Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals

webfact

On 7/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, Sambotte said:

I have told my opinion about this pandePANIC elsewhere here.

Human deal with viruses since millions years, nothing new here about a virus.

0.1% deaths ? Mostly very old people with preconditions ?

Not a reason to end the (normal) world.

Darwin , survival of the fittest ,  Naturally ..

Nothing new , under the Sun .

Edited by elliss

So, 10% work in the tourist industry, interesting. Not an insignificant number, but I guess the country will survive. The real problem is the social unrest this might instil, like the go to for poor people has always been the tourist thing. Take away their bread and they might get 'ornery. I'm guessing the circuses thing has ended now, going by my SO.

Edited by nausea

I have a bad feeling that it is going to be a long time before GENERAL tourists are allowed back into Thailand. 

I usually spend the (European) winter in Thailand. As of now, I am giving it only 50 percent chance that I will be able to go there this December. 

Or, am I being too much of a pessimist?! 

1 hour ago, nausea said:

So, 10% work in the tourist industry, interesting. Not an insignificant number, but I guess the country will survive. The real problem is the social unrest this might instil, like the go to for poor people has always been the tourist thing. Take away their bread and they might get 'ornery. I'm guessing the circuses thing has ended now, going by my SO.

10% is not even remotely in the ballpark of the real number!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JemJem said:

I have a bad feeling that it is going to be a long time before GENERAL tourists are allowed back into Thailand. 

I usually spend the (European) winter in Thailand. As of now, I am giving it only 50 percent chance that I will be able to go there this December. 

If Bali is too far for you to travel i would put money on the fact that Vietnam and the Philippines will be opening in December at the very latest to get their economies up and running again with the money that tourism will bring in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nausea said:

Try 30% plus will be nearer.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, KhunFred said:

Just one of MANY reasons why I will move to the Philippines, once things are normalized. Thailand does NOT want foreigners here.

Do the Filipino people want foreigners to come to their country?    And does the Government really want that?

On 7/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, JemJem said:

Mass tourism back by this December? I would say you have virtually zero chance of being back in December of this year.

The powers that be have decided that the lesser of 2 evils is to keep the virus out, and incur the huge tourist revenue hit.

They're obviously going to wait until mass roll out of vaccines, before opening up the borders,  which is at least 12 months away. (and that's with everything going well with the leading pack vaccines).

If you were to say to me that I'll be coming back to Thailand this time next year, I would be delighted.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, pookondee said:

I seen many of them treating farangs horrible, taking money from multiple suitors, cheating, lying about their brother (husband), kicking them out of property the farang paid for, and so on. (and then theres the murders). hmm

disgusting really.

I'd actually lost belief in karma, watching these people do this over and over without the slightest bit of guilt or conscience or repercussions.

Well, now its looking like karma might be coming back to em in a BIG way.  

Or maybe more fitting

Som Num Nah-ism

Sounds like my ex wife and her family.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, Aussie Col said:

@Aussie Col 30%... i dont think so or i find that hard to believe, if it was that high they would have opened up to tourists by now i know the PM doesn't like us but i think even he would see sense. 10% is more realistic and i cant see it being because of the health of his citizens as two issues with that...one.when has a government anywhere in the world really cared about their citizens and two. its no good if the solution is worse than the problem, no point in keeping citizens healthy and then there dying cuz of poverty.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

@Aussie Col 30%... i dont think so or i find that hard to believe, if it was that high they would have opened up to tourists by now i know the PM doesn't like us but i think even he would see sense. 10% is more realistic and i cant see it being because of the health of his citizens as two issues with that...one.when has a government anywhere in the world really cared about their citizens and two. its no good if the solution is worse than the problem, no point in keeping citizens healthy and then there dying cuz of poverty.

Nobody is starving or dying of poverty yet though.

The poll is b'llocks and questions will have been loaded as suggested. Look at the source. Ask the header to ordinary people now and then in a year when borders are still closed with skyrocketing unemployment & debt and compare. The junta know what they are doing here.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, johng said:

They where wearing masks six months ago because of the  world record breaking air pollution..maybe the masks stopped the Wuflu  or maybe the pollution killed it stone dead ?

( not that it was alive to begin with ???? )

In a few days it will be 6 months since I traveled down to Malaysia on the overnight train from Bangkok. Do you really think that everyone on the train was wearing a mask because of air pollution.

Travelling through Bangkok, about the only ones on BTS/MRT not wearing masks were caucasian foreigners.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, Aussie Col said:

The figures say 6% but there are always those that think they know better. A certain percentage of that 6% will benefit from the government incentives to boost domestic tourism.

I am not denying there is a black economy regarding international tourists but no government is going to actively support such a situation. Time people faced some facts, the official statistics will prevail and many will return to the rice fields.

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

6 months since I traveled down to Malaysia on the overnight train from Bangkok. Do you really think that everyone on the train was wearing a mask because of air pollution.

Well six months ago (January 2020) the WuFlu  had only just started to become news, the borders where still open millions of Chinese where being "lured" in there where big hopes for a huge influx at Chinese new year..so yes I think people at that time where wearing masks because of the very bad air pollution levels at that time (at times worst in the world) it occurs every year because of crop burning and certain weather conditions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

Well six months ago (January 2020) the WuFlu  had only just started to become news, the borders where still open millions of Chinese where being "lured" in there where big hopes for a huge influx at Chinese new year..so yes I think people at that time where wearing masks because of the very bad air pollution levels at that time (at times worst in the world) it occurs every year because of crop burning and certain weather conditions.

Delusional garbage, hazard suits and temperature screening at the borders because of crop burning.5555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

90% my want to ban foreignors BUT !!! They arent part of 5% that run the country. This 90% has as little input on how this country is ran as any Expat living here. Welcome to the Expats living in Thailand world.

DONT YOU THAIS JUST LOVE IT !!!!!!

I bet the people interviewed were mostly ''bangkokians'' from high-medium class . Not a case that during the clashes between yellow and red shirts , the first ones (Bangkok's elite party) were those who occupied the airport. High and middle class do not need foreigners , they can finally enjoy their holidays in Phuket , Kho Samui or even Pattaya without seeing the farangs barbaric hordes. I guess no MBK vendors has been interviewed nor anyone from Isaan province...

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Aussie Col said:

If Bali is too far for you to travel i would put money on the fact that Vietnam and the Philippines will be opening in December at the very latest to get their economies up and running again with the money that tourism will bring in.

Vietnam won't... they had 3 cases and kicked out 80,000 domestic tourists from Da nang and sent them to quarantine at their homes....

Some countries are trying to achieve zero new infections - but they forget that there is asymptomatic spread and then they test only when a person is sick.  It is impossible to eliminate the virus with these measures.  If a country wants to close borders forever (also no imports and exports as Hong Kong saw cases imported by crew on containerships), they should be free to do so.  Good luck to them and their standard of living.  Working on the farm was ok for hundreds of years, so why not go back?

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

......Working on the farm was ok for hundreds of years, so why not go back?

New thai generation grew up on video games , mobile phones and expensive motorbikes...To be honest , I've my doubts these people can return to work in the countryside gaining 3000 baht per month....