Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals

webfact

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Can’t expect anything else when they are getting totally brainwashed on a daily basis. Even some of the foreigners who are living In Thailand are spouting the same scaremongering nonsense. 

Maybe it’s gonna take a while to sink in the severity of the situation the country is heading for before they begin to wise up. 

Thaiand can not survive on its own. 

Er, yes it can and is better placed to do so than most countries.

The country is certainly facing some difficult issues, some of which but not all are Covid related.Tourism will be badly affected but the sector is less important than many foreigners understand ( though the economic details are easily accessible).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

all you  whiners go do your own  poll?  what  data are you using to say it was all uni students answering the poll?  this shows your ignorance.   Thai universities may not be world class but I think they know how to get a fair representation of the average  Thai.  My GF says its safe to not let foreigners in.  Yinn nailed it on the head.   Do you know how stupid America and most of the western world looks to Asia and Thailand right now?  

Aren't the top 5%  of the rich accumulating 75% of the wealth? so if tourism is only 12% of the GDP that barely effects the Masses.    Why would foreign companies shut  or not  open  factories in Thailand.   There will probably be a. allowance for business people to come in with quarantine.    all these tour guides and bar workers will have to be happy with 400 baht a day factory jobs or can go lounge around the farm.  And another thing there isnt bankruptcy in Thailand as Westerners know it.  ,The banks amd lenders will have to bite this bullet.   condos are going to  be hard to sell for all of you who bought.  

a) oh, so we are back to 12% of the GDP now, are we?! 

b) reconning there are millions of laid of workers in tourism...where will all the jobs for them come from?

How much expansion are you expecting from CP and others?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Really, a poll of only 1400 to 1500 people has virtually no validity, so the title Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals has virtually no validity. It's an insult to my intelligence.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

What does that even mean other than working here equates to already here, not arriving.

That means, having to leave, never to come back!

And that is, what the comment said, you were commenting on!

You are welcome!

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

My weak maths gives me a total of 264.72% questioned and answering to reach the percentages shown in the article.

Probably the reason I'm not good at these sort of statistics given in polls

You're right, your maths is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Funny thing about that.  Came back from a trip down to Phuket.  Upon exiting Suvarnabhumi airport, I went out to get a cab. First two in the que refused my fare for whatever reason, only going to Lumpini Park.  Next one the girlfriend took the ticket up to the Taxiand told him where to go, as soon as I got inside the driver started asking 20 questions. Where you from? You finish quarantine? Why you come as tourist to visit now with Covid. Had to show the stupid git my pink id card before he would believe I had not just come into the country. Truth be told it made me feel like he was scared I was infected......not a good sign.

Something i see many times with very stupid people is that they ask for some question (that is a good point if they listen the answer), but in fact, they never listen to the answer. They ask for provide a kind of polite form to tell you something, but they don't really ask and they definitely don't care your answer.

For example, when they ask why we come as tourist for visit now COVID, it is not only arrogant and a stupid question (someone, you think, come to visit COVID ? Why ?) when you explain him that your visa show that you are not a tourist (but he didn't ask before, so why himself is thinking you should be a tourist ? When Thaï people come in my country to open a Thaï food shop, they are not tourist... when my wife come to see me in my country, she is not a tourist... every time he see a foreigner, this one should be a tourist ? wow...) and that you have no COVID infection (and that you have a proof of that), do you think he understand your answer ? No, he can not because he doesn't want, he doesn't listen to your answer, because if he understand he should loose his face to be so stupid and arrogant (with his client).

So next foreigner again he will ask exactly the same arrogant and stupid questions and would not understand why he doesn't have tip all the day with "farang".

So if you explain him that there is not 0.01 % of Thaï people tested and that it is impossible only 1 on 55 die there and that is a proof to non-credible data, he would also hate you maybe ? If you told him some Laos people and Myanmar people leaves Thailand with COVID but didn't have at entry point, may he was able to understand something ? If you know Thailand, you know the answer, when some of them start to be arrogant and show stupidity without any doubt, it serve nothing to speak with them because they will loose face quickly.

What i mean about what i'm thinking to be not a good sign is not about COVID situation but about there very low level of study makes individuals ready to be indoctrinated by the first crude binary propaganda and exposes this population to always speak too quickly and to resent their interlocutor if they answer them intelligently.

7 minutes ago, JOE BAMA said:

Really, a poll of only 1400 to 1500 people has virtually no validity, so the title Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals has virtually no validity. It's an insult to my intelligence.  

Exactly, and an insult to Thailand too.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jacgermany said:

I don’t believe a country that depends greatly on tourism/foreigners coming here to spend money would banish one of the main sources of income to the country.  It is scaremongering.

