to end the normal world"

The difference with "other daily causes of deaths or sickness (road, pollution, obesity, war, etc.). " is that there is any treatment for covid-19,  whereas road, pollution,  obesity risks depend on your own choices and behaviour.

3 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Not even 1% of Thai people surveyed! Try surveying 1500 Thai employees of 4 or 5 star hotels!

1% is not at all a problem,  if you know statistical laws, which doesn't seem to be the case. The problem may be whether it was a representative sample or not.

1 hour ago, DB58 said:

You are probably correct, but foreigners just like those already there, that are caught outside Thailand are included. I would be happy to pack and leave, first have to get to my stuff, sell vehicles, etc. 

Well of course they are included, if they are outside Thailand they would be an arrival.

What sort of car you selling ?

21 hours ago, meechai said:

Over 90% of 1459 Thai people polled want a total ban on foreign arrivals

Fixed your sensationalism for you 

That's not sensationalism.  That's statistics.  A sample size of 1,459 people in a population of 66 million gives you well over 99% odds that your survey results are within 4% of the correct number.

Of course, that assumes that they chose those 1,459 people randomly, asked appropriate questions, and didn't lie...

Let's face it, it's a disturbing number.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size-calculator/

Ive lived in Thailand for decades but am outside right now. I have no plans to return while they keep all the hoops in place that I need to jump through. I can spend my money elsewhere more easily and that is what I, and I'm sure many others will do. I'm sure many won't bother to return once they get cp,for table elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, node said:

Something is off with this maths. Interviewed 1459 folks, 90% have this option, that is 1313 said this, of a population of 70,000,000 Thais, that is .00188% of the population;

not 90% of Thai people, as the headline stated

Can you spell clueless? A poll is a representative sample, so when 90% of a sample states "x", it can be extrapolated that 90% of the population at large will also say "x". There are constraints attached to the percentages called margin of error and confidence level. You can learn about them by using this Internet to read stuff wat cleva people wrote for you to improve yourself and learn a little about stuff you should have learned about at high school...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Very smart of the Thais for temporarely wanting to keep the borders closed.

Smart and united. 

What a difference with other countries who are in chaos and dont know what to do, whose leadership AND citizens cant even agree on wearing masks. 

Thailand : zero covid cases since weeks. Economy still okay.

Usa : well, we all know, covid is skyrocketing, but since i am not an american for me its entertaining to watch the chaos in the usa. Sinking ship. Maga. lmao. 

There are more countries in the world, than the USA and Thailand- although citizens of these two countries may view that differently!

15 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I feel for the Thais in our island struggling big time, but, I’m loving the quiet empty roads (pretty much), empty clean beaches, and gym devoid of the usual circus. Fine for me if it stay this way for another few months.

So you are basically not feeling for them!

At all!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Acrylic said:

As much as I feel sorry for expat that cannot come back into Thailand, I feel happy that it is less crowded now in Bangkok. I used to hate riding BTS on weekend because there are so many tourists. It is very suffocating. I am happy with less tourists. I vote with my wallet not to come to place with dual pricing so I don't feel any attachment toward Thai economy or Thai tourism. Less tourist is much better for my personal life. 

Ok- everything is great then!

You are happy- everybody is happy!

(Jesus <deleted> Christ...)

• Like 1