Tourism is not the main contributor to GDP for Thailand and no one is "banishing tourism/foreigners" [sic].  It was an opinion poll, that's all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The foreigners they see are the noticeable foreigners. The ones wearing singlets, with prostitutes, tattoos, drunk in the mid-afternoon, body odor riding on the skytrain, talking loudly, arguing in the bank or the 7/11 because they are lost and confused, in a country they don't understand or care about.

The ones the Thais don't tend to see are the office workers, the managers, the quiet retirees tending to their garden, the married man taking his kids to the park etc.

I agree 100%.

Go now to look under the sky train... you would see the same profile but without any money and Thai nationality people, who try to sell methamphetamine drug. How many percent of Thaï people ? Not to much also. And it is like that everywhere around the world in big city.

So then what ? what is this idea of describing the worst to designate the whole ? Looks like racism... isn't it ? You know that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

From the full article.... What is the difference?

Paragraph 4: 94.51% want the Government to forbid all foreigners from entering Thailand

Paragraph 7: 33.43% want a total ban on foreign arrivals

It's very easy, those were the responses to two different questions.

Q1   "...On the question of how to prevent a second wave of infections, 94.51% want the Government to forbid all foreigners from entering Thailand...

Q2 "...In order to ease public concerns...33.43% want a total ban on foreign arrivals..."

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Tourism is not the main contributor to GDP for Thailand and no one is "banishing tourism/foreigners" [sic].  It was an opinion poll, that's all.

no, a propaganda.

We don't have real questions and they only ask to 1450 people. We also don't know who these people are and how they have been selected.

It is also one of the practice to make a propaganda to never be transparent.

But, it also like that for many other polls in many other countries (mine also).

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I can understand agree with this. I live in Queensland Aust., and don't want any people from down south coming into Queensland right now.

Are you serious do 

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This survey sounds fishy. First of all the media and certainly the government, cannot be trusted here. Second, if tourism makes up nearly 20% of the total economy, with all ancillary jobs taken into account, how could only 10% of those surveyed say they want foreigners back? 

Second, this hapless administration has been doing a great job of whipping the public up into a frenzy. Limited tourism, with testing could be a reliable way to provide some income to the tourism sector, which is hurting badly, and dying a slow and painful death. 

However, I get the fear. The world is not doing well. And we are quite safe here. I understand the fear of the Zombies. 

Im an old geezer and Im not getting the hysteria

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

That means, having to leave, never to come back!

And that is, what the comment said, you were commenting on!

You are welcome!

Thanks for the clarification with the inclusion of "intourist" it really made no sense.

when my employement is finished either by myself resigning or made redundant I will happily go home and never return.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
4 hours ago, Oldie said:

This is correct. Many posters here live in tourist areas and if some bars stay closed they think that Thailand is destroyed. Perhaps for some them... The majority of Thais has other priorities. 

Have you done a poll to enforce your belief that many posters on TV live in Tourist areas.  I think you need to check a little bit closer.  Many of us either live in Bangkok or are spread out in the provinces.  There are also many that are from overseas that live here with there families, but are currently locked out.  Some insight is needed before a statement can be made suck as what was made by lumping us all in as tourist living expats, and bar visitors.....

I think you need to check [his comment] a little bit closer!  He said "many", he was not "lumping us all in as tourist living expats, and bar visitors".  He was spot on.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

How such pitifully small poll sampling’s can be reported as the will of the people is beyond stupid 

It wasn't reported as "the will of the people"...

"Over 90% of respondents to a recent opinion poll fear the prospect of the second wave of COVID-19 infections and they want a complete ban on foreign arrivals in Thailand..."

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The foreigners they see are the noticeable foreigners. The ones wearing singlets, with prostitutes, tattoos, drunk in the mid-afternoon, body odor riding on the skytrain, talking loudly, arguing in the bank or the 7/11 because they are lost and confused, in a country they don't understand or care about.

The ones the Thais don't tend to see are the office workers, the managers, the quiet retirees tending to their garden, the married man taking his kids to the park etc.

Just a little bit of information for everyone. When I fly into Thailand to be with my Thai wife we stay together the whole time. We dont go anywhere unless we are together and its not out drinking granted yes maybe a few beers with a meal. Past few years when Ive been in Thailand weve been undergoing 3 failed IVF treatments rough cost $15k for the treatments plus me having sperm retrieval at a few thousand per extraction. Not including 2 vasectomy reversals done in Thailand at a cost of $15K. So weve been busy no partying like so many people think what Thai and Foreigners are doing. Ive also contributed to Burumgrad Hospital in Bangkok, and a fertility clinic in Korat. Spent much money and contributed to Thailand!

4 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

90% of 1,459 answering a loaded question, is NOT 90% of Thai people <deleted>!!! What garbage reporting. ????

Garbage reporting?  Perhaps it was garbage reading?

This is what was actually reported in the first paragraph...

"Over 90% of respondents to a recent opinion poll fear the prospect of the second wave of COVID-19 infections and they want a complete ban on foreign arrivals in Thailand..."

4 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Total BS............. 90% of the 'unemployed' and hotel and tour operators want foreigners to arrive.... and the sooner the better....

FAKE NEWS...........

It's not claiming to be "news", it's just an article about an opinion poll!

Edited by Bob A Kneale

1 minute ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Just a little bit of information for everyone. When I fly into Thailand to be with my Thai wife we stay together the whole time. We dont go anywhere unless we are together and its not out drinking granted yes maybe a few beers with a meal. Past few years when Ive been in Thailand weve been undergoing 3 failed IVF treatments rough cost $15k for the treatments plus me having sperm retrieval at a few thousand per extraction. Not including 2 vasectomy reversals done in Thailand at a cost of $15K. So weve been busy no partying like so many people think what Thai and Foreigners are doing. Ive also contributed to Burumgrad Hospital in Bangkok, and a fertility clinic in Korat. Spent much money and contributed to Thailand!

You are such a hero!

I hope, you and meeseeks are aware, that millions of tourists are coming to Thailand every year (well...were coming...) and the vast majority of them are nice people. leaving a lot of money in the pubs, restaurants, shops in all of the destinations!

The rest are the same bunch of yahoos, who are bahaving badly all over the world (still leave a lot of money)!

I know, you only would like to have the quiet ones, who stare ain awe at the x'th temple with the x'th Buddha, say nothing, trod silently on to the beach and go home -silently- after 2 weeks...and still leave the money!

You are exactly like your hosts, in which best case scenario you would like them to send the money and stay home! 

6 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Forbid all foreigners? Does.that mean Thai people who are registered living abroad with a foreign spouse too? Because they are foreigners too. Does it mean that all foreigners with property in Thailand who stay about 5 months a year in Thailand, go eat at restaurants, play golf, shop in expensive shopping malls, make trips with taxis and so on. Are.they not welcome anymore? Those.who sponsored and.delivered food packages to poor people and jobless people because of this crisis. People with retirement visas can not.come? Why? We like to be in Thailand. We help Thai people who are close. Make difference where needed. If you want to loose us please do keep rejecting our entrance into Thailand. We will spend our money somewhere else and let the government take care of you. I do hope the big moguls want to spend this kind of money.

Much of this talk is to soften returnees up so they will feel fortunate to be permitted back in even if forced to quarantine.

On another note people who don't like the poll results are criticising the sample size. 1400 is certainly a sufficient sample size.  A bigger issue is how random is the sample.

Obviously keeping the border closed kills the tourist industry and also has a trickle down effect.  However throwing the border wide open could eventually force mandatory business closures, beach closures, curfews, lockdowns etc. So there could be negative economic consequences to the resumption of tourism.  

A reasonable course would be to open the border to certain groups subject to a quarantine, probably in a government facility.  If working well it can be expanded to anyone who is willing to quarantine.   

• Like 1

Good luck Thailand may soon realise that loss of tourism is only part of the down turn they are going to experience there is a serious world recession that is going to impact of parts of the economy. Vietnam has already opened up to tourists and will take similar steps to encourage other industries from Thailand 

I assume that the vast majority of the Thai's that were polled are government workers in Bangkok!  Those dependant on tourism for their livelihood are rarely found in government offices. 

what a load of B.S.

I bet they didn't ask any of the business owners and employees who depend on foreigners.

They don't seem to understand the implications of banning foreigners to the country, at least 20% of GDP plus all the money given to Thai people/girls/families to support those families.

The ones that were asked should all be sent back to their farms and live on som-tam and Lao-kauw.

The leaders of this country were successful; brainwashing and fear worked beyond their expectations.

thaisabai

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai’s are not this stupid. One has to wonder how ‘loaded’ the questions in the poll were...

i.e. Should we allow foreigners in from countries with high covid numbers? 

or should we allow the risk of foreigners bring in covid? etc 

They did not ask if Chinese were foreigners, nor do they believe China brought the disease in

They are very brain washed with some of my friends wifes now believing it was filthy farangs who caused this problem , nothing to do with LOS leaving the border open to china till late march.

4 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Aside from tourism, who will buy all the condos in BKK, Phuket, Pattaya?

Next step.. who will build any new condos or houses? 

How many foreign companies will start manufacturing in Thailand

All this money will disappear... back to the rice fields and farms for the majority of the population. 

The rich will be fine and come and go, the middle class will disappear. Seems like a great plan!

It isn't a plan, it was a poll.

3 hours ago, innosiem said:

this poll was done in a university, where obviously the students do not depend on tourism
this is not a poll of "random people" but a specific group type

"...this poll was done in a university...this is not a poll of "random people" but a specific group type"

Where did you get that information from?  It was done by a university, not in, a university; big difference.